Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

air- posted:

Looking at switching to Fi - how well do the data only sims work abroad?

Here's what I have in mind: My brother is a current Fi customer and the idea is to have him add a data only sim that I'd use on my Pixel 2. I use Google Voice + Hangouts integration (meaning calls/SMS via Hangouts - so mobile data/wifi) and I go abroad frequently. Plus I don't want to lose the Google Voice number.

They work great. I have one for my wife, a couple for myself and one for my mother. They all use them in different countries (US, Canada, Netherlands and Kenya) and as long as data roaming is turned on they work perfectly. You just have to activate them all yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Does anyone know how well iPhones do on Fi? I know they don't do the network switching, but what about wifi calling? Does that work at all?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Whose network would they ride on? T-Mobile doesn't have service in Canada

Any of the big 3. Whichever has the best signal.

Fi is actually better and in many cases cheaper than Canadian plans. I've been using it for years.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"It's not a charge, it's a hold. You should see it released in 2-14 business days."

Is this accurate? Everything in the email says it's a charge. Should I give them the benefit of doubt and wait to see if this is true? Or try again and see if I reach someone else who tells me different?

What does your credit card say?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

treat posted:

what's the trick to getting MMS to work on Fi phones, then? For the first two years I had Fi I'd get every reply to an MMS as a private text messages from every participant individually. That's been fixed in the meantime but does anybody know what that was about?

I had that issue until a couple weeks ago.

It’s a setting/“feature”. So you can send mass texts and get replies back individually. Which I assume is useful for some reason.

In Messages go to the three dot menu, then settings, google fi (might only be needed if you use more than 1 sim) and “group messaging” is at the top.

I had it set as group messages in Fi and Mass Text on my Canadian sim. Which made it even more confusing.

It doesn’t seem very intuitive.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Edit: Didn’t know about the other levels of data plans. Apparently I’m not on the cheapest one.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

Pixel 5 question: I'm stuck in Canada (from USA) with a bad phone plan (Google Fi Flexible)

Since my Google Fi is on the eSim, could I go to a Canadian network and get a sim card with data only, for the duration of my trip? Would my Google Fi work concurrently for texts and calls, while the Canadian sim handled data?

Yes to all of that.

Unfortunately all Canadian wireless carriers are stupidly expensive.

And you can’t get just a data only sim as a prepaid/standalone, because Canadian wireless carriers are stupid (if you do find one, post it, because I’ve been looking for one for a while).

I used Google fi as my primary plan in Canada for years before finally getting a Canadian plan to supplement it (using fongo for texts and calls was unreliable at best) because it was much cheaper.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Works fine anywhere in Canada. I used to used it instead of a Canadian phone plan and I lived out east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Did you have any issues with them getting funny about using their service primarily not in the US? We just got it and I'll be splitting my time between Seattle and Vancouver.

I used it for almost a year as my primary plan, with few trips to the US. The only time it became an issue was when it was being used only as for data with no trips to the us for a long time (COVID). Then they cut off her data roaming, but should that happen they'll reinstate it after a length of time in the us.

You're not likely to have any problems.