Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I'm still confused about the phone numbers. Right now I have my carrier number and my Google Voice number. I've used both for a long time for different purposes and I want to keep both. Is this possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

My phone should be at my house when I get home today. My old plan isn't up until the 18th of next month (Straight Talk), but I want to start using my 6p immediately because I'm an impatient child. Would it jack anything up if I went to Wal Mart and got a Straight Talk Sim Card to use in my 6p until my current plan expires?

E: Just chatted with Fi support and they said there should be no issue with this.

Tots fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 21, 2015

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Person with an iPhone is sending me texts and they're only being received by hangouts and in the details they are marked as "Project Fi Messages". What is this?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Any ideas why I am not receiving notifications when I get a text message? I have hangouts integration enabled with hangouts as my default messaging app. Currently I won't know I received a message until I open the hangouts app and check.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

If your 6P is having battery problems compared to your Galaxy S5 I have to wonder what you're doing with it or if possibly you got a dud. I can get 3 days on my 6P sometimes. 1.5 with heavy use.

For reference this is what mine looks like.

Woah, what's your screen on time? Is that stock? I don't get anywhere near that. I get about 10 hours with ~3 hours screen on.

E: Whoops, I was reading it wrong. I get about 23 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Regardless, what's your screen on time with that life?

Tots fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Any recommendations on battery apps to view more detailed/better battery usage info? Also, I have to ask why this thread is anti root? The only reason I'd root is to stop intrusive ads, but since they're everywhere it seems like a big plus to me. Are there any downsides? Can I still get OTA updates if I gently caress with the hosts file?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

AFAIK bricking/malware isn't really a concern when rooting a nexus device. I'm really only interested in stopping some of the really bad offenders for intrusive advertising. The other day imgur must have gotten a bad advertiser and I was getting lottery winner popups on my mobile with every link I visited. I was trying to not root and allow the ads since it's the ethical thing to do IMO (bills gotta get paid somehow) but that was the last straw for me.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

withoutclass posted:

If the Imgur app is using the JavaScript to native bridge and the malicious advertiser happened to know which native methods the Imgur app has attached to the bridge and some how were able to forcibly install an application that would pop up web pages whenever you happen to click a URL, then I guess I could see that happening. Seems pretty far fetched on vanilla unrooted Android to me though.

It was via the browser, not the app. I think it's going to depend on your browsing habits too. Some places I never see a problem, some places are one time or very rare (imgur) and some places are frequent offenders. The bad ones are really bad though.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I use the imgur app on my 5x and cannot recall seeing any ads. In chrome, on news sites it rampant though. Where on mobile imgur via the app are ads presented?

It was via the browser, I've never used the app. Maybe now's a good time for me to download it.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ixian posted:

(the day when a malware ad gets through and finds a way to gently caress with phones is coming, just like has long been the case for desktops).

I'm sure this already happens, but likely not on as big of a scale as desktop yet. Look at stagefright, it's not hard to imagine that someone has found and used a zero day via mobile browser.

Anyway, getting closer to the topic of Project Fi, I got spigen thin case for the Nexus 6p. It was cheap, looks good, feels decent for grip. The bottom by the charging port though, it sucks. I put my pinky there when using it to stop it from sliding and it's got this sharp edge that is really uncomfortable. If you use the phone with your pinky on the bottom like me then I'd advise against the spigen case.

Tots fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 3, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Is anyone else running into the issue of not being able to initiate a SMS message from a PC? I can reply to any conversations that I've already started, but if I'm trying to start a SMS conversation with non-recent contact I can't figure out how to do it. Typing in names pulls up anyone in the world with a Google+ (I think?) account which is not helpful at all.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you type the phone number in the search box it'll let you send an SMS to it. Of course it doesn't autocomplete with your contacts' info because :google:, but if you have the number memorized it works fine.

This is dumbaf and I honestly can't imagine why this is an issue that wouldn't have been addressed.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

How is Fi in general as far as service goes? Currently using At&t with a 6GB Family share plan of which we might use 2GB on average which means if I switch to Fi it would cost me about $40 dollars a month per line where I am currently paying about 99 per line. Any noticeable signal issues, call quality issues or just sms, mss woes?

That's going to depend heavily on where you are. Any major metro should be fine. Fi uses a combination of Sprint/T-Mobile, so in theory any place where either of them has service will be good to go. Personally, I haven't had any service issues so far that I didn't already have on AT&T (like an occasional dead zone when travelling).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I don't know why you are having issues. I use the Chrome Hangouts app. Clink the phone icon at the bottom of the left panel and you have all your contacts. Search by name at the top, click SMS on their name in the results.

Ah, okay that works. That is definitely unintuitive though. I have to click "Make a Call" then start typing before being able to send the new SMS. I would expect typing in the main box to search would look in "My Contacts" instead of searching "People on Hangouts" (people who I have 0 relationship with).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Google Project Fi: Yes it works on other phones. No you shouldn't.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Is anyone else's compass absolute bullshit? Was getting really frustrated trying to do some city walking today.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Hitting about $40/mo which is just a little bit less than I was paying with Straight Talk (I'm also way more conservative with my data now though).

