Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
hosed with the wrong Magmar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game looks weird and cool. Played the tut and a few matches.

Any best practices for getting started?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

victrix posted:

This game looks weird and cool. Played the tut and a few matches.

Any best practices for getting started?

-The Bronze Starter Pack is very useful if you have five bucks to spare. Duelyst isn't P2W, but the extra three legendaries will either let you craft several valuable cards, or give you invaluable staples (I got Spelljammers off it, arguably the best possible draw anyone could ask for out of the neutral legendaries). Five orbs is a great way to get started with expanding your collection too.
-Focus on Coreset Orbs while starting unless you're playing Vetruvian, in which case I suggest playing something else while you buy up Ancient Bonds orbs for a card called Blood of Air. Vet really suffers without it, but once they have it a lot of their good decks are pretty inexpensive. Core orbs have the best droprates for high-rarity cards, which give you more Spirit, which you can use to make the cards you want. Plus, y'know, full of multifaction staples.
-Try and focus on neutral cards early on, because they'll be useful no matter what kind of faction you're playing as. Sojourners, Lightbenders, Flameblood Warlocks, Golem Metallurgists, Blaze Hounds, Spelljammers and a few other cards are staples that see play in many decks all the way to the tournament level. Out of these, the most important are Sojourners, Blaze Hounds, Lightbenders and Spelljammers, hands down, and you should get the first three ASAP because every single deck in the game needs some card draw and dispels and these cards will work pretty much anywhere. You can wait on Spelljammers for a while, but keep in mind they're the gold standard for good draw + strong body so they're an amazing investment.
-Look up key cards for each faction and get them ASAP for whatever faction you most like to play as (unless you're Vet in which case you may want to spend a while learning another faction while expanding your collection and waiting on Blood of Air). Something like Magmar's Makantor Warbeast completely changes the way a deck plays if you have three of it, compared to none.
-Learn to control the center of the map. Positioning is unbelievably important in Duelyst. If you can lock your opponent down, you will almost certainly win the game. Much like in chess, the center lets you exert force pretty much anywhere else in the map pretty trivially, so getting used to fighting for it is valuable.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Many thanks, I'm digging both the gameplay and the weird aesthetics. Mecha dinos!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://news.duelyst.com/duelyst-patch-1-89/

Patch apparently

Where mobile? :( need this on my commute

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If they cant get mobile out soon this game is gonna be dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah every real-life person I play card games with plays it on their phones, and on Android in particular. I've migrated back to Hearthstone even though Duelyst is a distinctly better game and has a better business model (although not by as much of a margin as they did at release) because of it.

e: also bring back daily puzzles

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Koirhor posted:

I have much better things to play on my PC and very few games I like to play on my phone. So mobile would probably help get me back into playing the game.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah every real-life person I play card games with plays it on their phones, and on Android in particular. I've migrated back to Hearthstone even though Duelyst is a distinctly better game and has a better business model (although not by as much of a margin as they did at release) because of it.

e: also bring back daily puzzles

At least Eternal has a good mobile client for those us that want to play MTG but probably have to wait another year for Arena to get released.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Picked the game up again now that they've gone back to being able to mill at least some of the expansion cards. Really enjoying Desolator.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Yeah tbh I'm desperate to get back into playing this but if the mobile release isn't out in the next couple months I'll probably forget about it altogether

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i heard there's a new expansion

did they change anything about the pay model? mobile clients out yet?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This was easily my favorite digital TCG of all time, but I don't play it all anymore. I haven't touched it 7-8 months. I think they just emphasized the wrong things, like not getting that mobile client out.

Steamcharts suggest that the game usually has 100-200 players on, and it looks like it's been hitting 300 with the new expansion. So yea, it's basically dead.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Minrad posted:

i heard there's a new expansion

did they change anything about the pay model? mobile clients out yet?

Digital currency and no.

I went "hey new expansion!" But I definitely lost most of my interest in the game around a year ago.

