Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I'm one of those weirdos who's never sent a text message and still has a chunky flip-phone and is under 30, but I decided to take the plunge and pre-ordered a Pixel with the expectation that I'll be switching from Verizon (I'm not under contract) to Project Fi to give it a whirl knowing that I can switch back to Verizon if need-be.

Is there a good way to regularly log what level of coverage (voice/sms only, 2G, 3G, etc.) you have available and, ideally, what your position is as well? Once I've made the switch I'd like to see if there's anywhere I frequent where I lose service, especially if voice coverage isn't available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

mitztronic posted:

Due to Samsung's 5 billion dollar note 7 gently caress up, both Apple and Google are struggling to meet demand for large screen phones. Both the 7+ and the Pixel XL are going to have supply problems for a while at least. Personally, I'm hoping to switch to Fi sometime early in 2017 but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My understanding is that Google was already not planning to produce as many phones as they were planning to sell (have people wait rather than have too many phones? not really sure), so it's going to be particularly bad for Pixel availability

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered a Pixel (so I can switch to Fi) and I got a notification today to let me know it's going to arrive about 2 weeks earlier than the original date I was given. :toot:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
My the SIM card for my Pixel arrived over the weekend and while it took a lot longer than it should have to port my number over from Verizon (more on that in a moment) I've made the switch to Project Fi.
Fun fact: If you enter the account holder's name incorrectly (say, you enter it with non-letter characters that Verizon strips out) or you enter the wrong PIN (say, if it was changed to a letter based password for some reason) and you're trying to switch from Verizon, it's supposed to take a minimum of 6 hours for Google's system to let you try again.
This is really weird after an uninterrupted >11 years of using flip phones with a voice only line.

Also, I just bought Fi Switch because I randomly go from no signal to moderate to good signal at work and I think that's because it switches back and forth between T-Mobile and Sprint, respectively. That should fix the issue or allow me to manually fix the issue assuming I diagnosed the signal problem correctly, right?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
Sweet. Also, today my phone switched to US Cellular for the first time. I didn't even know they offered service around here, so that was a pleasant surprise.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

The Rev posted:

I'm fairly certain I'll be going Google Fi when I upgrade my old LG G3 to a Pixel 2. Question though - If I'm currently on a family plan via Verizon (and not the owner of the plan), how easy/difficult would it be to transition my number off of Verizon and over to my own Fi account?

When I went from a Verizon family plan to Fi, it took about two days to transfer because I'd been given the wrong password for the Verizon account and tried to do the transfer on a weekend when there was less support staff.

Should be smoother if you get all of the correct Verizon info in advance and do it on a weekday.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just bought a Nexus5X off eBay for 80 bucks. Plus I've had 30 bucks from HQ winnings ( :smug: ) sitting in my PayPal account for months, so real out of pocket costs for the phone was about 50 bucks.

Also, last chance for someone to give me their referral code before I ask someone from my office.

XU4013 is my code.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
In case this saves anyone else a moment of panic, I set my Pixel (1st gen, non-XL) to update, and I expected it to reboot. Apparently somewhere during the reboot process it crashed harder than I've ever seen and it was completely non-responsive.
Holding down the power button for about half a minute finally booted it back up, it finished the update, and it seems to be running just fine.
:shrug:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

I was just in Japan for two and a half weeks. My Pixel and my wife's Pixel 2 worked pretty much perfectly. My phone had a little trouble getting a GPS lock, but voice/data worked well.

Japan's actually developing a satellite system (QZSS) to augment GPS because of reception issues in and around their country, especially in urban areas, so that's likely an issue you would have experienced with any device that was only using GPS satellite signals.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
I went to check if my Fi Credit from buying a Pixel 3 around Black Friday had posted, and I saw a notification saying that referring someone now gets you a $100 credit (through Jan 8) instead of the normal $20, so here's my referral link. drat.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Javid posted:

Don't give an 11 year old a fi phone, imo

FTFY.

On a more helpful note, Fi should handle calls and text just fine without a cellular connection if you've got adequate wifi signal.
Fi slipped in a "feature" a while back (which I believe you can opt out of, but I'm not sure how) which uses a small quantity of cellular data while you're on wifi to route you through a google VPN/make them more money.
IIRC, it's supposed to be somewhere around 10% of the bandwidth goes through cellular at max, but if your kid is running tons of HD video content that could add up pretty quickly, so that'd be something to look into.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

My phone's power button became super sensitive sometimes and is clicking itself and opening the camera and going into bootloops. Fi support had me factory reset the phone.

1. My phone number doesn't work until I install the Fi app.
2. I go to log into my Google account on the phone and it asks for two factor identification.
3. I can't get a SMS code because of #1.
4. Luckily it sent a direct message to a tablet I'm logged into. What if I didn't have a tablet?

SMS integration with hangouts means you can get SMS 2FA codes in your browser on any internet enabled device.
I actually prefer to get auth codes on my PC because it's easier to copy and paste them.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

smoobles posted:

My PC makes ringing sounds whenever someone calls my phone. Is this a Google Fi thing? How do I turn it off?

...how do I turn that on?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

smoobles posted:

Oh cool, I figured it out! Thanks. It was gmail, and there's a checkbox to turn it off.

This is the bit I was unaware of.
The hangouts integration is one of my favorite features of Fi and I figured out how to send calls, but I apparently need to dig up that setting to receive calls from my computer.

Thanks.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

hhhat posted:

what is the setting?

I couldn't actually find it through gmail, but it's accessible through hangsouts.google.com and I assume that then applies to hangouts within gmail.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah it's pretty batshit

If I'm reading that correctly, at $10/gb, that speed test cost $2.53.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This may be a question for the Android thread, but is there a way to browse and restore deleted voicemails? My mother passed away overnight and while I do have one VM from her, I'd like to check for any others.

Google Takeout may help with that.
I don't know how VM deletion is handled, but I would assume that if it's still accessable server side without getting Google involved, it'd show up in your Takeout.

Good luck and my condolences for your loss. :(