Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm tempted to switch. I'm with Sprint on a SERO 500 plan, contract is up this coming summer.

Currently on a Nexus 5, I could pay $100 and exchange it for a Gflex2 :p I'd rather exchange it for a G4 - if it could work on Fi someday, or ideally a Nexus 5X.

I rarely go over 1GB of data per month, although for some strange reason I'm sitting at 1.7GB this month. Still, affordable either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I were to guess, "via Project Fi" sounds like via Hangouts, are they substituting that for SMS over WiFi?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I got my invite in my email yesterday, but I won't be off my Sprint contract for a few more months. What happens if I accept the invite now?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

maltesh posted:

Near as I can tell, they send you the SIM Card, and you have to remember where you put it when you finally decide to activate the service. Other than that, nothing else changes until you activate.

Thank you, if that is the case then this answer helps. I'm on contract until July 2016 (although my ETF drops to the minimum of $100 in February), however my parents' contract with Sprint is up in January, and I'd love to guide them into making this switch.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How are payments made? Is a Google Pay account required for the monthly plan or just if you buy a phone with monthly payments?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 28, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Darkpriest667 posted:

No you give them your debit card or checking account info and they automatically deduct your payment the first day of the billing cycle.

For the plan? OK cool.

For the device, if paying monthly:

quote:

You must have a Google Payments account. You must maintain a Google Payments account and use it to make payments for the Device. Google Payments account is free to set up and if you do not have one you will be directed to Google Payments before you can check out. Your use of Google Payments is subject to the Google Payments Terms of Service.

From the Pay Monthly Device Plan Terms and Conditions

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Try looking up the ones Sprint and T-Mobile use? That's at least a good start, not sure if Fi ignores any of them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My contract with Sprint is up this Saturday, and I'll be switching to Fi as well as getting my mother on board. Any phone sales ongoing or coming up?

Also, are the general steps basically:

- Accept invite, choose plan and order phone & SIM card
- Receive both, call on a separate phone to activate

Or is there anything I'm missing or leaving out? Obv don't cancel service with Sprint or else we'd lose our numbers, just port over instead and wait for final prorated bill from Sprint.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ordered my 5X yesterday. What's the preferred protective case for it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I see what is using my data? I just switched to Fi last week and I'm already at 1.57GB. I signed up for 2GB/month because I always used less than that on Sprint.

Edit: looks like Photos used 722MB. I set it to sync only while charging now, that should help.

Seems like I need data on for SMS via Hangouts. I set my default SMS app to Messenger and sent my girlfriend a text. I didn't get her reply until I turned data back on, and it came in via Hangouts. How can I text without data?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 12, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sorry, should have clarified. I turn data off at home because I live in a cell service black hole and it drains my battery fast to leave it on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I was on Sprint I didn't need mobile data enabled to send and receive SMS.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, isn't that a part of Wifi Calling?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Read?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, tried that and SMS does go back and forth via the Messenger app.

However, I still need data enabled regardless. Really hoping there's a way for SMS to work normally without data being enabled.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

withoutclass posted:

Iirc, in order to text with no cell service while connected to wifi, you must use hangouts integration and use the hangouts app.

All right, I will try that out tonight.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Trying to help my mother sign up, the credit check ran for all of one second and said she has insufficient history. That obviously can't be right, so I've requested a call from support. Any thoughts or advice?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spoke to them twice, they said wait 30 days and try again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmm, I'm on a 5X and just got notified of the Nougat update. I'm already underwhelmed with battery performance, and tomorrow I'm travelling to Toronto/Western NY/Niagara areas for about a week.

Thinking I should put off this update until after I return.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For some reason my Nexus 5X hasn't been doing Wifi Calling today. I tried turning Wifi Calling off and back on, and rebooting the phone. Anything else?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You can't send texts from your phone without a data connection of some kind, whether a mobile data (3G/LTE/etc.) or wifi.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

For some reason my Nexus 5X hasn't been doing Wifi Calling today. I tried turning Wifi Calling off and back on, and rebooting the phone. Anything else?

withoutclass posted:

Turn on airplane mode. Turn on wifi.

Okay, I've been doing this ever since and here's what's been happening:
- I've had to keep Gmail open in one tab on my PC so I can hear notifications of SMS or phone calls, because my phone often doesn't do anything then I later find I have a missed call/text/VM
- When a call comes in, I often have to unlock my screen before it starts ringing
- Sometimes I'll answer a wifi call and it immediately drops
- Often I'll try making calls and they will fail to connect. Rebooting the phone usually fixes this
- Today I rebooted my phone after failing to connect a call. Later I received a call and my phone did nothing even after I woke it up.

