Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

What the gently caress? My Nexus 6P could connect no problem, anywhere, to any of the networks. It's not necessary for my job but it makes a project I'm currently undertaking much easier, and I just nearly threw my brand new phone against the wall in frustration. Does anyone have any tips or am I just SOL?

The courtesy Pixels are warranted for ~90 days. If the WiFi also doesn't work elsewhere, swap that poo poo out ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Does any cell carrier have an actually good insurance offering?

They're pretty much all Asurion, and Asurion is a blazing dumpster fire of garbage policies.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my suggestion is a fireproof safe or box to store papers like this. you can get a fire and waterproof lockbox for a couple of :tenbux:

Or if you want to go off-site, a small safe deposit box is super duper cheap at most banks and credit unions (assuming your local branch is large enough to have a customer vault). Like :10bux: a year at my local branch.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is signing up for Google Fi and buying a cheap 4G hotspot an option, or do they discourage that sort of thing? I’ve been able to find shockingly little information about it on the internet, which leads me to believe it’s not really an option, but I figured I’d ask anyway.

Data-only SIMs can only be added when you have an active Fi voice line.

So to even get started you'd need a compatible unlocked phone and a Fi SIM for that, at which point you might as well just use the phone as a hotspot unless you really need more battery life on your hotspot. (And even then you'd probably still be better off just buying a power bank for the phone. Edit: Do note, though, that European and Asian regulations are starting to get really strict about what levels of stored charge are allowed to clear security and board, so check ahead and don't show up at your first connection with a fully-charged high-capacity power bank.)

But yes, Google will gladly take your $10/GB for glorious foreign LTE data in any case, and 4G hotspots will generally work (though support won't offer help) so long as they are unlocked and compatible with T-Mobile.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 6, 2018

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Does this mean I use 2 gb on my phone, and 5 gb on my tablet, I still only pay $60 total for data?

Yes. Bill Protection varies with number of users, not devices.

Note that you can only have one phone line per user to discourage fatwalleters and the like from ruining everything. (So for example if you wanted to add a work phone, you'd need to add a second user, and you'd be bumped up to the 2-user Bill Protection tier.)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Going on three weeks trying to get my number ported.

Can I cancel and then get a new number from Fi?

Do you not currently have a temporary number assigned? If you stop the port you'll just keep that one.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Oh nice! Guess I should have done a little investigation before I left for Europe for 3 weeks lol.

It's only for Pixels so it might not have made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

rockear posted:

Hmm, the plot thickens... I popped the AT&T sim into my old Pixel 2XL and it works. I guess this is now well outside the scope of the Fi thread, so I'll refrain from making this thread my troubleshooting diary, but if anyone recognizes my problem and wants to PM me or something that would be appreciated.

Has Google been paid for the 5 in full? Google will eventually blacklist the phone if you owe them money (e.g. if you ported out before fulfilling a promotion's requirements, and they couldn't charge the card on file for the rest of the phone's full price). They've also occasionally hosed up and blacklisted phones they shouldn't have.

But AT&T should have be able to tell you if the phone's blacklisted if the rep was competent.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 18, 2021