Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Google fi now tries to force me into using the sprint network corpse, that is when it isn't trying to check if USCC has LTE, and if it doesn't sometimes gets stuck roaming on Verizon 3g.
If I use the t-mobile switch codes it stays on it for maybe half an hour on a good day, whereabouts before using the codes would force it to that one for 4 hours.

I am probably going to change to tmo or verizon whenever I switch phones back to an iphone because lmao this comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It was stuck on 1x on uscc roaming on verizon today again, trying to make phone calls randomly will make it give up on trying to stay on uscc and change to tmobile, hopefully stays there.

Got a visible sim card today, might try that or just switch to the family verizon because this is becoming unusable

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Well, they went back to the 2 day to fix if you dont pay on time, now they are going to make a bunch of people that probably wont have the money then pay twice.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
is my last bill for fi supposed to be $0, I thought they would have fixed the $0 billing issue before my billing date of 9th, but I got a bill for $0

Celexi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I was getting that on fi before porting to Verizon, TMobile or sprint it didn't seem to make a difference.
It only had started recently

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Its easier if you use the chrome extension as it is its own window, and you can indeed get text messages on it too, just don't get too used to it as hangouts is getting discontinued by december.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Thanatosian posted:

Even for enterprise users?

If what I've heard is true, most Google employees are still using it for their internal messaging client.

Yes

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9197126?hl=en

Enterprise users were supposed to have it discontinued already, however they decided to discontinue it at same time as the consumer one.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
You can install google messages as a pwa but you still need your phone to have a data connection, google has completely hosed up their messaging systems.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my pixel 2 xl still runs fine vOv

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Wifi-calling in google-fi is not native wifi-calling as if you were a tmobile or verizon customer, it's a weird voip ims hack that shows as wi-fi calling to the user.
(if you go to the info menu on android you will notice it is not provisioned for wifi calling) which explains why there is no wifi calling on iphone.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I got fi as a second sim thing now for my pixel 4a 5g and it does not switch to sprint anymore at all which is great

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

NewFatMike posted:

Hmm I might be misremembering something, I thought at WDC they announced that you could send texts from the browser, but I'm not seeing anything on it now :/

The only thing you can do from a browser is facetime if someone in ios/mac sends you a link to join their call

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm kind of sticking with Fi because of good deals on phones at this point. The $50 Moto G Power I got for my wife is such a value!

I still regret not buying that phone as a back up phone as it was almost free

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The insurance is not very good considering I have several credit cards and a debit card (!) that does the same as long I pay the bill with them at no extra monthly cost.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I switched to tmobile as I was tired of fi's weird wifi calling that isn't not native so adguard app or vpn apps easily break it and also so I could switch back and forth between iPhone and android without losing features, but I found something more to it.
I get like 4 or 5 times the speed of google fi on my regular magenta, it used to be that fi had same priority as tmo postpaid, I don't think that is the case anymore, rip.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It used to be as fast, i assume Google didn't want to keep paying for that and their contract renewal went for cheap with deprioritization

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've never had a problem with wifi calling and adguard +pihole
Well not since I got a orbi wifi 6 mesh

I mean adguard as in the app in phone not the dns

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-fi-price-drops-bring-its-basic-plan-down-to-20-per-month/
The pay-as-you-go Flexible plan's pricing hasn't changed, costing $17 per month per line for four lines and $10 per GB of data used, but users on this tier will get to make unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico.

nothing for the cheapskates?

https://imgur.com/a/hyYhHGX

I didn't realize that the unlimited data plans didn't have international and sim card data! The slightly lower prices are tempting. Last few months I have been paying about $62 a month for my and my wife's plan. We'll probably be going out more in the future!

Only the cheaper unlimited doesn't, the plus has everything.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

This is no longer true, my t-mobile sim card is much faster than google fi even on the flexible plan, on the same phone.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobfather posted:

What phone? Fi still doesn’t give 5g to iPhones, so you might be comparing 5g to 4g.

a pixel 6 in both cases

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobfather posted:

I’d encourage you to get Network Signal Guru to confirm your finding. As of August 2021, Fi QCI was 6.

I don't have a fi sim I can test this currently; I did check that app to see what it would show on t-mobile and all it does is "connecting"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

FogHelmut posted:

I am also a Pixel Pass subscriber and have been a Fi customer since it launched.

Customer service is abysmal though. You often have to make several calls before you reach someone who knows what they're doing. I've found that chat is terrible, calls are hit or miss, and email is great if you need a scripted set of instructions with no immediacy.

It's the opposite for me, the phone support is usually someone trying to rush me off the phone but chat I have got stuff fixed or escalated and fixed. Some chat agents have no idea what they are doing though

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Fi is going to possibly get annoying with the iPhone 14 if you don't have an eSIM already.

The iPhone 14 is eSIM only in the US and has no physical SIM card tray. But to switch to eSIM on an iPhone for Fi, you need to insert a physical card. I assume this isn't an issue if you activated Fi with an eSIM in the first place though.

EDIT:

Multiple reports of Wi-Fi Calling working on iPhones. Google now officially states that Wi-Fi Calling works on iPhone:

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/

you can scan the qr code from the webpage while logged in with your iphone, then open the fi app. it works, no need for a sim. I used to switch back and forth from iphone to android that way with no troubles.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
also pixel pass is garbage, its a disguised carrier plan that you can't easily leave with a massive financial hit.

at least the old pixel subscription if you leave you can get another carrier to pay the remaining balance. with pixel pass that balance would blow through all competitor reimbursement caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Finally