Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to adjust to Messages and I'm hating it. First the good: It looks a lot better than Hangouts, and if I get a phone call, Messages for Web (M4W) and my phone ALWAYS ring. In Hangouts, the web version wouldn't always ring if I hadn't refreshed the page semi-recently. But M4W doesn't always sync messages, even though I've set it up. I have long strings of replies from other people to messages I sent on the other platform. I've resynced, restarted, refreshed, etc. multiple times, it's so spotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

So, I went through the last few pages of the thread because I wanted to see if people were happy about Google Fi, because I was thinking of switching carriers; my current one kinda sucks rear end, and Fi would usually end up with me paying less than I pay now. Also they'll let me pay over time for a moderate phone upgrade, which is attractive. But most of what I see is complaining? But AFAICT, complaining about non-Fi-related things, like app settings and whatnot? Gimme the skinny, is Fi any good as a carrier? Any problems moving a number over from another phone/carrier?

They've been great for me. When I did socialize, I'd get fast service in places my Fi-less friends got none. My only complaints are about the Messages app and its shoddy syncing with the web version, but that may or may not be Fi related.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Has anyone noticed more dead zones where they weren't recently?

Trying to figure out why I've been getting "emergency calls only" signal in spots where this wasn't the case before (like at the grocery store, where I absolutely used to have solid LTE/5G because we've been doing pickup for years and that requires letting them know we're parked) and it seems isolated to my phone since Dr Fauxton's phone isn't experiencing it. Toggling airplane mode doesn't reliably fix it, restarting does, and FINEXT dialer code does as well (as long as the signal's there)

Haven't changed phones since I got my P5/she her P4, haven't factory reset them, etc. Just seems like suddenly a particular band's antenna isn't working anymore, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense with the way this poo poo's all put together. Could it be related to whatever's going on with Tmo and Sprint?

I have. My fiance and I are both on Fi, and we've gotten that "emergency calls only" signal. It actually seems to be a false error sometimes. Since COVID I haven't been driving much, but last week I got the emergency calls only signal on my usual route to the supermarket, and restarting did fix it, but it was an issue.