Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

BrownieVK posted:

If I am an existing Fi customer and I grab a new Pixel 3 today, do I only get the travel credit? The phone shows as $799 on the Fi app, what's all this talk of $200 off the phone?

Promo changed but some of the wording is still showing echos. The $200 is for BYOD and doesn't stack with the travel credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Bloodplay it again posted:

They've also already mailed me the trade-in box despite the phone not shipping for another 2 weeks so I guess it's a good thing I'm not trading in a phone I'm actually using! You'd think a company as big as Google would be able to handle this promo without bungling it but here we are.

In all fairness, the trade-in program isn't handled by Google. So it's a right hand/left hand thing

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I thought it was determined that the trade-in value won't get negated?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

FogHelmut posted:

Got on support again asking where my trade-in kit is. They said the kits have "been getting lost." I should have one in 7-10 days.

I requested originally Nov 28, then again Dec 16.

I think that's code for "our shipping partners are stealing them thinking they're phones" (or) "our returns vendor isn't sending them out because they're too busy scamming our customers on their trade-ins"

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I tend to do local SIMs, but Fi is a great placeholder for short stints! Their data rates just aren't competitive ($10/gig in the US is bad enough) compared to local rates... Hong Kong is 3GB for $12.50.

Morocco is $1/gb.

Ireland is €20 for unlimited across the EU.

(etc)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Using a Pixel 3a with dual SIMS and it's freaking awesome. My Malaysian SIM ran out of roaming data and I didn't feel like topping up for the 5 more hours I'd be in Singapore. Flipped over to Fi data in thirty seconds. Magic! Then once back in Malaysia I was able to use my Fi data to buy more Malaysian credit. Seems silly to go back and forth, but it's about $1-2/GB with a local SIM.

Related, it sounds like Google is experimenting with dualing Fi SIMS so it can fast switch between Fi carriers seamlessly without momentary loss.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/google-fi-will-soon-connect-you-to-two-lte-networks-at-once/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Wow. The app developer's name is Pervasive Group, Inc.

That's.. Quite the uphill battle with branding right from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Found the Fi Mini deal completely on accident because I was checking my data usage (got an alert that there was a spike).

Glad I read those messages at the top of my screen!