The new stuff is... neat? But nothing is as good as right before Shimzars drop when I first started and then right after. That was definitely the most fun I had with it

They need more game modes tbh. Rift was a good start but they need something like Tavern Brawl to keep people logging in.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've been having fun with it but I'm sure I'll drop off in a little bit as I usually do. The build mechanic is neat, the mech changes are interesting, and S.I.L.V.E.R. is a gently caress-you card I've had the displeasure of being on the receiving end of a few times now.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Megasabin posted:

This was easily my favorite digital TCG of all time, but I don't play it all anymore. I haven't touched it 7-8 months. I think they just emphasized the wrong things, like not getting that mobile client out.

Steamcharts suggest that the game usually has 100-200 players on, and it looks like it's been hitting 300 with the new expansion. So yea, it's basically dead.

I really liked the game ~2 years ago when it was draw 2, replace 1/turn, because it was something fresh- one of the few TCGs that didn't revolve around card advantage, and was more focused on positioning and tempo.

I also liked that it diverged from Hearthstone in not outsourcing as much player choice as possible to RNG mechanics to protect players from making bad ones: "Blow up a random creature on either side of the board! Buff a random creature! Put a random card of type X from the entire card pool into play! Anything goes in this whacky game!!"

Then Duelyst switched to draw 1 and gave random mechanics to something like 1/4 cards in the first expansion, because hey, Hearthstone is doing pretty well.

A couple of good alternatives I've tried since are Eternal, which is like a much better Hearthstone in spite of regrettably using MtG's resource system, and Faeria, which is novel in a lot of cool ways but has a very slow development cycle and I got sick of the card pool not changing for 6 months.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sad to see this is dying, back when it was draw 2 it was my favorite card game and I spent actual money on it something I never do byt I quit the day the changed to draw one.

Still no mobile client is incredible.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Barudak posted:

Sad to see this is dying, back when it was draw 2 it was my favorite card game and I spent actual money on it something I never do byt I quit the day the changed to draw one.

Still no mobile client is incredible.
It's even more incredible when their client uses Electron and can run in a browser.

Duelyst is one of the best CCGs I've played, too.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I'm pretty just coming across this game... is it already dead in the water? If so I won't waste any money getting a few boosters..

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I'm pretty just coming across this game... is it already dead in the water? If so I won't waste any money getting a few boosters..

It doesn't take long to find a match. I'd say just do Free to Play and if you like it then go ahead. I still play it at off-peak hours since fighting against non-meta decks is more fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's still amazing to me that they had something as good as the daily puzzles -- i'd literally log in every day for those even if i wasn't interested in playing ladder -- and just stopped doing it

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Not dead. Doesn't take too long to find a match and there's new expansions/content constantly in the works.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's still amazing to me that they had something as good as the daily puzzles -- i'd literally log in every day for those even if i wasn't interested in playing ladder -- and just stopped doing it

We had someone whose job it was to make daily challenges for every day of the week. This was such a time consuming task that it was pretty much his primary responsibility. After several months of running the daily challenges it was determined that they had 0 impact on player retention so the project was scrapped because it wasn't really benefiting the company enough to have an entire team member (from a small team) make them. For what it's worth I really loved the daily challenges too.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I was so loving hooked on this game for a few months over 2016/2017, and although my interest did gradually wane a little bit, the news of mobile/console ports got me hyped to get back into it. Now though, uh, um, lol

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kronikle posted:

We had someone whose job it was to make daily challenges for every day of the week. This was such a time consuming task that it was pretty much his primary responsibility. After several months of running the daily challenges it was determined that they had 0 impact on player retention so the project was scrapped because it wasn't really benefiting the company enough to have an entire team member (from a small team) make them. For what it's worth I really loved the daily challenges too.

For what it's worth they were the main thing getting me to boot up the game as well.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

New expansion is out! The Trials of Mythron, featuring Intensify, a special keyword that repeats the text after it X times, where X is the number of times that card has been played this game (as well as multiple cards to shuffle copies back into your deck or hand) and Destiny which act similar to quests.

This also marks the first rotation of Duelyst, with cards lost on rotation here.