Honestly, the 45/mo for 5gigs was a better deal with Straight Talk and I might switch back.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

If you have wifi at work you'll rarely go over 2 GB a month I think. I use directions and pandora a lot or else my bill would probably be 30 a month.

Depends on the use-case. I go right around 2GB every month just from being places. Stores, car service, restaurant, bar, someone else's house. Normally I'd use a lot more too, but I've stopped streaming music in my car which I used to do.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

Can you elaborate? Is t-mobile slowing down or blocking access to streaming services that didn't sign up with them? If not, then I don't see how this isn't good for the consumer, t-mobile or the streaming services. It's a win/win/win right?

IMO it directly conflicts with net neutrality. It's giving bandwidth preference to certain providers. If a consumer has to pay per unit of data used for service X, but doesn't have to pay per unit of data used for service Y then it looks like service X probably is doomed to fail just because it wasn't already established.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

Is t-mobile giving bandwidth priority (QoS) resulting in slowing down of other services? If yes then I agree it's a huge net neutrality issue. That's a reduction in value to the consumer.

Sounds like X isn't offering any additional value so of course a consumer is less likely to use it. If they offered compelling service then I would use it like any other metered content?

As long as all the data is coming through at the same speed, I don't see an issue and instead see it as value-add for the consumer. Crying 'bbbbut its not FAIR!' when you offer nothing better over the competitors and insisting that everything is metered seems like a loss for the consumer.

Okay, well maybe you would be happy to pay $10 base per month + $10 bandwidth per month for "NetflixAlternative with slightly better algorithms", but me (and I suspect most other people) would just pay the $10 per month for "Netflix".

You don't see how that can be unfair and heavily abused by a company like Google?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

How do you figure that you're paying more? This is value adding, not subtracting.

Tomato Tomato.

Megacorp owns the pipelines and MegaMusic.

Megacorp's default billing system is to bill you for each pip in the pipeline, but if you use MegaMusic then you don't get billed for any pips.

If everyone is using Megacorp's pipeline, then why would anyone ever use BetterMusic if they have to pay more? The end result is paying more for BetterMusic regardless of whether the billing structure is "Don't pay for MegaMusic! :)" or "Pay MORE/get lovely service for BetterMusic".

The end result is more money being paid for one service rather than another at Megacorp's discretion. Do you disagree with that?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

You don't pay more. You've already paid $50 with t-mobile for 2GB of metered data. T-mobile doesn't refund unused data like Google. I would use BetterMusic if it has something that Pandora doesn't. With T-mobile, I can get 50GB of music from Pandora and 2GB of music from BetterMusic totalling 52GB of data for $50. If t-mobile was forced to stop this, I would get 2GB of data for $50.

If t-mobile are slowing down bettermusic and making it unusable THEN I have a problem with it.

I see your point, and I agree that in this specific case it probably is not harming anyone. My position is that it can (and will) be abused, so we should address the net neutrality aspect of it sooner rather than later. I'm imagining a large TeleCom with their hands elsewhere (Google/Comcast/etc..) that owns pipelines and imposes a bandwidth cap on those pipelines making it increasingly unappealing to use content services that they don't own. If my only choice for internet is Comcast and they impose a 50GB monthly limit on their service and say "But ShitStreamer doesn't count towards your limit!" like they're doing consumers a favor then that's a big problem for other content providers. Sure you can still use NetFlix, but you better believe you'd be getting up to that limit and you'd eventually end up paying more.

E: And of course the argument would be "but T-Mo is doing it, why can't we?"

All or nothing IMO and I'd rather nothing.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

The only drawback is it's slow 3G even in major European cities. Using Google Maps is 'OK' on foot but if you're in a vehicle it's pretty useless. Referring to t-mobile here. I don't know if overseas data is 4G where available on Fi.

Speaking just for US here, but I usually download maps for offline use before going on any longish road trip, then signal doesn't matter.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I have to say, I just got Comcast because I'm moving and holy poo poo they have hotspots EVERYWHERE. Fully expecting my Fi bill to be lower this month.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

I put in my info once and it's connected to every hotspot that I'm in range of since seamlessly. (Also I bought my own modem BC I'm no dummy.)

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Which are on sale for 40bux right now! Buy buy buy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...type=10&veh=aff

E: also you'll get to take the equipment rental off your bill which is 10bux a month. Just note that you'll need a router as well if you have more than one device/want WiFi.

Tots fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Only has 8 downstream channels meaning it's already obsolete for some packages, no? It maxes out at 100 down on TWC, you have to have 16 downstream for higher (at least on TWC).

Do people anywhere actually get 100 down? That seems like a fantasy to me.