Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Munnin The Crab posted:

I looked through the FAQ and didn't see mention of it, with their invite system can you start a plan with multiple lines or does each person need a Project Fi invite?

Each needs their own invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Waitttt, so you can't port the number back to google voice after? They offer that for 20 bucks..Now I'm even more confused. I figured the only thing you lose is the voice app, which has everything in hangouts anyway functionally. You "port" your number to fi, lose google voice app access, but then could port the number back to voice if you cancel fi, and then port it over to a carrier later...am I wrong?

From their website:

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6242352?hl=en&ref_topic=4596517

So if you want to change your number back to Google Voice if you don't want Project Fi, you can.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

boscoman posted:

You might want to contact the Fi support people, because my GV number ported to Fi in about 10 minutes on a Nexus 6.

Oh she has (for the last couple of days). She's on chat hold now.

I'm waiting for my Nexus 6p, but I'll be transferring my number from AT&T, so I'm hoping that goes smoother.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Humerus posted:

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

No, but my order says Dec. 3-7, so I figure I'm waiting anyway. I think I ordered around three or four weeks ago as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Ixian posted:

The disconnect between stores is annoying. It's pretty common to see giant companies act like a collection of smaller companies that sometimes don't talk to one another but Google has usually been pretty good about being seamless.

What I mean is, if you had ordered the 6p when it popped back in the Play store (which it is doing again with some regularity) you'd have it by now. I got an email last week that the model I wanted was in stock and had it three days later, including processing time. The Play store and the "Fi" store are not the same thing even though they might appear to be that way - separate back end, separate inventory of phones.

Of course, as I pointed out above, if you already have Fi - or you don't but are ordering it new - you won't get a Fi sim with it and "old" Fi sims (from 4 months ago) don't work with the new phones. So if you order off Play make sure you order a sim kit from Fi too. Which you might want to think about doing if you still have Fi store orders showing Dec 3-7 since Play store orders for most models are shipping, or were a day or so ago.

(If they show out of stock on Play again, set a reminder email, they pop back in stock all the time).

Minor customer service point for Google: After I complained via their feedback app about the unclear process they expedited my new sim shipment and it'll be here tomorrow.

Thanks. Personally, I'm not in a gigantic hurry because I still have five months left on my AT&T contract. I figure that at the absolute worst, someone has a massive sale on the Note 5 for Black Friday and I cancel this. Otherwise, I just let my ETF inch down a bit until it does.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

For anyone that was waiting, I had an original ship date of Dec 3-6th for my 6P- it shipped yesterday and was upgraded to overnight shipping so it should be waiting at home for me now. So they're turning these things around pretty quickly.

Same here.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Well, I had the exact same experience as Braksgirl. I tried porting my number from AT&T (she tried from Google Voice), and it would not work unless we gave them a fake service address. I think the USPS database that a lot of companies use no longer recognizes our address as a valid one. So, we gave them a fake address, and pretty much 3 minutes later, my transfer from AT&T was complete.

They're looking into it now because I'd rather actually have my real service address than a fake one, but we'll see what happens.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

After switching to Project Fi from Google Voice, I noticed that I wasn't getting voicemail transcriptions or notices of missed calls in my email any longer. I contacted their support, who told me that it was no longer available but to send in a request.

Just as I was about to try to configure something with Tasker, I found that if you log into your Project Fi account and scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see a link for Google Voice. Click on that, go to the settings icon, and in the voicemail and calls section, you'll see little check boxes where you can re-enable this functionality!

Considering I've missed a few calls at work because I keep my phone quiet and the 6p has weak vibration, this made my day yesterday. Just thought I'd share with everyone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just got my first bill, and seeing a $16 discount for refunded data was nice. Granted, I was hyper aware of it this month, but between wifi at home and work, it should be similar.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

The Drifter posted:

FYI - Google is having a promotion right now for $50 off the 6p. I just ordered my device (through Fi) about two weeks ago. I called support and they were able to credit my account, so its worth a shot if you recently purchased one.

Got ours in October. No dice. Worth a shot though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

photomikey posted:

Just started my port from Sprint to Google Fi. I was a SERO customer for 10 years, and my service with Fi over the past few weeks has been great. Happy to be rid of Sprint.

Well, you're using their service...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I've been using Fi for the last seven months, and my bill has been constantly in the $56-$58 range. That's cheaper than my old bill, but that INCLUDES my $27 no-interest payoff fee for my Nexus 6p. If I paid it off, I find myself only using 600-800 mb of data since I use Wifi at work and I don't stream music on the way home so my bill would be around $25-27 dollars.

My only small complaint is that every now and then I find a weird spot where it says I have no service. If I turn airplane mode off and on, then it finds LTE almost every time. It's a pretty rare occurrence, and I'm definitely happy with the service. If Google ever threw in free Google Play Music streaming like T-Mobile does, it would be a knockout.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Uthor posted:

Signal Spy has proven invaluable to me. Like at my sister's house, it defaults to Sprint, but Sprint is weird there and just sometimes stops giving me data despite showing full bars. Manually setting it to TMobile is annoying, but it at least fixes the problem.

Wow, I hadn't used this before and it's well worth the two bucks for the detailed data usage feature alone. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I will say that the USB-C charger that came with my HP Chromebook works great for charging my Nexus 6p. Doesn't work the other way around though (I get a low power charger message on the HP using the Nexus adapter).

One day, all USB-C chargers will be equal. One day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

One good thing about multiple networks, if one is completely down in your area, the other one picks up the slack. In certain parts of Louisiana, AT&T is down, and T-Mobile may be spotty in places from what I understand. Sprint worked like a champ on our way back from Mississippi.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Only if you're interested in seeing what network you're on, and if one network sucks particularly bad you can use the app to switch to another carrier.

This alone was worth the $2 for me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Fi is giving away $10 bucks in play credit to subscribers, credit to android police for tipping me off. fiholiday.withgoogle.com

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/06/project-fis-holiday-themed-site-offers-10-google-play-credit-and-cheerful-activities-to-subscribers/

Awesome!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

My wife's Nexus 5X decided to go into an unrecoverable bootloop this morning. No idea if it got an update, but it just started all of a sudden. I had to speak with one Project Fi CSR, then LG, then back to Project Fi before they'd agree to replace it. Apparently it's happened to a few people with 5Xs. Now we're just waiting for the email from Google for the replacement.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

THF13 posted:

My 6P went into a bootloop recently and Google replaced it without much fuss. I think it was a known issue because I found several people who had the same issue when looking for a fix and the recommended solution seemed to be "call google for a replacement".

My 6P was less than a year old and so still covered by the official warranty, was the 5X older than that?

Yeah, she got it in late October 2015, and they did a warranty exception for her because it was a known issue.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Does anyone know if the T-Mobile nerd plan allows Wi-Fi calling? That's one of the best things about Project Fi, using the home and work wifi to replace a weak signal in the basement.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Yes but it still uses minutes because gently caress you that's my name.

Lol, good to know. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just got back from a cruise to Cozumel/Progreso and Google Fi worked like a champ when we pulled into port. We only made one call (20 cents a minute) but the data and texts worked with no issues at all. It was a much better experience than when we used AT&T a couple of years ago and were trying to avoid roaming charges.