Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

those gaming achievements that come so close and then slip away...mine is that I've reached Kefka's castle three different times through three different FFVI playthroughs but I've never actually beaten Kefka, because I don't like having to use all the characters in the last dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
as much as i've dicked around and done poo poo in morrowind i think i've only actually beaten dagoth ur like twice and never actually "beat" the expansions

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[looks longingly at Metal Gear Rex] N-nothing. I don't have one.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im missing one achievement in alpha protocol, it glitched and didnt pop and i just couldnt play through the game again

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I never got all the stars in super mario 64 even though I set out on a quest to do it one summer.

Previous summer me and a friend beat super ghouls and ghosts... but he wasn't there for mario :sob:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
drakengard 3 final boss

e: i swear to loving god im going to beat it someday, I try once every two months and get significantly farther each time

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fire Emblem Awakening at Insane+

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
there were 2 endings in way of the samurai 3 that I could never get

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've never actually beaten Morrowind even though I've probably put 3 or 4 hundred hours into it (I got addicted hard in middle school). There's so much to do that I always get distracted. I think talking to the Ashlanders to get them to recognize you as the Nerevarine is the farthest I've ever gotten. I keep promising myself that I will one day now that I own it on Steam but 10 years later I still end up getting lost in all the side content.

Also I swore a solemn oath to beat Life is Strange by the end of the week but for some reason this one freaking game overheats my laptop to a thermal shutdown within 10-30 minutes of starting, no matter what I do to keep it cool. I just have to hope I can make it to a save point before it crashes so I can advance little by little--that's how a drill works. But I will win this fight.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

super hard mode on shinobi for ps2. they are not kidding when they say super

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It was the pit of 100 trials in TTYD but I accomplished that this year, so I've nothing left to chase.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
im my own white whale

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
every time i go to play seiken densetsu 3 with somebody it eventually falls through halfway
i wish somebody would go all the way with me okay guys thats your cue lemme have it :D

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've got to Lavos twice but never beaten him. I'm not sure if I even fought him more than a couple of times each playthrough.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Aston posted:

I've got to Lavos twice but never beaten him. I'm not sure if I even fought him more than a couple of times each playthrough.

which time against lavos? itd be hilarious if you reset each time you died during the first encounter at zeal

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

Lavos will kick your rear end the first time if you're at a normal level because he's got a few attacks in each form that just do massive damage to the whole party.

Happy Fun Gamer
Oct 16, 2015

My dad when he tells me to go to bed. gently caress you dad, I'm not done gaming.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I got about halfway through Ninja Gaiden Black on master ninja before it wore me out too much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got to the final boss of thousand year door without realizing you could level up companions and i just couldn't beat it and my gamecube stopped working before i ever got back to it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i got to the final boss of thousand year door without realizing you could level up companions and i just couldn't beat it and my gamecube stopped working before i ever got back to it.

lmao how is this even possible. the game like forces you to level up an ally once or twice and even gives you an item for leveling them up again

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Einhander - beating the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Temple in Spelunky :negative:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

Einhander - beating the game

You can do it.

Did you play Omega Boost yet?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazvall posted:

You can do it.

Did you play Omega Boost yet?

I will only play Omega Boost after beating Einhander. I can get to the last stage. But then my lives run out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the Temple in Spelunky :negative:
Just think of it as The Caves But More So, except by then you've got a ton of resources. Avoiding as much of the level as possible helps, so use your bombs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I missed a single treasure chest in my attempt to get Vyse the Legend in Skies of Arcadia: Legends. That was soul shattering and I haven't been able to attempt it since, because the game is hard as hell to emulate and I no longer have a gamecube or wii.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Interpreting this as stuff you want but can't get, my current whale is properly playing mgs3.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I could never get past Hell in Cave Story.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Canary Mary

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

No Such Thing posted:

I could never get past Hell in Cave Story.

i loving forgot about cave story. getting the real ending and beating it on hard is another whale for me

Dec 26, 2012

op posted mine already so

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

as much as i've dicked around and done poo poo in morrowind i think i've only actually beaten dagoth ur like twice and never actually "beat" the expansions

Same, I got stuck in an infinite conversation loop in tribunal and never played again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

op posted mine already so

I even played through the assy PSX version with awful load times and got through the tower and then went eh nah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Interpreting this as stuff you want but can't get, my current whale is properly playing mgs3.

A white whale is more akin to a challenge that bested you. There are some Xbox and Dreamcast games I want to play but can't but that's just me being unable or not caring enough to pick up the consoles. Not like chasing failure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As a child I got stuck on Nightmare in Fusion for like 2 months of attempts and put the game down for a year and the next time I tried it I beat it on my first attempt

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

A white whale is more akin to a challenge that bested you. There are some Xbox and Dreamcast games I want to play but can't but that's just me being unable or not caring enough to pick up the consoles. Not like chasing failure

ok that being the case i guess 1ccing ikaruga

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My PC save of FFXIII has like two hunts left. If I did just a bit more CP grinding I could take on the super boss but after like 50 hours in that play through I just started playing something else

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If an RPG is really good, the thought of beating it is too worrisome so I have quite a few where the save is on the last boss or dungeon.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jade Cocoon is nice because once you beat it there is an infinite difficulty dungeon that gets harder every time you load, and has some cool monster combos you wouldn't normally see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kazvall posted:

If an RPG is really good, the thought of beating it is too worrisome so I have quite a few where the save is on the last boss or dungeon.

FF1: beat
FF2: died on final boss, still have save on GBA cart
FF3: died on final boss, still have save on DS cart
FF4: died on final boss, still have save on GBA cart
FF6: died on final boss, still have saves on GBA cart and Vita
FF7: beat
FF8: died on final boss, still have save on Vita
FF9: beat
FFX: beat
FFX-2: beat
FFXIII: beat three times
FFXIII-2: died on final boss, still have save on PS3