Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

So, I went through the last few pages of the thread because I wanted to see if people were happy about Google Fi, because I was thinking of switching carriers; my current one kinda sucks rear end, and Fi would usually end up with me paying less than I pay now. Also they'll let me pay over time for a moderate phone upgrade, which is attractive. But most of what I see is complaining? But AFAICT, complaining about non-Fi-related things, like app settings and whatnot? Gimme the skinny, is Fi any good as a carrier? Any problems moving a number over from another phone/carrier?

edit: Hah, they might not actually let me pay over time, because I need to pass a credit check, and I've never passed a credit check, because my credit rating is low-to-nonexistent, because nobody's ever given me credit. 'Tis a vicious cycle. Well, we'll see how it goes.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Alright, thanks, y'all. I DO use very little data - by my math, I would come out ahead compared to my current $40 a month plan, because I've literally never come close to using my current 2 GB a month limit. And if I DO use a touch more (say, because I just got a new phone and am downloading things on it), no big chunky overage fees. My current carrier isn't one of the big three, I think, and coverage is spotty and I'm always dropping texts, so better coverage is also attractive.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Alright, I got one more question, only tangentially related but I figure there's a SMALL chance somebody might know: I was pretty excited to see the extra-efficient financing offer for the exact phone I was looking to get, a Google Pixel 4a, on the Fi website, so I tried to push that through. But I keep getting an error message on the credit check, saying the form is "incorrect or incomplete." Bullshit, says I, it's a three-entry form, and I know my name, address, and SS number. Error code OR-IACCT-06. Anyone else familiar with this issue?

The following is further info, but also rambling and complaining, so I sequestered it from the main body in case anybody wanted to read it:

I found a few people who said they had the same issue, and Google directed them to Experian (who processes the credit checks), but Experien directed them right back to Google. One person said that mismatching names between Google Pay and their Google main account was the culprit, and another said it was the address, but I checked and neither of those are the issue. I COULD make an Experian account to check my credit report, but it seems unlikely to be helpful, so I haven't done so yet.

It's a real bummer, since buying the phone outright would wipe out my meager savings - there's a couple cheaper phones on the market, notably the Motorola G series, but I have a G4 already and it has a problem with battery overheating causing ghost touches on the screen, very rapidly, making it impossible to use unless it's on Battery Saver (so whenever I charge it I have to fight it to get BS turned back on), so I don't want to get another phone in the same product line by the same manufacturer. And there aren't a huge amount of phones in that price range that I'm also confident will have longevity (Moto G4 ALSO has a problem with compatibility - it's a few Android versions behind, which is causing a few problems), which is why after a few hours of research I gravitated to the Pixel 4a.

Edit: After trying to solve the problem every day, I gave up and ordered the phone at (ugh) full price. Google Support couldn't help or anything. Sorry to clutter up the thread with the wall of text!

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 7, 2021