Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Any recommendations on 5x cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's a Fi community Google Map document where they're trying to collect info on where all the Wi-Fi points in the world are.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm looking forward to Type-C replacing everything eventually (hopefully). That whole Lightning-style "doesn't matter if it's upside down or not" is way overdue.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hughmoris posted:

For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

Between $40 and $50, less now that I get Wi-Fi at work.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ranter posted:

If you stream a lot of netflix/hbo/hulu/espn and pandora/spotify/google/apple music when not on wifi, then t-mobile is really good bang for buck since it's all unmetered now (doesn't count towards your monthly data quota). Anyone already on t-mobile that uses the above a lot should probably ensure this is considered before switching.

Apparently, there's a big thing about how this goes against net neutrality, so I'm waiting to see if that goes anywhere.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

$199 is a fantastic price for the 5X.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There is an entire list of songs that you rated a thumbs up. It's an auto playlist.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I didn't know about this modem thing, and now I definitely want to replace mine. What's a good off-the-shelf modem for Comcast?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endless Mike posted:

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Noted. I'll be picking one up soon.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tots posted:

Which are on sale for 40bux right now! Buy buy buy!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...type=10&veh=aff

E: also you'll get to take the equipment rental off your bill which is 10bux a month. Just note that you'll need a router as well if you have more than one device/want WiFi.

Yeah, I have a nice Netgear router, so I'm good on that front. I'm actually getting it specifically for the rental fee thing, since I found that you can turn off the Hotspot.

Are the refurbs good? Just wanna make sure before I drop the money right away.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Airplane mode doesn't fix this?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Uthor posted:

How does one see which service they are on at any given moment?

There's a very helpful third-party app called Signal Spy on the Play store.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I actively use PC Hangouts on a daily basis for both text and phone calls with Fi, and it works fantastically.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

me your dad posted:

But really - what's bad about this service?

The heaviest of data users need not apply, and a Nexus phone is required. As far as I can tell, those are literally the only downsides to Fi.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I live in the Atlanta area, and I've had a problem maybe twice ever. Any issues are usually taken care of via Signal Spy, which you can use to change towers.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fantastic!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a mysterious cloak posted:

The reviews for Google carrier service are :laffo:

I absolutely love these. What did the update even do?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I got hit with the bootloop, and Google replaced my 5X at no cost, outside of warranty. Would a CAL be worth pursuing?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Isn't Squaretrade pretty much the standard? Like, insure the phone separately, because in-house plans are garbo?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Johnny Truant posted:

There have been reports of cellular data being used even when connected to WiFi, so I just err on the side of caution and turn it off.

I never checked my account before just turning it off, but I also just keep it off, for real, 95% of the time.

They only really do that if your WiFi is super garbo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FogHelmut posted:

I've had it using data in the same room as the wifi router.

It prioritizes the faster speed, so it's possible that your WiFi speed was shoddy at those times. I would rather it not do this, personally, but at least we know the "problem."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FogHelmut posted:

Is this $20 + $70? or just $70?

The regular plan has always been $20 + $10 per gig, max charge of $60 for data - effectively unlimited for $80.

Are they just saving the high users $10?

Yeah, this seems like something built for power users, especially with it coming with the 100GB Google One cloud storage. Fi made me really analyze my data usage and start downloading more for offline play, so with those habits, I have to see if this is worth it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, I know this. I知 basically looking at it as an MVNO that uses T-Mobile痴 network. In theory, I知 ok with this, as long as they don稚 deprioritize you from day one. If they DO, I値l probably just call it quits and switch back to regular old Verizon. It値l be more expensive, but at least I値l know I値l be able to count on having a connection wherever/whenever I need it.

If you're just looking for a T-Mo MVNO, you should just get Mint Mobile.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BrownieVK posted:

I currently have a pixel 2xl, and it's pretty fine for the most part. Would it be a downgrade to grab the 3a for $249? I'm kind of tired of a big phone and I know the camera on the 3/3a is better than mine.

I'm feeling the exact same way, so seconding this question.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I believe the 3a XL is OLED. Would that be a good equivalent?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope they announce a Pixel 4a next year.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BrownieVK posted:

I've read that only the group owner can finance devices. Would I be on the hook for my sister and have her pay me via PayPal every month for her device and plan?

This is correct, but they do have a system in place where it can request payment from your sister to you via Google Pay. The device will still be listed under her side of the account, but it'll be coming from you directly.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but when I got GPM, it was tied into YouTube Red, so even if I have to deal with YT Music moving forward (which I won't), I still have no-ads on YouTube, which I will never give up. That might be worth staying on board.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I said come in! posted:

On Project Fi with iPhone, you can't send images over MMS. Googling this I found a lot of people with the same issue, but there is no fix that I can find. This is over Messages, but is there maybe an alternative app that might work better and doesn't require that other users have it as well?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6205096?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

I remember struggling with this for a minute, but I used this to get it to work. Another site had this too:

quote:

Google Fi was previously insistent that no settings be changed on the "Cellular Data Network" page aside from what it needs to "work." So that meant "h2g2" in all of the three APN fields and "http://fi.g.co/mms/wapenc" in the MMSC area. You still need those four entries, but you also need to fix one and add one more thing.

Open up the Settings app, then go to "Cellular," followed by "Cellular Data Network." Now, in addition to the "h2g2" fields mentioned before, you'll want to change "http://fi.g.co/mms/wapenc" to "http://m.fi.goog/mms/wapenc" and add "23456789" into the MMS Max Message Size field. And that's it. Save it by exiting those settings, then restart your iPhone.

Give it a shot.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

accipter posted:

I fought this battle and never saw these before! Thanks. I finally just used the Google Fi VPN, which resolved my issues (but causes some others).

Edit: Oops, this is for the iPhone not my Pixel 3a. :stare:

...did it still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Deathlove posted:

I've got my kid on my Fi plan with an iPhone X, setup is pretty painless, but we had to do something or other to make text messaging work (if you google "no text message Fi iphone" or something like that, you'll find the solutions.

Group texts (her, me, my other child) definitely don't work, though I don't know if that's Fi or general iPhone/Android/me on RCS mismatch.

Group texts on the iPhone require a special setup:

Configure MMS settings
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
- Tap Cellular and then Cellular Data Network.
- In each of the three APN fields, enter h2g2.
- In the MMSC field, enter http://m.fi.goog/mms/wapenc.
- In the MMS Max Message size field, enter 23456789.
- Restart the iPhone.

I can't confirm this 100%, but I had an issue with both group texts AND sending images in texts, and this fixed both of those things.