Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/international-calling/

https://www.mintmobile.com/features/international-roaming/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I got fi as a second sim thing now for my pixel 4a 5g and it does not switch to sprint anymore at all which is great

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I came pretty close to trading in my pixel 3xl in for ~$165 for a $50 moto g power.

How does the trade in thing work? My display has a big old scratch on it, but not cracked. Do they take off money for that sort of thing? Do you think that trade in is totally stupid? Seems close to a side grade. Losing the OLED screen is a bit sad. Thoughts?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did Google nuke being able to make calls from your computer with your Fi number? It's a feature I use a lot and I tried making an outgoing call today and I can't seem to place a call in Hangouts or Voice

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Did Google nuke being able to make calls from your computer with your Fi number? It's a feature I use a lot and I tried making an outgoing call today and I can't seem to place a call in Hangouts or Voice

Just did one right now and it worked fine for me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It's removal is in progress.

https://9to5google.com/2021/04/01/classic-hangouts-shutdown-voice-fi/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Let's put everything into one place!
Let's shut down some of it and split everything up!

Google's like a cat that wants to go outside.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you've enabled messages for web you can make/receive calls from https://messages.google.com/web

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

THF13 posted:

If you've enabled messages for web you can make/receive calls from https://messages.google.com/web

It's a drat shame that there doesn't appear to be a way to log into Messages without having your cell phone on you.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Having everything in Hangouts was honestly the sticking point for me staying with Fi. Now that it's dead, I'm really considering Mint. It's way cheaper, and there's no real reason to stay any more.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

THF13 posted:

Is that still rolling out? As far as I know I'm still making calls via hangouts and I don't see anything new on messages for web letting me call.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Is that still rolling out? As far as I know I'm still making calls via hangouts and I don't see anything new on messages for web letting me call.

I tried messages for web and I can't place calls there either.

Thanks google :)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I tried messages for web and I can't place calls there either.

Thanks google :)

Same. Can't do it from the app, either.

pointlessone posted:

Having everything in Hangouts was honestly the sticking point for me staying with Fi. Now that it's dead, I'm really considering Mint. It's way cheaper, and there's no real reason to stay any more.

Yeah, I switched to Verizon because of this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got it figured out, it's still in beta but I tried to make a voice call over hangouts today and it didn't work.

I had to sign out of messages web, and there was a little beta advertisement for Google Fi users towards the bottom. I followed the steps there and it worked perfectly.

It's loving stupid that I have to turn off RCS for it to work, though. It's like two steps forward, three steps back, and one step forward again. But maybe a half step back again also?

What a goddamn mess to get there, at least it's functional and nicer than voice calls over hangouts was.

Dissident
Jun 1, 2000
Jesus I came into this thread to whine about the same thing. Looks like its Mint or TMO for me too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone notice any sort of difference on Fi 5G? I'm debating whether I want to upgrade from my P4XL when the new Pixels come out later this year.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the standard advice is to ignore 5G for now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone notice any sort of difference on Fi 5G? I'm debating whether I want to upgrade from my P4XL when the new Pixels come out later this year.

I've seen the 5G symbol a lot on my Pixel 4a 5G but I don't feel like spending a couple of dollars on bandwidth to run a speed test. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's high bandwidth but only at close range. All I've really done is play magic the gathering arena in a hospital parking lot a couple of times on it and it seemed quick but so does LTE.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Would it be worth getting a Pixel 5? Currently have a 3 and I believe the 5 is the last pixel with unlimited storage for photos and whatnot. No real need since my 3 works fine but not sure if they'll change their mind on the 5 or something in the future.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Would it be worth getting a Pixel 5? Currently have a 3 and I believe the 5 is the last pixel with unlimited storage for photos and whatnot. No real need since my 3 works fine but not sure if they'll change their mind on the 5 or something in the future.

I'd only consider upgrading if it isn't doing what you want it to. You should have updates until around the end of the year when the Pixel 6 comes out so you might hold out for a black friday/cyber monday deal on one of those if you can wait. Have they announced that the Pixel 6 won't have unlimited storage? Everything past the OG Pixel only gets unlimited storage on compressed images so I wouldn't bet on it not being included unless they've said so, but I could be out of the loop.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I'd only consider upgrading if it isn't doing what you want it to. You should have updates until around the end of the year when the Pixel 6 comes out so you might hold out for a black friday/cyber monday deal on one of those if you can wait. Have they announced that the Pixel 6 won't have unlimited storage? Everything past the OG Pixel only gets unlimited storage on compressed images so I wouldn't bet on it not being included unless they've said so, but I could be out of the loop.

