Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Humerus posted:

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

I ordered on Oct 19th, it just shipped on 11/4, and it says expected delivery 11/19-11/23. I didn't think that was too terrible, and that was through Fi with the SIM card as well. Looking forward to my shiny new 6p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Crossposting from the Android thread, I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing? Part of me doesn't want to "downgrade" though. Where can I find how many days I have to get used to this phone before I have a shot at swapping it?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Go to http://fi.google.com and click support and chat to a support person.

Turns out they don't do exchanges. I'd have to return this phone within the 15 day window and just order a separate 5x. Well, I have 14 more days to see how it is.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Another Fi NYC update

Finished my first month and got my first bill summary. Verizon might have the best coverage but on Fi I've noticed no coverage or speed issues at all, no dropped calls, no missed texts, and even got a rebate on my bill for unused data. Brand spankin' new phone AND $30 less than my Verizon bills? I'm a fan.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

2 gigs of data per month and my bill is running $60 and change only because I 0% financed the 6P. I typically get about $3 back since I only really use 1.7gigs/mo. My Verizon bill prior to this was $90 and change, and that wasn't even with a new phone. When Verizon changed their plans around, the equivalent plan still would have cost me $70+, again, without a new phone. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

the auschwitz diet posted:

Does anyone else experience apps crashing when the cellular network switches? Games like Clash of Clans/Royale and many others that normally would give a connection warning and stay open are simply crashing even if cell data is turned off and I'm on stable wifi. Is this a known issue? I found one thread on google forums but it had no acknowledgment of the issue.

This happens to me when I'm underground (like waiting for the subway) and it does cause whatever app I'm using to crash. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's usually when it's searching for a signal and eventually gives up. So when I'm going underground I just flip on airplane mode. It only ever happens once, though. Not constantly.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I don't know what it is or how to even begin troubleshooting this, but over the past few days, my 6P has been getting seriously delayed texts or like this morning, just straight up not getting texts at all (people I normally text with regularly telling me they texted me like 2 hours ago and I'm definitely showing no texts). I use the default text messenger, never used Hangouts or Facebook Messenger for texts. I only use my home wifi and cellular everywhere else. I've changed nothing over the weekend to my phone so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Has there been any kind of data outage thing happening on any of the carriers that could be causing Fi to be delayed in this stuff?

Edit: Even turning wifi completely off and restarting the phone I'm still not getting texts that I should be getting, just in case anyone asks 'did you restart your phone?' :v:

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 12, 2016

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I bought a 6p back in November 2015 and have been on Fi ever since. Even with 0% financing on my phone purchase, my bills are half what they were with Verizon. I'm not a power user or anything, but my 6p still works, my service has been rock solid (I live in a major city so really everyone is solid), and I average just shy of 2GB data a month. I just don't see a reason to switch off, really. I'll pass on the Pixel, but if the next generation Google phone is awesome, by then my 6p will be paid off and I'll start the cycle over again (especially if they offer another 0% financing deal).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

unbutthurtable posted:

Good to know -- I ended up cancelling my Google store order and putting in a new one through Fi. I'm not sure I can trust the delivery estimate this far out, but it seems like it won't delay it at all.

Is it different from ordering from the store? I'd rather do it all through fi and keep it all on my one bill than go through a separate payee. I already ordered through the store but I can cancel and reorder through fi if it keeps it all on my bill.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Am I missing something obvious with the current Pixel 4XL deal through Fi? It says $450 back in Fi credit when I buy/activate a 4XL. Can I use that credit on my phone bill? I don't really buy anything through the store outside of phones. If I can put that towards my bill it makes it worth it. Secondly, does the phone trade-in credit still apply or is it one or the other?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

couldcareless posted:

It is straight up bill credit from my understanding. So if you are already a fi customer is effectively 50% off the phone.

That pretty much makes it a no-brainer for me then.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

I know someone answered you about the credit, but you can still trade in your old phone on top of that too. I did that just the other day and it was nice. Somehow I accidently got free next day delivery too!

I made the mistake of doing the order through my phone and not the computer and I wasn't given the option to trade in my 2XL. I did submit a support email asking for the materials to do a trade in as well.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Deathlove posted:

I've got a 1200 sqft apartment and five devices 😑😑😑

I was going to say something similar. I live in a 450sqft studio and have a home mini. Still grabbed the nest mini and moved the home mini to my bathroom. Still feels a bit like overkill but it was free so why not?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Are there any major problems with using an iPhone on Fi? My fiancée is getting a new iPhone and we're looking at putting her on my Fi plan.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Deathlove posted:

There are certain things you need to do to get MMS working, googling iPhone on Google Fi will show you everything you need to know.

But imessage should still work fine, right? That's what matters for her, that and Whatsapp..

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

We are currently overseas in Latvia for a few months that could turn into longer. Currently we're on unlimited plus and I never thought about if they could kick us off eventually if we were outside of the US for too long?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Well poo poo, time to start looking up Latvian cell providers.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I have Fi right now using a physical SIM, is it possible to change my account to an E-SIM so I can use my physical SIM slot for another provider?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Ranter posted:

https://support.google.com/fi/threa...ixel-5a5g?hl=en

Apparently you can try removing the physical fi sim and activating fi again without it.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a pixel 6a. Fi is on my esimm and I have a second physical sim with another number/provider. Works fine.

Glad to see it's possible! Unfortunately it also looks like (in that thread) that activation has to be done in the US. I won't be back in the US for a while, I'll have to try my luck after I get a new provider.

Edit: I'm wrong, and since I'm am existing Fi customer, I can do the esim switch while overseas. The guy on the phone walked me doing it on both my phone and my wife's and it was practically seamless. Now we have two providers on a physical/esim combo on both of our phones and are all set.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I still have like $400 left on my 7 device payment, or I'd also consider the Fi deal for the 8. Although maybe I can still come out ahead a bit if the trade in value is decent.