Before I go to Google support, does anyone have any ideas about this? It's pretty frustrating when I'm trying to work from home.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just got 7.1.1 on my 5X, going to see if this fixes my wifi calling issues.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Javid posted:

Something like "no switching while the phone is unplugged and in use"

So, no switching during situations where switching is a useful feature?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

VostokProgram posted:

Is there a way to force the phone to use Wi-Fi for calls? When I'm at home there's just barely enough cell signal that the phone always tries to use it, and often the call will cut out or just be really bad as a result. I've taken to just doing calls with my PC at this point. It seems like the only time it'll use wifi is if it's already tried to use cell once and failed?

Put your phone into airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What do we know about this phone so far? Worthwhile upgrade from a 5X?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a 5X that is in great shape and never boot-looped, just pondering whether the upgrade is a worthwhile deal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was so close...

Reading all these stories of Nexus 5Xs bootlooping or otherwise failing, and mine was just chugging right along. Even got Oreo on it last week. Didn't want to jinx it so I said nothing about it. Ordered my Moto X4 on 10/5. Today I'm on the train into work and I fire up Skype for Business, get signed in and I'm initially showing as Available, but suddenly I jump to Presence Unknown.

The screen no longer reacts to my touch and the phone buttons do nothing either, then the screen goes black. I try holding in the power button for a few seconds, no dice.

I get on a chat with Fi Support, they have me try the power+volume down for 15 seconds. No luck either. Also tried connecting it to a PC with the USB cable, the device shows up in Windows as something like QHSUSB_BULK but nothing happens on the phone. So my phone is out of warranty, but I did pay for device protection.

I end up ordering a refurb Nexus 5X for a temporary hold $211 ($199+tax), although I will end up paying a $69 deductible. Shortly after my order was completed, I got an email saying the Moto has shipped.

So I guess I'll send back the bricked 5X, then not use or even open the replacement. I'll just send it back as is to guarantee my $115 discount on the Moto.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm sending the busted device back in exchange for the replacement. Then I'll send the replacement once I get the Moto.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I ordered a cheap replacement battery from Amazon, installed it and plugged it into the charger. The phone vibrated and showed the charging battery symbol, so I set it down and started typing this post. Just checked now and it's no longer responding. Dead as a doornail. drat, I was hoping to get a backup of my Neko Atsume :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I chatted with them the other day asking where the return label was for me to send my trade-in back. I was told that the trade option wasn't reflected on my X4 purchase, so I told them that was obviously a mistake as I had answered questions like "Does it turn on?" and "Is it cracked?"

Got an email later saying, "We are currently looking into this issue and once we have an update, we will follow up with you as soon as possible with additional information."

Anyway, is there a goon consensus on a protective case for the X4?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It really reminds me of Sprint's insurance program, where paying an $X/month would get you a refurb for a deductible of say $150, whereas without they had no option for you.

Does any cell carrier have an actually good insurance offering?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm just getting it now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you're a tinfoil hat type and you're getting bad reception, go into the "privacy" settings in your Fi app and see if you've turned off the toggle switch of "network diagnostics". I always turn off settings like this, but after turning it on a while back this correlated with a huge increase in reliability and signal when I am in a certain part of my house. I was having a lot of trouble getting any reception in a room I am often in, but now it works very well. I don't know if this is why the improvement happened, and I haven't tested turning the toggle off again to see if that makes a difference, but if you're really annoyed with low bars it's at least one more thing to try.

Whenever I'm home or at the office, I put my phone into Airplane Mode then enable WiFi. Since I'm using WiFi Calling I don't have to worry about reception issues.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm going to Scotland for several days mid-August. I usually use a prepaid SIM from Three, should I do that again or stick with Fi there?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

On my Moto x4, I use Hangouts as my SMS app. I changed the default notification sound but it's still playing the standard Hangots sound. How to fix?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's the only place I could even find to change it. Did that initially, no joy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get the X4 and don't look back. Don't wait for that N5 to die in your hands.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Javid posted:

I only ever have trouble when my fingers are wet.

Same here, otherwise it's fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The karate chop irks me often, as half the time it turns on the Moto camera instead.