Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ixian posted:

Japanese people love chicken more than most Western people who haven't been to Japan realize. This isn't a universal rule, but seriously, they eat fried and grilled chicken over there like they grew up in Alabama, I am not kidding. First time I went I thought it would be all Sushi and rice (and you can get a lot of that if you want) but the chicken is great. Which has nothing to do with Fi I know but thought I would bring it up.

rear end in a top hat, I want yakitori now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Just a FYI to anyone: I picked up a 5x to downsize from my 6, the SIM apparently is not compatible. I could make calls, SMS, but data and the Sprint network functionality didn't work; the Fi app would never go through the activation throwing am error. So a call to support and a link from them later, I've ordered a replacement SIM.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, they updated the SIM for the 5x and 6p. When you order one they ship you a replacement SIM too.

Bought mine via Amazon, so no SIM. :(

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fireside Nut posted:

Have a new 6p waiting to be activated. I read a chunk of this thread but didn't see a whole lot of talk about privacy with Fi (I know, Google).

But does anyone have any major privacy concerns? I already use a lot of Google products/apps because of Android but it sounds like all of your data passes through Google's servers when using wifi and they are likely to store/use it.

Although, the VPN over public wifi is a pretty neat feature.

Anyways, just looking for any feedback before taking the plunge and actually porting my number to the Fi sim.

Thanks thread!

Only the wifi traffic going over their VPN would go through their network, other wifi, no. I very rarely get the public VPN as most places have captive portals or something causes the functionality to not engage.

As for what they do with the traffic that traverses their infrastructure, I don't know.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I'm in the maybe bailing soon boat as well. I'm growing tired of Android, it performs like crap on my 5X (I'm guessing lack of memory), and it seems like every major release has progressively gotten worse. I'd hate to lose the hot spot functionality and additional data SIM (I use it in my laptop). All of this plus the fact the other carriers are getting their acts together, the value just isn't there for Fi.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dagon posted:

Why did my wife order her 6p from Huawei? :qq:

I ordered my 5X from Amazon. Thankfully LG warranted the dumb thing a couple weeks ago.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Well, Fi did a nice thing for me today, I'm in an area affected by Irma:

quote:

Based on your indicated billing zip code, we understand you may have been impacted by the recent storms. Whether you're searching for resources or reaching out to loved ones, we know it’s critical for you to stay connected, so we’ll be automatically applying a $20 service credit to your account over the next few days.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 12, 2017

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Anyone else with a 5X on 8.0? I feel like I'm having more UI responsiveness issues than before with apps that use standard UI widgets. Every once in a while, seemingly at random, I will tap a UI element and it's a throwback to the bad old days of Android 2.X/4.1 where it felt like almost any user action had the potential to drop a bunch of frames or soft-lock the UI for a full second. Maybe the ART JIT has to re-run or something, but it's still worrying.

Same. I just think the 5x doesn't have enough memory and I've thought this for many months now.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Data only Sims are nice. I have one in my laptop as well as my dedicated hotspot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Uthor posted:

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/pixel-4a-5g

I see that one can get a 4a5G for $300 on Fi, but it's for new customers. If I had a Fi account years ago, would I be considered a new customer or a returning one?

I clicked through one page and it asked about "reactivating" my account, so I'm not sure which it is.

I rejoined Fi recently, it wouldn’t let me use a referral code from someone.