Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
ooh. Was charging my 5x, went to check on it... boy it sure is warm... really warm...

Charge port cooked. Could smell the magic smoke escaping. Yikes. I'm getting a replacement, no questions from the reps, but I just ported my number over. Not fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

maltesh posted:

What were you using to charge it, if we may ask? Was it the charger and cable it came with, or something else?

Charger that came with it.

This happened just after I got a replacement sim for my wifes phone, she got one of the bad sims.

I have a replacement on the way. Customer service is great, but I would love it if the stuff would just work and stop being problematic.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I believe when I ported over my number from verizon it said I would lose my google voice number. Which was of no conequence to me, but your situation sounds different. All I got was junk calls/voicemails on the google voice number anyways, so it didn't bother me.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Ixian posted:

I think, but am not positive, that if you don't port your number you'll get a new one and you can just keep using Voice with your number (the app works fine on the phone with Fi, you should be able to point it to your new mobile just like you can now). Porting it later, as Google has stated, is not an option for whatever reason.

If you have ATT you will probably really like the switch, that is who I ported from. Everyones coverage is a different, of course, but mine either improved or showed no change and good God are my bills lower with Fi.

I ported over from Verizon. Coverage was fine, but we moved last may to basically the edge of their coverage map. Now coverage is fantastic and our bill went down so much. I hope google puts enough of a dent in other carriers service that they notice and make some changes. No contracts, no activation charges, no bs. Had a few issues run through customer service and they handled them beautifully.

Keep an eye out in the sales forum for my verizon booster and landline thingamabob. Were in full ditch mode!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Endless Mike posted:

They won't touch the major carriers until you're able to use more than Nexus phones, and importantly, iPhones.

Oh I know. I just want verizon to feel a little bit of a sting. Their new plans and policies are so bad. I'm happy to be leaving them.

With the addition of all the new wifi stuffs in the house I gotta upgrade the home router next.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Tots posted:

My phone should be at my house when I get home today. My old plan isn't up until the 18th of next month (Straight Talk), but I want to start using my 6p immediately because I'm an impatient child. Would it jack anything up if I went to Wal Mart and got a Straight Talk Sim Card to use in my 6p until my current plan expires?

E: Just chatted with Fi support and they said there should be no issue with this.

I bought my nexus 5 on the black friday whatever deal. My invite took a couple weeks to process, in the meanwhile I was running on an at&t pay as you go sim card. Worked just fine. I mean, the signal was crap but it worked. Project fi siginal is really impressive so far.

Finding some odd events while setting up phones (got nexus 5x's for my whole family plus mother in law, so 5 total) in terms of getting the handsets to update apps properly. If anyone cares I'll detail it out in here, I know this isn't a handset thread but google fi has a grand total of two handsets, might help someone out in here.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
So here's a weird issue I hope none of the rest of you run into, but I did. Anytime I was recieving a call, went to answer, would drop the call and say "hangouts has stopped". Yikes. After some googlin on the google phone, turns out disabling the "ok google" fixes this. I have no idea why thats a related thing but it did the trick for me. Go to google now, settings, voice control, "ok google" detection, and turn that crap off. I never had this feature on my galaxy s5 so there's the first I've run into it.

And heres a question - I got my kids nexus5x's as well for christmas. Lucky bastards. I found on one the parental control settings and dialed in the content ratings. For the life of me I cant find it again... this isn't in making a new user either, it's on the primary user. I seem to have a really bad habit of figuring out a thing once, then grabbing another phone later to repeat it - and losing my mind. So if anyone knows where that is I would appreciate it. Google leans towards third party apps when I ask it about parental controls so searching that way hasn't been helping.

