Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have it and will probably switch back to cricket, since using a gig and a half makes using cricket cheaper.

The switching is slow and clunky, I often drop service. Fi Spy allows me to change networks over, but it's a pain.

All the pain of switching and dealing with that and my normal 70 dollar cricket bill was down to 69.40

So yeah. It's okay, probably a lot better if you're an international traveler or have wifi at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I use around 1 GB a month. I have no wifi at work. I just browse SA, Reddit, Facebook, twitter and random websites while crapping.

My wife has wifi at home and school and uses around .6 or .7 GB a month.

We modified our habits for sure, but it hasn't been an awful experience, and considering I'm saving over 100 bucks a month versus AT&T, I can deal with the hiccups.

I still may go back to cricket, but I'm not entirely sure. I like the idea of having a phone that travels internationally well, and I like being able to text from the PC.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just use FiSpy or whatever he's calling it now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GORDON posted:

I got Fi 2 months ago and spent $400 with them for the 5X, lump sum.

I asked them if they could hook a brother up with a little love over the massive price difference, and they credited me $20. Still sucks but better than nothing, I guess.

Did you buy with your credit card? Most have price protection around 90 days or so.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Drifter posted:

FYI - Google is having a promotion right now for $50 off the 6p. I just ordered my device (through Fi) about two weeks ago. I called support and they were able to credit my account, so its worth a shot if you recently purchased one.

Thanks, just got my 6p in the mail yesterday. Asking for a price match now.

e: They matched. The agents aren't aware of the promotion (yet) so you may have to direct them to the fi device add page or the google store, but they will give you a bill credit.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 11, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gilok posted:

Well I just spent around 550 dollars on Amazon buying a 64 GB Nexus 6P, a case, screen protectors, and three extra charging cables. That's an awful lot of money to me, so I hope Fi is really awesome. I'm on Ting now with a Galaxy Note 2, so it'll definitely be an upgrade.

On the plus side, if it sucks, you can take your phone to any carrier you'd like!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If they don't know how to check their data usage every couple days and know what the wifi icon looks like, I'd probably just do cricket.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, they updated the SIM for the 5x and 6p. When you order one they ship you a replacement SIM too.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My new 6p had a weird data usage spike Saturday where the Android OS apparently used 350mb while I went and picked up a pizza.

A chat with support and I got a 10 dollar credit this morning and they told me to just keep watch on it to see if it does it again before their engineers get it fixed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's because Sprint is absolute dogshit, ESPECIALLY in the KC Metro.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you don't order from Fi, you'll have to order a Fi SIM.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tots posted:

Do people anywhere actually get 100 down? That seems like a fantasy to me.

I have Google Fiber to go with my Google Fi.

So yes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would move.

We bought this house during the sign up period here, so I was actually signed up for a house I didn't own for a couple weeks.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Valicious posted:

I bought the 5X using the Fi promotion, I activated service on 4/2, and I just paused service today. The Fi promotion only specified you had to activate service, not keep service for 30 days right? Just making sure I didn't gently caress myself.

Is the risk worth the 10 dollars you're going to save by pausing? Just pay for a month of service and throw the SIM away.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

the current Nexus's haven't been in the wild long enough and you haven't seen big enough price drops to think that a new version is coming in the next couple months...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Massasoit posted:

I'm on cricket, the 35/mo 2.5 gb. I'm interested in a 5x and the discount for Fi is appealing but I'm not sure if I'd want to stick with Fi.

I use about 2.5-3gb of data a month since my work doesn't have wifi - would Fi end up being a bit more for me in that case?

Worth it to do a month of Fi to save the 150 on a 5x?

Activate it with a new phone number, then switch the SIM back to your cricket SIM. Cancel at the end of the month. Consider it a $20 tax charge and be done with it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My 6p is on Nougat and holy hell is the battery life poo poo at the moment. I imagine the next update will fix it, but it's annoying to plug my phone in as soon as I get home from work.

That's my story. Fi is still cool and good.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Javid posted:

You can use dialer codes to force it onto a specific network with or without fi switch/signal spy/etc. Supposedly if you let it alone for a while it will "learn" which one is best there and stop jumping around.

In the year I've had Fi, it's learned nothing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, the network picking/switching is bullshit. If I could just stay on US Cellular all the time (Madison, WI) I would have much better coverage. Instead it always seems to pick the garbage T-Mobile network. Switching between wifi and LTE is also very slow. When I leave my house in my car, I usually wait about 20 seconds (to let bluetooth connectivity sort itself out) before trying to play Spotify. In most situations, when I turn on my phone screen, it says I'm offline and it takes a good 10 seconds for the phone to connect to LTE. When I was on US Cellular, I never had this issue.

The Pixel itself is a pretty awesome phone, but Fi is less than perfect. A while ago I asked if there's any chance my service could degrade when switching from US Cellular to Fi, and the and the answer is Yes.

I thought you could use Signal Spy to switch to US Cellular, then turn off auto switching.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just re-initiated correspondence about a replacement.

E: Just got a 32gb Pixel XL for a 19 month old 64gb Nexus 6p.

I can live with that.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wait the email upgraded me to a 128GB device....