Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

BigLeafyTree posted:

Tuskboars don't really replace Saberspine Seal, like at all. It's important to have both Saberspine and Killing Edge to add redundancy to your combo pieces. That way you just need to find Lantern Fox, Inner Focus, and one or two of Killing Edge or Saberspine Seal for your big turn. The things that stick out to me is I'm not sure you need to run 3 copies of both Dagger Kiri AND Lantern Fox, and that your deck's going in several directions at once (Chakri, Deathstrike Seal, Shieldmasters) and I'm not sure whether that adds enough robustness to be worth reducing the decks focus. Heartseeker as a carrier for Deathstrike and Killing Edge might be worth trying. Sword of Mechazor together with MDS or Inner Focus can clear the board in the early turns to help buy time for combo, or just get buffed to hell later for a giant Frenzy swing.
I meant Saberspine Tigers, not Seals. I actually didn't realize they shared the same name until now. Makes sense when you think about it though. I'll drop my Chakri for Heartseekers, and try out replacing some of my Dagger Kiris with Swords of Mechazor.

e: Oh dang, didn't see your post Koolkal (and you will probably never see this note) but thanks for the additional tips! I'm about at the point where I want to go whole-hog into one faction so this is super helpful!

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

koolkal posted:

I'm not really sure where you want to take your deck, songhai has approximately 50 different lists because there's a few cards which are really broken and then a bunch of pretty good cards which work because of the broken cards. And most of them are high rarity and cost a lot of dust.

Tusk boar is one of those really broken ones and 3x is core in basically every songhai deck ever, even spell-heavy burn lists will run 3x magi and then 3x tusk boar as their only minions. Expensive but it's so far beyond saberspine in power level it's silly.

You should try to get 3x gore horn, 3x killing edge, and use mana vortex over ancestral diviniation for cycle. These are all pretty solid cards that fit in a lot of different lists. Kaido is really bad IMO and not worth running in any songhai list. Chakri is fine as mediocre 2-drop that has a lot of upside. I don't use them now that Jaxi exists but I know a lot of songhai players still do. Phoenix fire is pretty useful for damage and board control.

More juxtapositions is good but obviously expensive and not necessary. Bloodrage mask is okay if you want to go spell heavy. Sword of mech is pretty solid as a board clear option and general decent minion since it has 3 hp.

If you have any twilight sorcerers or alcuin loremasters throw them in. They're extremely strong since they let you get even more inner focus and twilight is a pretty good body. They're eoucs so pricey but they're better than primus or dagger kiri since they have decent bodies and they give you more spells which are better at contesting the board and they often go in other factions as well. Gorehorn + inner focus is a 3 mana combo that kills a silverguard knight and leaves you with a 4/4 and you can follow that up next turn with a twilight sorcerer or alcuin to get the inner focus back and be really far ahead on board which is way better IMO than trying to delay with beefy weak minions like shieldmaster or kiri while hoping you draw the lantern combo pieces.

Also forgot to add this link: https://forums.duelyst.com/t/mings-songhai-decks/12273

He has a lot of pretty standard archetype lists.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014
I saw chu8 playing this game on the stream, and being a huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic, downloaded it right away. Really digging the game so far - the flavor, pixel art and grid system. I want to play vetruvian, cause I dig the cyber sand mage poo poo, but from what I gather that faction really needs its legendaries.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They're being changed a bit soon (probably) but yeah they need their epics and legendaries. Lyonar and Magmar are easy and fairly cheap. Also Mechaz0r Vanar is good and cheap.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
what would be an example of a very good vetruvian deck and how much dust would it cost to make? also any idea what kind of changes they're going to make?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

this is about 10k spirit

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Finally went past 3 wins in Gauntlet, then promptly lost to a Magmar with:

Natural Selection x2
Plasma Storm x2
Adamantine Claws x2
Kinetic Equilibrium
Metamorphosis
Red Synja

