Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So when does Fi's WiFi handoff kick in when I'm out in public? With as prominent as login portals and secured WiFi networks are in places like Starbucks, what networks is Google keeping track of to automatically latch onto when I'm in range? I don't think I've ever come across an open WiFi network - even local coffee shops protect their network with a simple password. It's starting to seem like Fi's "aggressive WiFi tendencies" are just a marketing bullet point that doesn't pan out in reality.

Edit: And I've enabled all of the necessary WiFi-handoff-related settings according to the Fi docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My first bill came in - I only used 494MB of data since December 14th :aaa:

This was way beyond my expectation. The T-Mo data usage page used to say I utilized about 6GB per month, so I figured with cutting out some music streaming in the car while driving here and there I'd get it down to half that. Whether that was true or not (aside from not listening to as much streaming music in the car, I haven't really used my phone that much differently), Fi's going to save me a poo poo ton per month, about $55 compared to the unlimited plan I used to subscribe to.

As an aside, I did the math and it turns out that if you stream music at 40kbps (for example DI.fm lets you set different streaming rates per data connection type), you only burn through about $0.17 of data per hour :eng101:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah but 40kbps sounds like butt too :rimshot:
That's true, but its 40kbps AAC over my car's sound system. It's good enough when driving around town :v:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to force wifi calling for incoming calls? Sound quality is leagues better when I make outgoing wifi calls but incoming always defaults to the shittier-sounding mobile network.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ordered my 5X yesterday. What's the preferred protective case for it?
I'm a huge fan of Cruzerlite cases, specifically the TPU BugDroid case: http://www.cruzerlite.com/bugdroid-circuit-case-for-the-lg-google-nexus-5-2015

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Wasn't Google Fi's support pages at one point saying to not use Hangouts for SMS? I can't seem to find it right now but I swear I came across that a few months back so I just stuck with Messenger.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is call quality on Fi really lovely? Even when going from Pixel to Pixel, my girlfriend's (who's on Verizon) voice sounds like it's coming out of a tin can. I used to believe it might have been a combination of her old SGS5 + Sprint. Since she switched networks and phone devices, though, the fact that I'm still experiencing lovely incoming audio quality has me wondering if it's Fi to blame.

Is decent-sounding incoming phone audio restricted to wifi calling?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone received the Android O update yet? I figured us Google fanatics would luck out and get it fairly soon after it was announced but nothing yet :qq:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The Pixel has the hardware to support all the major US carriers, but there would be any reason why my wife's Verizon Pixel wouldn't be eligible for Fi? I'm considering adding her to my existing Fi plan and want to make sure there's no special gotcha to consider beforehand.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the Snapdragon 630 in the X4 going to feel slower than the 808 in the 5X? I guess it really doesn't matter, I'm in the same boat as azurite so I should probably just trade the thing in. I'm still curious about the difference in CPU performance, though, since I've had it in my head that the 6xx series is kinda crummy compared to anything 8xx.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone here suffering from this issue? It started for me this morning and I thought it was the person I tried calling until tonight when I called a couple of other people and heard a recorded message say, "We are unable to complete your call at this time. Please try again later".

Until it's fixed it looks like I'm stuck forcing T-Mobile, huh?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Those of you who preordered the X4 and traded in your 5X, have your trade-ins been processed yet? I sent my 5X in a little over two weeks ago but I'm not sure if the trade-in status screen I'm seeing means they received my phone:

Step (2) Phone Not Assessed says the phone hasn't been received, but below that, under Condition when received it details the supposed condition of the phone when they received it. So which is it?

I know the 4X's haven't shipped yet, but I just got billed tonight for it so it must be going out soon. I'm mostly worried the 5X got lost in the mail, I'd like some stronger indication that it made its way to Google as expected.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Anyway, is there a goon consensus on a protective case for the X4?
There aren't a whole lot of choices for the X4, so last week I gave up and ordered this Spigen TPU case for it. It looks adequate on a blue X4, and the buttons don't take much more pressure to fully depress.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Anyone here using Hangouts to handle SMS? I've abandoned Pushbullet because it seems the developers have too and now I'm really bummed out about the inability to send out SMS from my desktop. I know MMS is hosed in general unless you participate directly from a phone, but I'm wondering if Hangouts is okay to go back to for one-to-one messages from my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nocal posted:

I use an app called Join to text from Chrome. It does most of the stuff pushbullet did.
Join is a pretty solid contender to Pushbullet if you use Chrome as your regular browser. Unfortunately I switched back to Firefox thanks to Quantum, but a Join extension for Firefox still doesn't exist.

It's all good, though - I didn't really use actionable notifications anyway, so being able to send SMS from Hangouts is the perfect substitute for Pushbullet for me.

fknlo posted:

I'm just glad I'm not completely out of the loop by still using Hangouts. There's all those other options out there and I was worried I was on the same level as the really old people still paying for AOL.
It's weird to me that Hangouts is usable for SMS if you're on Fi, but not as an SMS handler for non-Fi users. I guess with Fi being able to handle SMS and phone calls over the internet they're able to integrate better into Hangouts? :iiam: