Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

It also will work in 120 countries, data is free (the same charge as domestic), but cellular use is 20 cents per minute outside the U.S.

The Project Fi expert I spoke with earlier this week said you must pay another $10 for 1GB of overseas roaming data, it doesn't come out of your existing USA data, but unused global roaming data is refunded as per the norm. I looked in to this because I am going overseas soon.

I'm totally signing up for this (got an invite already) upon my return. Don't want to risk any 'teething' issues while I'm away. I already have t-mobile, and just bought a 6p, so I'm keen to save $10 a month.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sounds like outdated Sprint talk. I also find it hard to believe if on wifi. At the very worst, that would be limited to using a cell tower on sprint. As a t-mobile user, I haven't noticed this so it wouldn't carry over to Fi.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

I have Sprint now and can use Data when I am on the phone so this seems weird to me.

Give project fi a call and ask them. That's what I did. No menus, no waiting on hold, straight through to an American dude.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Not Fi related specifically, but my 6p case that I bought off Google Store is in Fedex limbo hell (it's been 'out for delivery' for 4 days and Fedex are being useless) so I called Google Store support today and it was all Americans, no hold time initially and then the rep had to transfer me to shipping which was a 'warm transfer'; meaning he waited with me and handed me off after explaining to the next guy what we had discussed. That's call center A+ quality service.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Some redditors were discussing that Project Fi results in no data when using voice so I called Fi support and spoke with a guy called Kyle. Here is what he said (summarized):

If the local tower (Sprint or T-Mobile) doesn't support voice and data simultaneously right now, and you're not on WiFi, then this will be your experience too. You're going to get the experience that Sprint and T-Mobile customers get. If you have t-mobile or sprint now and can get simultaneous now, then it will be the same with Fi.

He added that in the last 3 months, I was the second person to ever ask this and then begged me to take a customer survey because feedback like mine is valuable.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I like the speck that I got from google store. It's chunky but it makes me feel more comfortable handling such a big phone. I used nexus 4 and 5s without cases but handling this monstrosity makes me paranoid.

Also, speck is german bacon.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

Wait.. did she pull it off the charger on it's first charge early? if she did that she's boned and has to send it in.. it will have corrupted that thing the battery uses to tell how much life it has left.

I haven't heard of this before with modern phones/batteries.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yep, when in doubt, factory reset and make sure installing all previous apps/settings is DISABLED so you're not bringing in lovely software.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Interesting. Any data to confirm this notion that Google is favoring slower sprint networks over faster t-mobile? Android is open source after all, so hopefully we can just look at the aggregated data and confirm this. At least for the area the tests were conducted in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So you're saying you have no evidence? OK.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

greasyhands posted:

Dark priest has to be one of those guys that turns off everything the phone can do to maximize battery life. There is nothing magical about all this, I get about the same battery life as you and all the battery tests published online indicate that it's normal. Overall I'm a pretty heavy user and I get a full day out of a charge so I'm happy

I get the same battery life as dark priest and I don't turn everything off, except bluetooth because I don't use it.

I echo the poster above and suggest verifying that Doze is working correctly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Chaotic Flame posted:

I don't have Doze. This is probably why if you both have it.

Doze is part of the OS. Are you using Fi on an old phone?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I only access imgur via the 'reddit is fun' app and get zero ads. I'm also using the free version of 'reddit is fun'.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sneeze Party posted:

Not exactly. My understanding is that the Moto X Pure will work with Fi, but it's unclear whether or not the phone can switch from T-Mobile to Sprint, or whether or not voice calls can work correctly over WiFi. I'm having a hard time finding what I'd consider to be good sources via Google, so I'm asking here.

Any GSM phone can, in theory, "work" on Fi. People in this thread have had it running on an iPhone. It's also a violation of their terms of service and the results are so far unpredictable. Maybe they will just ignore it, maybe they will disable your service if they detect it, nobody knows.

But you're going to have a hard time in general finding specific experience for non-Nexus 5x/6/6p phones since the majority are using the proper devices.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The amount of time it takes for the money you saved after switching to be greater than the up front cost of switching.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You don't have to be on Fi to use a Nexus. You could, if you really wanted, use a 5x/6p on Verizon.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There was an article out yesterday about how shitawful the Facebook and messenger apps are, draining battery and impacting performance of all other apps on Android. I uninstalled them and my phone seems snappier. Using an alternative app now instead (it delivers the Facebook web based app through a low resource intensive app complete with notifications).

Maybe it's completely unrelated, but try removing Facebook?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Metal.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you have bad credit and can't afford to buy the phone outright, perhaps also throwing away $400 on your current phone isn't a wise idea?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DizzyBum posted:

I was under the impression that airplane mode turned off all radio signals including wifi. Am I mistaken?

You can have wifi on in airplane mode. That's how you use wifi on an airplane.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Spending $10 for internet on a 5> hour flight is really worth it. At least on Lufthansa; their internet wasn't terribly slow.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are east<>west coast flights internet terrible? I only did it once, but I was business class so unsure if I got QoS. Also it was business so just expensed it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm not defending the quality of service, it's annoying to be sure, but SMS messages have always had character length limits, and I've had that issue where multiple texts sent at almost the same time are received in different order before with other carriers. Were you on wifi or a carrier when it happened? I don't think its the app doing it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Or consider using more txt spk 2 cut dwn on chrctrs ll

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Your sister is cute.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

That's my girlfriend

We know.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you stream a lot of netflix/hbo/hulu/espn and pandora/spotify/google/apple music when not on wifi, then t-mobile is really good bang for buck since it's all unmetered now (doesn't count towards your monthly data quota). Anyone already on t-mobile that uses the above a lot should probably ensure this is considered before switching.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Takoluka posted:

Apparently, there's a big thing about how this goes against net neutrality, so I'm waiting to see if that goes anywhere.

Can you elaborate? Is t-mobile slowing down or blocking access to streaming services that didn't sign up with them? If not, then I don't see how this isn't good for the consumer, t-mobile or the streaming services. It's a win/win/win right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tots posted:

IMO it directly conflicts with net neutrality. It's giving bandwidth preference to certain providers.

Is t-mobile giving bandwidth priority (QoS) resulting in slowing down of other services? If yes then I agree it's a huge net neutrality issue. That's a reduction in value to the consumer.

quote:

If a consumer has to pay per unit of data used for service X, but doesn't have to pay per unit of data used for service Y then it looks like service X probably is doomed to fail just because it wasn't already established.

Sounds like X isn't offering any additional value so of course a consumer is less likely to use it. If they offered compelling service then I would use it like any other metered content?

As long as all the data is coming through at the same speed, I don't see an issue and instead see it as value-add for the consumer. Crying 'bbbbut its not FAIR!' when you offer nothing better over the competitors and insisting that everything is metered seems like a loss for the consumer.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How do you figure that you're paying more? This is value adding, not subtracting.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Tots posted:

If everyone is using Megacorp's pipeline, then why would anyone ever use BetterMusic if they have to pay more?

You don't pay more. You've already paid $50 with t-mobile for 2GB of metered data. T-mobile doesn't refund unused data like Google. I would use BetterMusic if it has something that Pandora doesn't. With T-mobile, I can get 50GB of music from Pandora and 2GB of music from BetterMusic totalling 52GB of data for $50. If t-mobile was forced to stop this, I would get 2GB of data for $50.

If t-mobile are slowing down bettermusic and making it unusable THEN I have a problem with it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

I had that problem before, they escalate it and send you some really complex instructions. If they haven't sent you the instructions contact support again. Once I did the instructions it seemed to work from t hen on. I wasn't getting twitter or steam short codes for my 2 factor authentication. It works now. It's a KNOWN issue.

Do you or your girlfriend still have the instructions?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Those numbers to force you onto tmobile/sprint/autoswitching networks, those could be really useful for other things right?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why do you think it's Fi related? If you factory reset the phone, don't install any apps and it's still doing it then demand a warranty replacement.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The only drawback is it's slow 3G even in major European cities. Using Google Maps is 'OK' on foot but if you're in a vehicle it's pretty useless. Referring to t-mobile here. I don't know if overseas data is 4G where available on Fi.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 5, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Would that prevent the blue dot (you) from suddenly jumping ahead causing you to miss a turnoff in a strange European city?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This is good information to have. The GPS was all over the place on our last trip and it was a pain in the rear end.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Blue dot doesn't jump around where I live, but we ran into this issue in Germany and Italy with t-mobile. I don't know why, if its not tied to your network speed.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The following question isn't Fi related, nor is it even really an Android phone question, so if there's a better place to ask please just tell me to stfu and point me there.

I've given songs on Google Play Music radio 'thumbs up'. I cannot locate a history of what I thumbs up'd. How do I buy albums from those artists that were included in the radio channel but which I don't recall the names? Surely Google is tracking this so I can buy this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Takoluka posted:

There is an entire list of songs that you rated a thumbs up. It's an auto playlist.

Found it thank you