+ all around solid minions. He either got card or mana advantage every single turn, kept my board clear nearly every turn, and won with double Adamantite Claws when I would have pulled a goddamn miracle victory with a desperate four card play I had in my hand the next turn. I know common removal is going to be seen a lot, but getting 3-for-1 in four turns with those last three cards and Plasma Storm really loving sucked. I guess that's the danger of playing Abyssian when everyong plays Magmar, because they can effortlessly clear your entire board with Plasma as many times as they want because they are common. Had a couple blowouts with 2x Bloodmoon whatever and that 5-drop that has the Deathwatch that heals/hurts Generals though. Ending your turn with 12 1/1s that spawn more 1/1s and heal/hurt every time they die is a mean way to win.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

If you've got the money to burn a Theft Vetruvian deck is really fun. Blind scorch lets you steal anything. Very frustrating for your opponent to just lose a minion every turn to your side

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Finally went past 3 wins in Gauntlet, then promptly lost to a Magmar

I just drafted Magmar for the first time and holy poo poo are they strong. If a grimrock or a kolossus survives at least 1 turn, it's basically gg unless you're playing as vetruvian or abyssian. I've won a few games so far with turn 5 kolossus into turn 6 replicate twice.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I got an email about some sort of gift box for the holidays for logging in, but when I logged in I didn't see anything. Anyone know what that is about/how to get the free phat loots?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I played my first two Guantlet runs.

Both times I picked Magmar and thought my draft was garbage- a mix of me not knowing what I was doing and getting what felt like none of the really good in-faction cards. Went 3-3 and 4-3, purely on the back of endless removal and random Magmar 'filler' creatures, which it turns out are pretty good.

My opponents were 7 Magmar, 5 Lyonar, and 1 Abyssian.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the factions are not well-balanced for this format.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

LLSix posted:

I got an email about some sort of gift box for the holidays for logging in, but when I logged in I didn't see anything. Anyone know what that is about/how to get the free phat loots?

You have a new menu option

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

Avasculous posted:

I played my first two Guantlet runs.

Both times I picked Magmar and thought my draft was garbage- a mix of me not knowing what I was doing and getting what felt like none of the really good in-faction cards. Went 3-3 and 4-3, purely on the back of endless removal and random Magmar 'filler' creatures, which it turns out are pretty good.

My opponents were 7 Magmar, 5 Lyonar, and 1 Abyssian.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the factions are not well-balanced for this format.

This might have something to do with draft guide on Reddit listing magmar lyonar and abyssian as top 3 factions and the other ones "not very good for gauntlet"

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I doubt it's really him, as he accepted my friend request, but he wasn't streaming at the time so I can't verify either way yet. I beat him in like five turns with my cheap rear end starter Wraithling + Creep mish mash deck.

Just opened that egg spawning Magmar Legendary spell. That makes that + Silithar Elder in a few days, which are obviously two great tastes that go great together. I need to make some Egg Morphs though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I unlocked casual mode, S rank achieved :v:

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

I unlocked casual mode, S rank achieved :v:

Did you spend any money on the game yet? Honestly, the only think keeping me from snap buying 40 orbs is the terrible CAD exchange rate.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gorrister posted:

Did you spend any money on the game yet? Honestly, the only think keeping me from snap buying 40 orbs is the terrible CAD exchange rate.

i bought 40 orbs yeah. i think you can get S without it, but maybe it would be hard in your first month if you're new.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Am I crazy, or do you get all the cards that you draft in Gauntlet? I can't quite remember my deck, and I opened a few packs afterward, but it looks like I got a bunch of new cards, and a lot of them were in my Gauntlet deck.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Well, there's only like 100 common cards which make up like 75% of the cards you see in packs or gauntlet choices so there's a good chance you'll see a lot of repeats

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

bvoid posted:

Am I crazy, or do you get all the cards that you draft in Gauntlet? I can't quite remember my deck, and I opened a few packs afterward, but it looks like I got a bunch of new cards, and a lot of them were in my Gauntlet deck.

You're crazy.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I'm pretty sure you don't get 30 cards for the price of 1.5 orbs, no.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Healyonar is the most tooth grindingly dull but effective deck ever. Jesus loving Christ, shoot Healyonar into the sun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Have you tried Control Magmar?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I finally disenchanted a bunch of stuff and crafted 3x Scion's Third Wish.