They confirmed it either last year or earlier this. All Pixels past the 5 will not get unlimited storage, the Pixel 5 is the last Pixel to get free high quality photos and video.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en#zippy=%2Chigh-quality

Google posted:

Important: Starting June 1, 2021, photos and videos backed up in High quality will start to count towards your Google Account storage.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Chaotic Flame posted:

My pixel 3xl pretty much died and I've gone to a pixel 5 and have to say other than wishing the screen was bigger is better in every respect. Also the battery lasts forever, I've never had a phone able to go this long without a recharge.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

fondue posted:

My pixel 3xl pretty much died and I've gone to a pixel 5 and have to say other than wishing the screen was bigger is better in every respect. Also the battery lasts forever, I've never had a phone able to go this long without a recharge.

That's appealing. My 3 barely makes it to 9:00pm most days but think I can hold off for a sale like a goon further up mentioned. I just hope nothing changes between now and then.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If it's still available, get a Moto G Power for 50 bucks, trade in your pixel and wait for a deal. The Power's batteries will last more than 24 hours and it's not much of a downgrade from the pixel. My 3XL still has pretty good battery life or I'd do the same.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

You're not going to get a lot for a 3, but I jumped around between phones a bunch of time between buying and trading, and I feel like the Pixel 5 is going to be a phone I can actually get 3+ years out of without itching to upgrade. I would get a 5 and sell the 3 unless you want to hold onto it for tinkering purposes.

also, first day on Fi and signal is far better than VZW while out on local trails or in the massive VZW dead spots in the area. I have 5G at home for the next time a hurricane or snowstorm leaves me without power for weeks or blocks me in with a mixture of weather and downed trees.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 20, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've got a misbehaving 3-4 year old Moto X4 that needs to retire, aside from getting the $50 Moto G power, anybody have an opinion on the a more mid-range phone that I'll keep for another 2-3 years? I'm eyeing the Pixel 4a and the Moto One 5G Ace. Those last two are approaching the most I'd want to blow on a phone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Get a G Power and replace it the second you want something better.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Especially if they'll still give you $20 for your X4. $30-50 for a year or two beats $300+ for a couple of years and you'll have a cheap backup for when you do get something else down the road. The battery life on the Moto G Power is incredibly good and the camera is significantly better than the one on the X4. I honestly don't know why or how they are still available at $50.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm curious as to what exactly, if anything, is better about the 2021 edition of the G Power. As I recall it has a smaller battery and a lower res screen. EDIT: nm on the battery, but the 2021 weighs about 5% more and has a Snapdragon 662 vs a 665 in the 2020, not sure which is faster or more charge-efficient. However the 2021 may have a nicer camera.

I like my 2020 G Power, although I'm annoyed that it doesn't have NFC. My old x4 has that.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bloodplay it again posted:

The battery life on the Moto G Power is incredibly good and the camera is significantly better than the one on the X4. I honestly don't know why or how they are still available at $50.

"Note: This promotion ended on 2021-04-22 09:44:59 PST" :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It's the 2020 version that's $50. The 2021 version is the usual price.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i think it might be time to leave fi because I'm getting a replacement under device protection for my phone and i know Google will gently caress this up somehow

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's the 2020 version that's $50. The 2021 version is the usual price.

Click the promotion details

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That's for new sign ups. It still gives it to me for $50.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

a mysterious cloak posted:

That's for new sign ups. It still gives it to me for $50.

I'm seeing this when I look at it, too. Looks like it ended last week. It was for both new and existing Fi users. Tittiekisser is right.

quote:

Note: This promotion ended on 2021-04-22 09:44:59 PST. Terms are for reference only.

So much for that idea. :shobon:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm switching to the new Simply Unlimited plan next month. There's three of us on the plan, and we use enough data combined to make it much cheaper than the $10/GB plan. Also just did the payoff for my wife's current phone, so the bill should be way cheaper in a month or two. :feelsgood:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm seeing this when I look at it, too. Looks like it ended last week. It was for both new and existing Fi users. Tittiekisser is right.

Dammit

Maybe I'll see if I can dig up the X4 my son only used for like 6 months, I know we still have it somewhere.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

i think it might be time to leave fi because I'm getting a replacement under device protection for my phone and i know Google will gently caress this up somehow

The new phone came today and it was hassle-free. I'm happy to be wrong about this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: garbage YT Music app didn't work, had to clear cache and all my user data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Edit: garbage YT Music app didn't work, had to clear cache and all my user data

Nope, this is a persistent issue. Has anyone had YT Music refuse to download albums? Wifi or LTE, it changes to the circle but does not download anything. Multiple albums, multiple wifi networks. I cleared my cache and user data completely, and that let me download one album at night, but the following morning it does the same thing. It also doesn't allow the artist's name to be clicked to go to their artist page, nor when I click on the vertical "..." for more options does it give any cancel download options.

I sent a very angry feedback to Google but if this doesn't fix itself I'm cancelling my Music subscription, cause it's a trash service I only kept cause of my YouTube subscription. If I can't download music offline, gently caress off, I'm switch to Spotify.