Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
I love Jax Truesight. He doesn't have as much game ending power as he used to, but he's still a nightmare to deal with for Vet, Vanar, and usually Songhai and Abyssian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kronikle posted:

I love Jax Truesight. He doesn't have as much game ending power as he used to, but he's still a nightmare to deal with for Vet, Vanar, and usually Songhai and Abyssian.

Maybe abyssian, true. But the soul shatter pact builds are weaker than the plain builds imo.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
https://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-beta-0-56-0-pending-release-1-14-afternoon-pst/25510

Update notes are out. There's a AI duel mode introduced which is nice -- you can also grind up to faction level 10 in it.

No nerfs or buffs so it's safe to assume that the end of January Patch will contain any changes.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

https://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-beta-0-56-0-pending-release-1-14-afternoon-pst/25510

Update notes are out. There's a AI duel mode introduced which is nice -- you can also grind up to faction level 10 in it.

That is handy. I got a few puzzled emotes while suiciding my general in a level 1 pauper Songhai deck at rank 5.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Man, Ive got this Abyssian burn deck humming now. Grinding my way up, just hit lvl 6. My ingame name is "brib" if you want to friend me/play.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
This motherfucker had four Dioltas in a Gauntlet game...

edit: like, what the gently caress do you even do with that? I actually kept it really close, we went to the end of our decks, but poo poo, I didn't even get a Legend draw.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is there a go-to resource for net decks? It looks like the forums is the main spot, but I just wanted to be sure.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The forums, yeah. The subreddit has some decent input, too.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

bvoid posted:

Is there a go-to resource for net decks? It looks like the forums is the main spot, but I just wanted to be sure.

On the subreddit there's actually an entire deckbuilding section in the sidebar that has budget and top tier net decks.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Ugh, Gauntlet Songhai without Inner Focus is a really crummy way to play it. As is Abyssian without wraithlings, though the power of Grasp of Agony takes the sting out a bit.

Actually, I'm curious -- is the go-to Abyssian decks mostly rush / burn variants? I feel like I've only seen one or two Abyssian decks recently and they were all of the shadow creep variety. I'm assuming it's because Bloodmoon/Shadowdancer is too slow in the meta and the best decks require investment into Revenants that newbies might not have?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The only Abyssian I have had any real success with so far this month have been rush/burn type builds. The deck I am winning a lot with now uses a shitload of artifacts, wraithlings, and rush minions to kill you fast. I think wraithling spam sort of fell out of favor and because of that now some decks just cant answer it, and when they fuel the grimwar engine games can end VERY fast. Its not uncommon to do 15-20 damage in a turn pretty early in the game.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Ugh, Gauntlet Songhai without Inner Focus is a really crummy way to play it. As is Abyssian without wraithlings, though the power of Grasp of Agony takes the sting out a bit.

Actually, I'm curious -- is the go-to Abyssian decks mostly rush / burn variants? I feel like I've only seen one or two Abyssian decks recently and they were all of the shadow creep variety. I'm assuming it's because Bloodmoon/Shadowdancer is too slow in the meta and the best decks require investment into Revenants that newbies might not have?

Rush/Burn is definitely effective. I've seen some that make a point of recycling Void Pulse as many times as possible too along with using Spectral Blade, Healing Mystic, and Renuvenators to just sustain through threats, and it seemed effective.

You've hit it on the head that Bloodmoon and Shadowdancer struggle a bit, although they're not necessarily that slow exactly. If you drop one and then plow a bunch of your minions into a bunch of their minions you'll get immediate value from them. That does require a pre-existing board though, which is far from guaranteed. They feel really bad to drop as your only minion onto an empty board. They're both great recurring value engines though, and Bloodmoon can cause giant headaches for some factions.

