Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just purchased a Nexus 6p and hopped on Fi. Looking around, I see people talking about apps such as 'Signal Spy' and 'FiSwitch'. Should I be trying to utilize those?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the $10!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been enjoying Project Fi's low prices but I think I'm going to have to move off it. I've had a suspicion that I've been failing to receives texts, or getting large delays, and I was able to confirm it today. I was in a group SMS and I received 4 texts up to 6 hours delayed from everyone else, and this was in a mixture of Wifi and cellular signals.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here use Google Hangouts with Project Fi? I keep hearing about Hangouts but I haven't used it yet. Is there any downside?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Am I correct in assuming that the video throttling Sprint and T-Mobile performs will impact Fi, since it rides on their network?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a Nexus 6p on Fi. I'm still stuck on the July security update, and no sight of 8.0. Do I need to factory reset the phone to help it find new monthly security patches?

Has anyone got the 8.0 OTA update yet?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't have a 6P, but it sounds a little odd that you don't have the August patch yet. I think all of the currently-supported Google devices let you go into that one settings pane and manually force the device to look for updates, so that might be something to try.

For the 8.0 update, I got the OTA update onto my 5X by downloading the OTA image from the official Android developer site and putting it onto the phone via ADB and the recovery firmware. I did this yesterday and it worked fine, but I would suggest not doing this unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

One other thing, the OTA image page where I got the file appears to say that they don't have an 8.0 OTA image for the 6P that works with Fi yet. There might be a "factory image" that works, I didn't check, but factory images wipe the whole device, so :rolleyes: at dealing with that.

Thanks for the info. I have manually forced a "check for updates" and it happily informs me that my system is up to date.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dyscrasia posted:

I'm in the same boat, 6p on fi with July update. Just today, I suddenly got the August update. Still no 8.0.

Yeah, I got the August update but still no Oreo. :mad:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought it was they weren't doing replacements on out-of-warranty devices. Oh well, my 6p is chugging along for now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Running a Nexus 6p on Fi. Just got the system notice that OTA Android 8.0 is available. Do I roll the dice?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Glass of Milk posted:

I updated my 6p to 8.0 and had no problems- my battery issues predated that update and didn't get fixed by it. My second 6p came with 8.0 and randomly rebooted, so YMMV I guess?

Looks like I waited too long. The system update for 8.0 disappeared, checking for system updates states that I'm up to date on 7.1.2 with August security.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like I waited too long. The system update for 8.0 disappeared, checking for system updates states that I'm up to date on 7.1.2 with August security.

Shortly after that post I got the system update notification again. :tinfoil:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Javid posted:

Man, for all the issues the 5x has, mine tanked some serious drops without any screen damage. Including more than one where it landed screen down on asphalt. No case ever.

Ride or die, naked for life.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The number of robo calls that have been ringing my phone has drastically decreased. I don't know if its due to the Google Screening functionality or what.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
About to travel internationally for my first time on Project Fi. I have a Pixel 3 XL. From what I can tell, when I land in Germany, things will just start working?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That is great news. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got back from my trip overseas. Fi worked more or less flawlessly. Everything worked without issue I landed in Germany, and when driving in to France and Switzerland.

I also dropped my Pixel 3 XL in Switzerland and cracked the screen. :suicide:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone had any luck with 5G on Fi yet? I'm looking at the recently announced Pixel 4a 5G (what a name). The Fi 5G coverage map shows 5G in my area but we all know how reliable those maps are.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Are you playing it over bluetooth or just the phone speakers? I've had issues with bluetooth.

Also, Fi is now selling samsung phones with some big discounts at the moment: https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/8/21508169/google-fi-samsung-galaxy-note-20-s20-5g-map-tmobile

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does Fi typically do Black Friday sales? My Pixel 3 XL is all busted up, back camera glass ruined. If the 4a or 4a 5G becomes available for a sale on BF I'll probably try to snap one up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone had issues with MMS texts not being sent? A couple of times now I've sent a picture from my P4XL on WIFI and it says sent Now MMS but it was never received. I think they were on an iPhone with TMobile.

Wonder if wifi has something to do with it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone notice any sort of difference on Fi 5G? I'm debating whether I want to upgrade from my P4XL when the new Pixels come out later this year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

azurite posted:

Just a random comment:
Switching off of Fi can be a massive pain in the rear end if you leave RCS turned on. Much like the Apple equivalent, Google will blackhole chat messages unless you do this.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

I had to use BOTH methods before it would stop trying to reach my phone over RCS.

This is one of those things that I'm sure I'll get bit by when I do eventually jump off Fi down the road. Thanks for the info!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is the iPhone experience on Fi at this point? Everything working as it should?

My Pixel 4 XL died so I dusted off my old Pixel 3 and am considering what phone to go with next. I haven't had an Apple product since the original iPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’m using the iPhone 14 Pro Max on Fi and it works perfect for me. 5G works now but there’s still no visual voicemail in the Phone app and you must use Fi’s app bit other than that, it works fine.

Thanks!

I know it's subject to a lot but what kind of speeds are you seeing on Fi 5G?