Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm out of contract with AT&T and my wife and I have been looking to change providers, so I'm the guinea pig! Ordered the 5X last night and we'll see how it goes. I know it's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper for how little data we use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The reviews for Google carrier service are :laffo:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've had surprisingly great service since I signed up, no missed texts or calls that I can't blame on just not feeling the phone buzzing. I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago and had no reception, but then the phone switched networks and I had a solid 3 bars.

Between Fi and cutting cable recently, I can't believe that I paid for basically mediocre service for so long.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just vacationed in rural Michigan, my signal was equally as bad as everyone else's. Phone still good, service still cheap.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My wife is out of contract with ATT finally, she's likely going to switch since I've had a really good experience.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Is it cheaper now to just add my wife to my plan and get an extra parcel of data,or should she set up her own poo poo? She's going to get the new Moto phone and I'm doing the trade in, not that it really matters, I guess.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My 5x has been great, now I'm sure it'll die sometime before the new Motos show up on my doorstep.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I ordered our Motos on the 29th, I think - got shipping emails yesterday.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We got our Motos today, mine set up in about 2 minutes. Wife's phone came with a bad sim card, so they're expediting a new one to her. She was super excited too.

Phone is pretty great, I loved the Moto X I had a couple of years ago and this is definitely carrying on in the same vein.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Only gripe about the Moto is it's freaking slippery and I already dropped it twice (luckily with no ill effects). Might actually invest in a case for this one.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I have the same case, it's minimal enough and lays flat on its back now instead of on the camera. Doesn't add much size and is way less slippery.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Got my trade in money from the 5x, despite being fairly certain I sent it out late. Cool.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Any other people with a 4x get powerfucked by 8.1? I can charge the phone, but absolutely zero data transfer. My car and PC can't even see the phone.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Awesome, that will wipe all my stored fingerprints and makes my phone accessible to anyone.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I may just try get a new phone while I'm in warranty. I'm not waiting 6 months for Motorola to squeeze out a patch for this poo poo.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oh cool, I bet I can get rid of my non-functioning-USB-Moto X4 and get another mid-range phone that...

Oh. $650 for non-motorola. I guess not.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Except the lovely customer service remains the same!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I actually looked it up out of curiosity.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We had Sprint years and years ago, they were okay at the time (which wasn't asking much back then) switched to t-mobile which blew rear end. Fi has been the most straightforward and easy to deal with service by a long shot of any carrier we've used.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think I tend more toward T-mobile, although there are a handful of places I've noticed at work (oddly enough inside buildings) where Sprint kills it big time.

Out in rural Michigan, however... you have to walk out to the end of the boat dock or drive about half a mile to get reception from anybody.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Javid posted:

Get an X4 and shout at LG until they RMA that 5x so you have a spare on hand.

This for sure. Had the x4 since last year and the only problem has been when an update broke Android auto and Moto dragged their loving feet getting it fixed.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So thinking about getting my 12 year old son a phone on Fi. He's definitely not getting a Pixel, so any suggestions? He would just need it for the usual crap. I would like to be able to lock down his usage and monitor him like we're living in an Orwellian state.

Bonus points if I can deliver electric shock to him on command.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Grabbed the x4 for my kid while it's on sale. He's going to flip out.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

canyoneer posted:

The Motorola karate chop to turn on the flashlight is the greatest thing

Definitely. That and the doorknob twist for the camera.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That is weird. I had replaced a card a couple of years ago and forgot to update Google Play, all it did was decline the card. I put in the new one, and that was it.

The only consistent issue I have is trying to get Google Pay to verify a card so I can use the app. It was working until I got a new credit card (although it was a pain in the dick to get the first card verified), now I'm back at square one again. It's not a big deal, and I just use the actual card, but it'd be nice to have it just work.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cromlech posted:

For people porting a number from a family plan on ATT to Fi, how was it? Painless? How long did the transfer take?

Painless and so quick that I didn't notice.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The 3a is $299 through the Fi app right now. Hmmm...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My son has decided to save up for an iPhone because he's 14 and that's what his friends have. I don't recall the exact model he wants, but are there any issues with iPhones on Fi? I know it won't do network switching, and I just need to double check the one he wants against Fi's list of compatible phones.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

He wants an iPhone X which is compatible. That sentence about no calls/text over wifi, no visual voicemail, and no data hotspots only applies outside the US, if I'm reading it correctly?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Started using YT Music and holy gently caress how do you design an interface this loving bad? If it doesn't improve when they make it the only option I'm jumping ship so loving fast.

That's what I've been reading. I'll probably just download everything and YouTube music can piss off.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Was holding off on YTM, still not sure if I want to move to it. I downloaded my library a few weeks ago so I won't lose any music if I don't.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I ported my library over to YTM, WTF did they think making a library playlist and an upload playlist? It's one library, jfc.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Youtube music sucks. Went looking for a particular album and evidently it didn't download when I got grabbed my whole music library through Google. Naturally now they want me to pay for premium to download the loving stuff.

Anybody using a third party app for music? I use it in the car and stream to a speaker at home all the time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I have those MMS issues on and off, too on a Moto X4, sending to either Android or iphone. Doesn't seem to matter which app I use for messaging, either. Sometimes it just goes nope!

I've noticed, particularly in the last couple of months, that Fi calls on wifi are really crap reception-wise. Always fun to try to schedule a doctor's appointment and run around the house to see if there's a better spot (there's not). It's just random and weird.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Dunno how long its been going or how long it will last, but If anyone else is looking for a decent budget phone, Google Fi store is selling Moto G Power for $50 ($200 off msrp apparently).
The discount terms are only for either new service activation, or transferring your existing Fi service from another device. So no buying to resell or use with another provider I guess.

Anyways, can't beat that price IMO, and I got to replace my somewhat aging Moto X4 for something with a lot more battery life, and better CPU, RAM, cameras etc.

Replaced my wife's X4 with this not too long ago and she really likes it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've got a misbehaving 3-4 year old Moto X4 that needs to retire, aside from getting the $50 Moto G power, anybody have an opinion on the a more mid-range phone that I'll keep for another 2-3 years? I'm eyeing the Pixel 4a and the Moto One 5G Ace. Those last two are approaching the most I'd want to blow on a phone.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It's the 2020 version that's $50. The 2021 version is the usual price.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That's for new sign ups. It still gives it to me for $50.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm seeing this when I look at it, too. Looks like it ended last week. It was for both new and existing Fi users. Tittiekisser is right.

Dammit

Maybe I'll see if I can dig up the X4 my son only used for like 6 months, I know we still have it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I hated every second of YT music. I ended up just downloading my entire library and am organizing it over time, because that was a far less painful option.