Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh she has (for the last couple of days). She's on chat hold now.

I'm waiting for my Nexus 6p, but I'll be transferring my number from AT&T, so I'm hoping that goes smoother.

Transferring from AT&T took maybe 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
As soon as I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger my phone actually started idling over night. I'll probably never install them again, and just continue using the mobile web site.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

No you give them your debit card or checking account info and they automatically deduct your payment the first day of the billing cycle.

You can also use a credit card to earn sweet sweet rewards points.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Update on the short codes. After 2 support calls and some engineering tickets it seems like I am magically getting short code texts now.

Also hangouts versus SMS. The reason I like hangouts is that I have the app on my PC and I can send text messages directly from my PC while my phone sits idle. I can also make and receive phone calls from my PC. I think that is a REALLY nifty feature.

Sprint sent me an email yesterday saying that my bill was ready. I freaked out as I had paid my ETF and final bill over a month ago. It was for 0 dollars. I think Sprint is sad and misses me. I know it's anecdotal but I see a LOT of people buying Nexus phones and moving over to Fi. I bought a 5X for my 66 year old mother and she loves it. Her bill went from 80 at ATT (plus the overages she got every month for going over on data) to 35 because she is at home on her wifi so much. I do wish we had numbers on how many Fi users there are.

How is hangouts working for you? Does mms (group and picture) work? Isn't it still not recommended?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FunOne posted:

Got the SIM card today, activated and ported my ATT number. When I tried T-Mobile a few years ago I had no service at the house. Now I'm rocking LTE on Fi, so no idea if that's Sprint or just better coverage. Porting was super easy.

Now I just got to decide if I should run SMS through hangouts or use the normal channel. Whats everyone else doing?

You can use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novvia.fispy to find out

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Ixian posted:

What? MMS works fine in Hangouts, I use it all the time. I get group texts and photos too.

Are you taking about using hangouts as your MMS/SMS app, or actually having your SMS delivered via Hangouts (you get SMS/MMS on desktop hangouts as well)?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
That's really cool to know, thanks!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Tried switching to receiving SMS via Hangouts. Promptly started missing plain old SMS, welp.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
If I were to wager a guess I'd say that it has more to do with the contractual agreements between Google and T-Mobile/sprint. I could easily see there being an agreement not to allow Google's customers to only run on one network.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
If the Imgur app is using the JavaScript to native bridge and the malicious advertiser happened to know which native methods the Imgur app has attached to the bridge and some how were able to forcibly install an application that would pop up web pages whenever you happen to click a URL, then I guess I could see that happening. Seems pretty far fetched on vanilla unrooted Android to me though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Seeing the occasional ad is really not enough motivation for me to break the underlying security model of my phone.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I'm running on 6.0.1 and its been fine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
MMB29K

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I think if you buy it through project fi you get automatically invited

edit: typo

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I treat my data usage like a challenge now to see how low I can go. This turns it into game instead of a bummer. Always on the lookout for open WiFi if I go out. Plus between work and home I'm covered by WiFi the majority of the day.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I've not owned an android phone where the compass worked and I've had Android phones starting with the G1.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
How's the Tmo/Sprint coverage in your area?

Also I did some lovely fuzzy math and it'll probably take you about 2 years to break even financially from this decision.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Please also factor in that you are buying another $500 phone to replace the phone you already have. Yes you may only be paying that cost over 2 years, but you're paying for these devices either way.

Edit: This also assumes you'd not get tired of that phone and want a brand new phone before the 2ish years it'll take to break even.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 2, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Obscurity posted:

I mean, I am using income tax for this so it's not a matter of what I can afford. I could buy the phone out right. I just wanted a way out of my current Edge contract in the process. No need to have two phone lines for one person. v:shobon:v

:ughh:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
If I had Cell connection flipping between 1x and dropping out I would just enable airplane mode at home and turn wifi on (I do this even with good cell coverage). The battery hit alone from trying to stay connected to poor cell coverage would be reason enough for me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I totally agree and I wasn't trying to excuse the problem, just offer a potential solution.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Google is super good about replacement phones and worth a shot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So I have tried to switch from hangouts to messenger. Set messenger as default and send a text to someone with messenger. Bam, reply comes in via hangouts. Wtf? This is a consistent thing and has happened before a few times.

Do you have hangouts integration enabled?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Project Fi, from what I hear, works awesome all over the globe, and data costs the same flat $10/gb.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Here maps with downloaded maps is #1 for offline caching in Europe IMO. You can search, navigate, etc all offline. Even has public transit directions included.

Edit: also the blue dot jumping around, as far as I know, shouldn't be impacted by how fast your cell network is given that it's just GPS data overlaid on top of a map.

I guess if you didn't have a GPS lock it could jump around to different towers or whatever, but still probably irrelevant to speed.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Since getting on Fi I've made it a habit of caching music, especially given the financial advantage of doing so. Play Music makes it pretty easy which helps.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Yes it does. It also happens barely ever in my life experience. I picked up some VPN service to make use of passworded/open hotspots with capture portals for this reason.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

TheLawinator posted:

Just had a random 800 MB of background data used on my 6p, sudden departure from my regular usage of under 200 MB a month. I saw someone else has the same thing, what was it?

I think there was some bug with Play Services and if you hit up support they'll credit you.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Are you using hangouts integration?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
They work in a pinch and range from worthless to OK. Most of the time I'd I connect to VPN while using one they become unusable so I try to avoid them unless needed.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I have poo poo reception in my office and I just leave airplane mode on to prevent battery drain. This has 0 impact on Fi due to hangouts integration and calls over wifi.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
If you toggle airplane mode on/off does it fix the issue?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Evil Crouton posted:

If I sign up for Google Fi and get a 5x but after a few months don't like the service, I can port my line and bring the Nexus 5x to any of the major US carriers. Am I missing anything?

That is how it should work. Many people are using it as a way to get the discounted Nexus.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It's pretty awesome for 2 factor auth codes. Also I haven't figured out why people dislike hangouts so much.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I only ever have voice issues on wifi typically, so it's a bit surprising to hear. Maybe an infrastructure issue where you're located?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Would be nice if it worked out for you but I can imagine Fi be vastly shittier in the boonies than major metro areas. Mostly because every service is lovely in the boonies other than Verizon basically.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

I had my T Mobile MotoXP and Fi 6p side by side in and around San Jose/SF/Oakland/Sacramento and up to Tahoe and it was actually more the urban areas that sucked more on Fi believe it or not. Despite the many choices it was always choosing Sprint 2g or similar poo poo whenever I needed to actually use it as a "cellular phone" and not an "internet device."

Well unless Sprint has worked some serious magic since I moved from San Francisco they were utter dogshit out west.

Have you tried using Fi Switch / Fi Spy to either see what service your 6p is on or forcing it to the same carrier?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Uthor posted:

When Project Fi automatically hooks up to an open WiFi signal and routes all your communication through Google's VPN: do you have free data at that point, or is it only for making calls?

It's just like being on wifi, just secured through Google VPN.

I have noticed that the LTE indicator doesn't turn off like when I'm at home though which is a bit odd.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Airplane mode, then turn wifi on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Drove from Chicago to rural Ohio this weekend. Only ever hit 3G in part of the most rural section of I80. Often when my wife's ATT iPhone lost data I'd have LTE. Project Fi owns.