Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm curious about it. One question I have is roaming: I've had Sprint for years and when I go out to the boonies, I roam onto other networks (used to be Verizon, but I'm not sure if they still have those agreements). Does that work for Project Fi too? (Ie, if I go somewhere T-Mobile/Sprint don't normally service, do I get pushed onto whatever roaming networks they have too?)

Also wonder if you get throttled data speeds vs. normal T-Mobile/Sprint customers...

I want a 6P anyway, so might eventually give in to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Ixian posted:

I've been on Project Fi (Nexus 6) since late July. I'm based in Texas but travel frequently - 5 countries so far (Mexico, Spain, England, France, Ireland - Republic and Northern) plus Colorado and up and down the East/West coasts. Yes, I fly a shitload for work.

I switched from AT&T for comparison. Obviously this is all anecdotal and as unscientific as it gets but I thought I'd share anyway:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Sounds tempting...

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

No. 9 posted:

I don't really like Hangouts. Does Textra work as it should on Fi?

I would think so. I've been using Fi for a few weeks and I've never liked Hangouts. I use Signal (for both encrypted stuff and regular old SMS/MMS) and it's worked totally fine.

I switched to Fi from Sprint and am still waiting for my final bill from them to pay off my ETF. So I've only been able to connect to T-Mobile since I started Fi, but luckily I haven't had any issues connecting to high speed signals during that time. But it'll be nice to (hopefully) get Sprint back as an option in a week or two when I actually get my bill and they let my phone back on their network.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I've been using Project Fi since early December and been satisfied so far. I got a Nexus 6P first and used it on Sprint for several weeks before making the switch.

Bummer: I had to wait a few weeks for Sprint to generate my ETF bill, which let me pay it off, so I could actually connect to the Sprint network. I paid that off and then Fi support wanted me to take out my SIM card, since I still wasn't connecting. Then I discovered my SIM tray was stuck and messed up. I RMA'ed my phone through the Google store, ordered a new one from Fi (oooh, gold!) and that one worked on Sprint + T-Mobile just fine.

Cool: Working with google/Fi support to go through that return process was really easy and comparatively pleasant. I'm still waiting for my refund, but they assure me it's coming through any day now.

Cool: Even though I wasn't able to connect to Sprint's network, T-Mobile was good enough in the Boston area that I never minded. I did go offline when visiting Maine for a brief period.

Bummer: I'm in the "I love just streaming music" camp as well. My first month, I used 2.8gb of data (I had unlimited data on Sprint, so it was hard to get used to). I've tried to download some music for offline playback, but sometimes I just want to play random things. This is still cheaper than the $70/month I was spending on Sprint, but I feel myself compulsively watching the data I'm using instead of just updating my apps or doing whatever I want when connected to Sprint's LTE.

Pretty cool: I just did a cross-country move to Oregon and Fi handled itself pretty well, especially along the highways. Western Iowa, most of Nebraska, much of Wyoming, and eastern Idaho were pretty rough going, but it worked pretty well otherwise. I was able to connect just about everywhere my wife's Sprint phone was and a little bit more in some places on random sub-par T-Mobile connections. I was surprised how well it worked in eastern Oregon and some other rural places.

Kinda Weird: I haven't had Comcast in years until this week and hadn't realized how ubiquitous xfinity wifi access points are in some places and apparently I can connect to them for free (?). I've found my phone connecting to it all over town, which will probably drive down my data usage a little.

Summary: Project Fi is pretty cool and doesn't suck as bad as other phone companies. Comcast probably still sucks, but free wifi is kinda neat.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

It looks like US Cellular is joining Sprint & T-Mobile as providers for Project Fi:

quote:

U.S. Cellular is the largest regional wireless provider in the United States, servicing 23 states, and today Google announced its network is now part of the Project Fi super-MVNO. Google says that U.S. Cellular coverage will be rolling out to "all users" in the coming weeks. USC's network utilizes LTE bands 5 and 12, the latter a band common to T-Mobile devices. Band 5 and 12 are, of course, both supported by the Nexus 6, 5X, and 6P.

This announcement brings Project Fi up to three carrier partners: T-Mobile, Sprint, and now U.S. Cellular. If you're curious if you live in a U.S. Cellular covered area, this map gives you a good sense of their first party and roaming LTE coverage.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

For about a week or so, anyone who bought a 6P from Fi or the Google Store got a free replacement Pixel XL if they had battery issues (even if you were out-of-warranty)...but as soon as the blogs caught on, they pretty much ruined it for everyone.

I got one during that time (64GB 6P ==> 128GB Pixel XL), but it still hasn't shipped yet and the original estimate was for delivery before yesterday. Hopefully it still comes through. I was thinking I'd finally give up on Android after many, many years, to get an iPhone this year. If the Pixel actually arrives, I guess I can hold off another year!

*edit*
I got an email that it shipped today :cool:

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

maltesh posted:

I'm on a PixelXL on Fi, over the last week or so, I've noticed much higher data usage over the past week, especially on Pocket Casts, which is /really/ strange, because I always had Pocket Casts set to /never/ download podcasts when off Wifi.

Fi app is reporting nearly 300 MB of usage today, and I've not done /any/ downloading off wifi. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm also on Pixel XL on Fi and use Pocket Casts everyday (wifi only like you), and I'm not seeing any data used.