For example, if you have a set up in the lower left corner like this:

W = Wraithling, G = General, B = Bloodmoon Priestess

GBW

Then every time a Wraithling dies it's replaced by the Bloodmoon and the enemy has no way to reach you through direct combat. They have to deal with the Bloodmoon first and then beat their way in. It's really funny to see people hit the Wraithlings the first time then pause as they realize they don't have an answer for the living wall.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I just started playing this, and got a Khymera card. Based on my limited knowledge so far, this seems to be a piece of junk legendary. Am I missing something, or is safe to liquidate this guy to go make a few Jaxi?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Khymera has been used in tournaments in Magmar decks with double Flash Reincarnation. For general ladder play though, he's not too commonly seen.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

whenever i see the word "magmar" i get the mental image of that goofy pokemon and just can't take the grimdark tone of this game seriously

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

whenever i see the word "magmar" i get the mental image of that goofy pokemon and just can't take the grimdark tone of this game seriously

Wait is the plot of this game Grimdark? I assumed it was space cosplayers playing the futuristic version of electric football.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Just started playing this game a few days ago, and there really is no going back to Hearthstone. The replacement mechanic alleviates a lot of the frustration of getting hosed by RNG, the bigger decks/card limits make for more interesting choices and customization wiggle room, and playing your units onto a board with actual positioning actually makes it feel like your decisions matter. Also, the units and spells are just loving bonkers compared to Hearthstone's. I love it.

I'm not really sure I understand why Gauntlet has such huge downtime though, probably my only major complaint about the game.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Chocobo posted:

Just started playing this game a few days ago, and there really is no going back to Hearthstone. The replacement mechanic alleviates a lot of the frustration of getting hosed by RNG, the bigger decks/card limits make for more interesting choices and customization wiggle room, and playing your units onto a board with actual positioning actually makes it feel like your decisions matter. Also, the units and spells are just loving bonkers compared to Hearthstone's. I love it.

I'm not really sure I understand why Gauntlet has such huge downtime though, probably my only major complaint about the game.

Their claim is that they want to make sure Gauntlet has a reasonable queue time in the beta. Once they leave beta and they (theoretically) have a large enough player base, they'll run it 24/7. The reason that's different from ranked ladder is because Gauntlet runs depend on gold, which is only attainable via gameplay. As a practical matter it takes 2-3 days of playing to be able to do a single Gauntlet run, so a continuously available Gauntlet would have a queue 2-3 times longer (at a minimum).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Barudak posted:

Wait is the plot of this game Grimdark? I assumed it was space cosplayers playing the futuristic version of electric football.

maybe grimdark isn't the right word, but it's still way more serious and heavy-metal than this clowny motherfucker

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Lady Locke in an Abyssian deathwatch deck is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen. My Bloodmoon Priestesses just summoned eleven 2/2 provoke Wraithlings in one turn.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
On my 5th day of playing and I just hit Rank 5 with a Budget Lyonar deck. I managed to finish making the epics (Holy immo / Twilight) for the mid-range but I have none of the legends (Keeper and Archon Mage) How difficult is it gonna be to get to S-rank without the core legends? I've been subbing them with emerald sword dudes and some niche tech cards (mix of crossbone, disenchants and etc). Didn't find it too difficult till I hit around rank 6.

So far game seems very very generous for F2P, the puzzles and general free poo poo they throw at you is really nice for getting started. Just slowly crafted common -> Rare -> Epic starting from Bronze to Diamond and now I only have legends left to craft.

Which is pretty wonderful coming from HS which took me around 5-6 months of frequent Arena play to finally get a T1 deck crafted.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Depends on the matchups you get. Lyonar(or anyone, really) gets a massive power boost from having Keeper; the Mage is a little less swingy, and more easily substituted IMO. It's certainly not impossible, and if you have the right strategy and composition to handle the rush meta that's going on right now, you're probably be able to get there with enough play time.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I'm going to say I had a match where Keeper brought back the Spellbinder I killed the turn before and it was quite possibly the most demoralizing thing ever.

It's probably karmic retribution for the games where I manage to get two Arclyte Regalias on my general and turn the rest of the fight into this

e: getting stomped by turn 1 cyclone mask turn 2 mask of shadowsx2 is also karmic retribution, this time for a past life spent kicking orphans i'm guessing

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 18, 2016

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009
I just started playing this and crushed pubbies for 8 games in a row with the Magmar starter deck, but now I'm looking at building something fun.

I got a bunch of Magmar stuff from levelling up, but none of the staples I see people talking about (Flash Reincarnation, some egg stuff, etc). I'm also interested in trying out other factions a bit and unlocking stuff:

If I get my friends to play, do my starting decks level up from that?

Should someone be beating me over the head over doing the single-player stuff since that looks like it might unlock stuff?

peep the tumblr fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 20, 2016

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Fal-Cone posted:

I just started playing this and crushed pubbies for 8 games in a row with the Magmar starter deck, but now I'm looking at building something fun.