That card is absurdly unfair.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Every Faction Is Unfair.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vet truly is too good right now, though. I expect them and maybe Mag to see some nerfs.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

There's a bunch of stuff that could see changes, but I would be very surprised if Third isn't touched.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Portal Guardian, Rasha's Curse, and Jaxi are all things I would look at. Rasha's to 3 mana is my personal guess.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see Portal Guardian lose Frenzy or have its health reduced to 5. I'd be happy with either, I think.

I'd be happy with Third Wish either going to two minions rather than three, or +2 rather than 3.

I wouldn't *hate* the Magmar egg spawner going to 3 eggs instead of 4, but I'd say I've been able to minimize the threat to 1 or 2 eggs most of the time.

Elder Sithilid was super intimidating when I first saw it, but once the shock of an 8/8 monster that can replicate itself wears off, it's not so bad.

I'd love for them to nerf Star's Fury, but I just need to remember to clump my troops if I'm up against Vetruvian.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The magmar egg spawning thing is played in like 0 decks because it's not that good.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's kind of a nitpick, but I've lost 2 recent games now to effects that didn't do literally what the tooltip said:

-Shadow Nova should specify that Shadow Creep does damage equal to YOUR number of Shadow Creep spaces. Right now it just says equal to Shadow Creep.

-Zurael the Lifegiver should specify that "your minions" does not include tokens, even though tokens count as "your minions" for every other effect I've seen. I think there's even another card that does specify "non-token minions" for something.

Are there any others people know that I should look out for?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
How do you guys deal with Mechaz0r decks? When he comes out it's drat near impossible to survive more than 2 turns before dying :(

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Crossbones. GG.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

enthe0s posted:

How do you guys deal with Mechaz0r decks? When he comes out it's drat near impossible to survive more than 2 turns before dying :(

Deckbuilding-wise there's a few solutions in Crossbones, Ephemeral Shroud, and Lightbender. In general a lot of Mech decks play 12 Mechs, and Mechs aren't for the most part the best minions. Once Mechaz0r has been dropped it's okay to burn resources to take it out because they've usually burned through a bunch of cards themselves to drop him as quickly as possible, and still have a decent number of now even less impressive Mechs in their deck.

Sword of Mechazor is the only Mech that doesn't signal in huge flashing lights "I'm going for Mechaz0r!", so if you see any of the others start replacing for whatever you have that can deal with it. Helm especially is virtually unplayable outside a Mech deck and the biggest tell.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Ah ok, cool. I see now why so many decklists I've seen run at least 1 Crossbones.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

enthe0s posted:

Ah ok, cool. I see now why so many decklists I've seen run at least 1 Crossbones.

Yeah, Crossbones is a magic bullet against Mechaz0r decks because dealing with him efficiently puts you on the path to winning. Crossbones is still a decent play against Jaxi too. A vanilla 3/3 for 3 isn't something you want to put in your deck but it's not THAT bad, so as long as he kills something he's earning his keep.

Also, Mech decks are basically a rushdown deck that gambles on going more or less all-in on Mechazor. Sometimes it's going to work and you'll lose :shrug:

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 27, 2015

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
This >>IS<< Pox Nora no?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SoggyGravy posted:

This >>IS<< Pox Nora no?

It certainly seems influenced by Pox.. But has the added benefit of learning from Pox's mistakes, so it is better structured

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

It's kind of a nitpick, but I've lost 2 recent games now to effects that didn't do literally what the tooltip said:

-Shadow Nova should specify that Shadow Creep does damage equal to YOUR number of Shadow Creep spaces. Right now it just says equal to Shadow Creep.

-Zurael the Lifegiver should specify that "your minions" does not include tokens, even though tokens count as "your minions" for every other effect I've seen. I think there's even another card that does specify "non-token minions" for something.

Are there any others people know that I should look out for?

The tool tip for this is accurate, but it took me a minute to realize it.

Mana Burn - This targets a SPACE not a MINION so it can gently caress over my freshly placed Mechazor who is supposed to be untargetable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Avasculous posted:

This one cost me a game early on and is really misleading.

• Locked thread