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to theory crafting some decks. We've got our first explicit mill card (7 mana 7/7, burns 3 cards per minion you play), Abyssian looks like part of their identity will be stealing cards from the opponent's deck, and who knows what else!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I thought it was out tomorrow?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Sorry, I meant the full spoilers. I always end up back in Duelyst for a month or two post-expansion since it's a great time to theorycraft janky decks.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

https://duelyst.com/news/trials-of-mythron-live

Notable promotion bits:

quote:

There will be a log-in event where you'll receive three Trials of Mythron Orbs. This one-time log-in event award will be available until April 30th, so pick up your orbs by then!

We are also updating our Twitch Drops campaign to use Trials of Mythron orbs while also including a brand new campaign! Between March 27th through April 4th, stop by and watch one of our card-reveal streamers for 45 Minutes to earn 3 Trials of Mythron orbs!

To earn this one-time drop, tune into any of the following broadcasters over on Twitch: CaptainFrost, Collazo, Fate, Freud, GhostlyTuna, Grinch, Hsuku, Makuta, Scarzig, or Sylvermyst

Finally, we're running an extended Bonus Diamond sale starting today until Monday, April 2nd as a duo Easter/Expansion celebration! If you're looking to stock up on Diamonds for this new expansion, now is your chance to get more for less!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

EDIT: Serves me for skimming the update notes:

quote:

After giving it much thought, we have decided to make Cosmetic Crates free to open!

gibbed fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 27, 2018

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Not a terrible amount of Healyonar support which makes me sad, but I do want to give my Dying Wish abyssian decks a once over and see if they're serviceable.

But I'll probably get burned out in like 2 days. Pvp games eat my patience.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Mythron cards start in your hand after your mulligan and don't activate their Destiny until played, which can be a big problem for high-cost Mythron cards. They also pop a little "Trial Incomplete" on the general so it's very obvious someone's going for it.

This also means something like the neutral mythron which is a 7 mana 7/7 -- Have no identical minions in your deck / All minions gain +1/+1 is a tough gameplan to put off if you're not able to play the mythron until turn 5 (or, I suppose, you get it out on turn 3 by accelerating it).

Some of them are very cool, others are kind of :psyduck: in their completion requirements. Abyssian works hand-in-hand with a dying wish deck, Magmar can do well too. I've seen Lyonar complete theirs the most consistently, but promotion can really mess up your gameplan since it also wipes buffs and might clear a provoke you were counting on. I've finished Vetruvian but it's hard to see it being worth it unless you specifically do neurolink shenanigans to complete it right away and then play normally (especially since you telegraph where you're trying to go). Songhai is weird but doable, and Vanar's question just seem completely impossible to complete against an opponent that's awake at the keyboard.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Ouch. I was doing my annual check up on how Duelyst is going and if mobile release is any closer, and apparently it sounds more like CPG is in its death throes. They laid off 5 or 6 employees since the end of March, including the former lead designer Joseki and our thread resident Kronikle.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:rip:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Kind of a shame, but the writing's been on the wall. I liked the last expansion but ended up quitting because Grimes being able to pop out a Gate To the Undervault is absolute horseshit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bums me the gently caress out. Game is brilliant but no mobile meant I just didn't play it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

victrix posted:

Bums me the gently caress out. Game is brilliant but no mobile meant I just didn't play it.
Fully same. The few months I was really into it were a lot of fun and it's been sad to see any hope of a mobile release gradually evaporate.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Minrad posted:

Ouch. I was doing my annual check up on how Duelyst is going and if mobile release is any closer, and apparently it sounds more like CPG is in its death throes. They laid off 5 or 6 employees since the end of March, including the former lead designer Joseki and our thread resident Kronikle.

I think there's only 3 devs left who are still working on the game (plus maybe some artists). Not sure if the remaining devs are still gonna be making any new content at this point or if it's just maintenance mode. It sucks because I really really enjoyed working on Duelyst and still think it's a fantastic game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It was a super fun game but no mobile mode really hurt it.

I wont lie though I went from “I love this game and everyone should play it” to “everyonce in a while is enough” when they went from two card draw to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I really liked the game in theory but as someone who mostly tried to f2p it games took way too long and even doing dailies felt like a slog.

• Locked thread