I got a bunch of Magmar stuff from levelling up, but none of the staples I see people talking about (Flash Reincarnation, some egg stuff, etc). I'm also interested in trying out other factions a bit and unlocking stuff:

If I get my friends to play, do my starting decks level up from that?

Should someone be beating me over the head over doing the single-player stuff since that looks like it might unlock stuff?

They just added a single-player mode where you can level up your decks against the AI.

Also, do all the puzzles. They give you an absurd number of gold, and they're really fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also each faction you level to 11 is a free card pack so you have no excuse to not try other factions. All told between single player puzzles and faction ranks it's like 10 or so free packs.It doesn't hurt their is a seemingly pretty healthy legendary drop rate and that the crafting system as it stands is very favorable to you.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I scummed my way up to rank 10 on budget Lyonar and now I'm having a ball playing absolute garbage decks. Apparently there's a hidden matchmaking rank besides your actual rank because my first ten games I got destroyed but now I'm getting matched against people who are clearly doing the same thing, playing wacky garbage. Got some nice friends/chats out of it too.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
they need to add some more social features but ya this is a pretty good game. anyone interested in me setting up a slack channel for this game?

e: or does one exist?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I just starting messing around with this game. Using Hearthstone as a reference, it feels like there are some really unbalanced cards for their rarity. None of the legendaries I have seen look super broken for a legendary, but there is such a strength differential between certain common cards. You could have a 4/3 3mana guy, or you could have a 3/3 that spawns a 3/3. You can have a 4 mana 4/6, or a 5 mana 4/6 that also kills something when it enters the game before it gets warped across the map. Kind of hitting a wall right now at 14/15 due to not having any cards other than what they give you and whatever I have got from a few random packs I got for playing the game. I guess when the gauntlet opens up I can run through that with my gold to try and get some more packs. Is it similar to hearthstone where it only takes ~3 wins to make up the difference between the gauntlet and just buying a pack?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

I just starting messing around with this game. Using Hearthstone as a reference, it feels like there are some really unbalanced cards for their rarity. None of the legendaries I have seen look super broken for a legendary, but there is such a strength differential between certain common cards. You could have a 4/3 3mana guy, or you could have a 3/3 that spawns a 3/3. You can have a 4 mana 4/6, or a 5 mana 4/6 that also kills something when it enters the game before it gets warped across the map. Kind of hitting a wall right now at 14/15 due to not having any cards other than what they give you and whatever I have got from a few random packs I got for playing the game. I guess when the gauntlet opens up I can run through that with my gold to try and get some more packs. Is it similar to hearthstone where it only takes ~3 wins to make up the difference between the gauntlet and just buying a pack?

I've not done many gauntlet runs but so far it seems slightly more generous than hearthstone. 3 wins gives out a card, currency, a pack, and spirit

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just griding daily quests and doing the puzzles is a great way to learn all the cards and gets lots of gold.

I cant get this drat Abyssian deck over the hump. I have been hovering in the 3-4 rank for the past week. Every time I make a change it seems its for the worse.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Whose idea was it to put white text on a transparent background?

edit: Who's is who is, not whose possessive!

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Pain of Mind posted:

Few things:

-You're describing a couple of the best non-rares in the game and glossing over their limitations.

The 3/3 for 3 is Fenrir Warmaster and he spawns a 3/3 on death. The last part is important because it makes him a good target for Silence effects, which are prolific. Still he's arguably the best 3-drop in the game and was one of the only reasons to play the otherwise lackluster Vanar faction before January.

The 5 mana 4/6 is Dancing Blades and it doesn't "kill something" on entering the game, it deals 3 damage to something in the one space in front of it. The warp across the map part is a different card. Again though, you are right that this is one of the best non-rare cards at that cost- just not by leagues of difference.

-A lot of the strength differentials you're probably noticing are between Faction and Neutral cards. Neutral cards are intentionally often a step down in power (at least from the best faction cards, like Fenrir) in order to keep faction meaningful.

-I think you actually break even in raw value on Gauntlet with 0 wins, or maybe 1, since you're guaranteed a pack from the start + a card, some spirit and gold. The threshold for going infinite is around 7 wins.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

PaintVagrant posted:

Just griding daily quests and doing the puzzles is a great way to learn all the cards and gets lots of gold.

