Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I are up for contract renewal through Verizon at the end of July and my wife wants to switch carriers. I've been looking at Project Fi. I live just outside of Washington, DC. Neither my wife nor I do any traveling, especially out of country, for our jobs.

Are there any major downsides to Fi to consider? So far it just sounds excellent.

We both use about 3.5 gigs of data per month, split fairly evenly between us. I'll need to buy a new phone when we switch carriers, and my wife likely will too.

I'm a heavier text-messenger user than my wife. I'll need to start using Hangouts, is that correct? I've only used it a handful of times but nothing would change with the way my friends text me, right?

But really - what's bad about this service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Secondary "family" sims also only get 2G speeds or something but that's probably okay for parents or light users.

Can you please elaborate on this? My wife and I would be the only people on the plan. What is a secondary "family" sim?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Humerus posted:

There's no family rate on Fi so you would each need to pay $20+data/month. It may work out cheaper for you, it may not. If you both use 2 gigs a month, you'd be paying $80 in total, for example.

Plus the monthly installment for a new phone, assuming we don't pay up front.

This seems to be a good choice for us.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Question about transitioning to this service:

I have my 5X phone and I have not yet activated Fi service. I'm on Verizon in a contract until July 20th. On the 20th, do I need to call Verizon first to terminate service and then activate Fi? I'm not sure how this works.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I'm glad I asked!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Krinkle posted:

I hope you remember your account pin number, because they will not tell you what it is, or give hints, unless you drive to a verizon store with photo id. The pin number you use for literally nothing, ever, except transferring phone numbers.

I did remember it, thankfully.

I'm now fully on with Fi :toot:

Things seem to be working well so far but I only just activated earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in my monthly phone cost, that's for sure.

Question about Comcast Xfinity hotspots:

I've read it's a good idea to have this working on the phone to take advantage of the Xfinity hotspots out there.

When I go to my Comcast account to manage my hotspot, it returns this message:

quote:

You will not be able to manage your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature at this time because you do not have an eligible Wireless Gateway in your home.

I don't know what this means. I'm not using a Comcast-provided router. Maybe that's why?

But regardless, I should be able to download their app to my phone and it will connect me to hotspots around town, right? Does it assign priority to other networks? For example, if I go to my friend's house, who gave me access to his network, will the Comcast app try to connect me to his neighbor's wifi because they have a hotspot enabled?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm getting old and therefore increasingly unable to understand complex technology :corsair:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 20, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the reply. I connected to a Comcast hotspot yesterday and things seem to be working.

Question about Signal Spy Pro:

I bought the paid app and when I first (accidentally) tried to switch carriers, it gave me a notification. I think I hit 'No Thanks' or something to that affect and now it just brings me to my contact list when I press one of the carrier icons in the app. Any ideas?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of 5x issues...

I use a PIN lock screen due to wifi security requirements at work.

If I get a call and my phone is locked, I have to unlock my phone and then answer the phone. When I do this, the phone app crashes (but the call still works). Usually the incoming call alert stays on my screen and won't go away for a while when this happens.

Is there a way to disable screen lock when a call comes in?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ordered my 5X yesterday. What's the preferred protective case for it?

I got the Supcase here and I like it a lot.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Has anyone ditched Hangouts yet for the default Messages app since they announced web support yesterday?

I don't mind switching but I'm worried about missing texts. If I recall correctly, there was something funky I did when installing Hangouts where some texts went to Messages and some to Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I are existing Fi subscribers and I want to surprise her with a new phone for her birthday (Pixel 4a).

We don't appear to be on a family plan. When I go to my account, the plan says "Flexible Plan: One Person".

I'm struggling with logistics. Her birthday is May 28 so I need to order it soon. Will anything during the purchase trigger a notification that would be sent to her number?

I want to trade her phone in for credit but I don't know how that would work, either.