Have good holidays everyone.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
FWIW my first nexus phone did overheat, fried the charge port. Got a replacement, it's been fine. That's one of four phones we got. Completely anecdotal, but there ya go.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Anyone have any data on battery life comparison between the 5x and 6p? My wife switched from her iPhone 5, loved the nexus 5x in all respects save the battery life. I moved from a galaxy s5 and I have to admit I too am underwhelmed on the battery life. Just curious if there's a big difference there.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
How are you guys doing in situations where you're just barely seeing a tower, but on good wifi? I have a nexus 5x, noticing that when the phone loses and is trying to reconnect to a tower, (which is my in home situation) even though the wifi connection is fine that even will crash applications and screw with phone calls. It's as if the phone is prioritizing bad tower connection over perfectly decent wifi connection. For instance, if I have facebook running, and I get the tower reconnect event, facebook loses its ability to see the fb servers anymore. Have to close out the app and restart to get my data pipe back. Wacky. While other apps might just outright crash and I have to restart.

Using a netgear ac1900 router, just in case thats got known issues. I only mention that because I know past netgear routers had firewall issues with voip stuff. Internet is good here otherwise. Thanks for helping me track down the gremlins in this one!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I'll give that a shot. Probably won't fix my other app crashing issues, but it will improve Facebook usage for sure.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

I have a netgear ac1900 and it works fine for me, but I think I'm in range of a tower too. Make sure to contact them and report it as a bug!

Did this. Some of the first tier cust service reps are... interesting. I get the impression they are not the best of english speakers. And they pay more attention to things like my profile pic than my actual problem.

Email number 8 trying to get them to acknowledge what is going on, I was replying to a rep named Jose. Now it should be noted, every time I get an email back - it's a new person. So the latest email, girl calls ME Jose. Completely ignores everything I just said and asks me some other dumb question. I requested a single competent tech to get back to me so I can solve my situation.

Which is basically this - have plenty of wifi but the cell tower connection at my house basically flaps between 1x and nuthin. When it flaps, calls drop, apps crash. Even though perfectly good wifi that is still on. I dont know what I need to do to get google to recognize this. Happens on both my 5x AND my wifes 5x. So, obviously not a handset issue. At all.

Really simple to explain yet hard to get anyone there to understand.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

Here's my suggestion, try going to an area you get service and CALLING them. The voice customer service are all native english speakers.

Well, I could. But it's tough to keep steps documented without a proper thread. That way people can stop asking me to re-seat my sim card, etc.

I have a case number. I could call and just demand higher level support but I'm not sure that'll do much at this point.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's certainly worth a try becuase higher level support needs to know if this is a recurring error or limited to the 5x (could be just the 5x wish you had a 6p to test) They could release an android update that fixes it.

Ill be chasing this down more in the upcoming week here.

However, I should note that I do have service at home. Cuz I got da wifi. And can make calls. But, when this event happens, it will drop the call. It's intermittent. Something core in the sw causes everything to screech to a halt if the cell portion is negotiating with the tower, or trying to.

No 6ps in the house. Just 5xs. Four of em!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Sure. But theres a bigger problem at hand - that being the event will cause apps to outright crash, including the phone app. I wanna call it phone.exe but idk if thats right... anyhow it's not something that should occur.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

withoutclass posted:

I totally agree and I wasn't trying to excuse the problem, just offer a potential solution.

Nono, that's not bad. I didn't think calls were even possible in airplane mode - but I just tested, that works!

I'll probably forget to turn airplane mode off when I leave the house, so I'll still chase this down.

I was more just venting about how wacky the first tier email techsupp is. The constant handoff is bizarre. Someone asks you a question, you email back - first person you spoke to, gone forever. Wacky.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

Have you guys gone farther down the line to narrowing the problem yet?

I asked to have the issue moved up the ranks. Rep said it was, haven't heard anything since. I feel like the rep is stonewalling me, to be honest. She's the one that called me jose, not my name. I'll follow up with a phone call today. I have a case number. That should get things moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Welp, my nexus 5x just dropped dead. My daughters 5x died but 11 months in, so a new phone was no problem. But mine bricked suddenly, and I'm at about 15 months... no word yet but it sounds like google is copping to the problem and I will end up with a new (refurb) handset. Which is cool, I guess.