I cant get this drat Abyssian deck over the hump. I have been hovering in the 3-4 rank for the past week. Every time I make a change it seems its for the worse.

Too many artifacts. Abyssian artifacts are okay but nothing special and you want way more minions. And you don't have much healing considering you're going to want to attack a lot with your general and you're not really an aggro deck.

I'm not really sure what to change that doesn't change the spirit of your deck because I would cut like 5 of the artifacts down to 1x grimwar, and 1-2 of the other ones (1 horn, 2 blade is what I'd prefer) and add cards like primus fist and healing mystic and shadow reflection but then it's just a mostly normal abyssian aggro deck with grimwar + tracer as an additional win condition

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Avasculous posted:

-I think you actually break even in raw value on Gauntlet with 0 wins, or maybe 1, since you're guaranteed a pack from the start + a card, some spirit and gold. The threshold for going infinite is around 7 wins.

7 wins just outright gets you a free ticket along with other rewards. You can go infinite at a lower level once you factor in the gold/win and rewards. And of course you break even in value at a lower level, but that's only if you're not the kind of person who views draft as the real format and constructed a necessary evil.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

koolkal posted:

Too many artifacts. Abyssian artifacts are okay but nothing special and you want way more minions. And you don't have much healing considering you're going to want to attack a lot with your general and you're not really an aggro deck.

I'm not really sure what to change that doesn't change the spirit of your deck because I would cut like 5 of the artifacts down to 1x grimwar, and 1-2 of the other ones (1 horn, 2 blade is what I'd prefer) and add cards like primus fist and healing mystic and shadow reflection but then it's just a mostly normal abyssian aggro deck with grimwar + tracer as an additional win condition

Yeah thats pretty much a complete re-write. The artifacts are pretty much the theme and the power of the deck. Grimwar is almost always the closer, or at the least, the 10 damage hit out of nowhere that flips the game in my favor. I am more looking for tweaks than anything else at this point, I think its very close to being good.

One of the things I really like about it is that it holds its own agains vetruvian, where my more "typical" abyss decks just got flat housed by every vet deck I played. This one (when I win, which is prob about 60% against vet) kills them very fast, and has at least some answers to dumb blast spam bullshit (lure, rush, tracer).

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Played this game today, I was a little on the fence about it but it was loving awesome. I lost my first 3 matches or so then I finally started to win some once I got the basics down. I made a video immortalizing the experience. Its loving sweet anyone thinking about trying it because they think they might like it, do it.

Video proof I had a great time and that you will too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3pS0EEYk0

Anyone have any advice about a good amount of cash to spend to get the basics going? God knows I have spent money on Heartstone and I like this a lot more.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Male Man posted:

7 wins just outright gets you a free ticket along with other rewards. You can go infinite at a lower level once you factor in the gold/win and rewards. And of course you break even in value at a lower level, but that's only if you're not the kind of person who views draft as the real format and constructed a necessary evil.

You can't convert spirit and orbs into more drafting though- only gold and the free ticket at 7-12 wins. I'm not sure exactly how the reward math shakes out, but gold rewards usually seem to fall between 50-100 (+the gold from actually winning games). So to truly go infinite, you can average slightly lower than 7, but I'm pretty sure you need to at least score the ticket in 1/3 drafts or so.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

rjderouin posted:

Played this game today, I was a little on the fence about it but it was loving awesome. I lost my first 3 matches or so then I finally started to win some once I got the basics down. I made a video immortalizing the experience. Its loving sweet anyone thinking about trying it because they think they might like it, do it.

Video proof I had a great time and that you will too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3pS0EEYk0

Anyone have any advice about a good amount of cash to spend to get the basics going? God knows I have spent money on Heartstone and I like this a lot more.

I dropped $40 and it was a big leg up towards having a solid collection. I do the daily quests and at least 2 Gauntlet runs when it's open and after playing for a month I have more or less full play sets of all the commons and rares, enough of the epics that it's not limiting since I can craft what I need usually, and the legendaries I really wanted for my main faction with some on the side. The pricing model is pretty generous compared to others in the same genre, and I don't feel like I HAD to pay up for packs but it was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a list anywhere of legendaries that are safe to turn into spirit? I just started and from a few packs I've gotten Aegis Barrier, Gravity Well, and Aspect of the Mountains. Will I regret dusting any of them for some good rare cards?

• Locked thread