Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

She puts on her left glove. Amaya glances at their prisoners. <<Okay… put them on snooze so we can get going!>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<Well, I can't listen in on their comms, but I can at least hear what they're telling this team. And I think I can annoy the hell out of them if we need to, maybe slow them down a little with some white noise.>> Steve gets up and nods sagely, taking a few odds and ends from the pile. Then he begins stomping on the rest of them. <<Anybody want to help me stomp these into oblivion?>>

<<Tranqs don't last forever, and we should make sure they can't radio back in when they come to.>>

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Becky

Becky taps her guns together.

<You know what does last forever?>

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

<<You can do it, Steve!>> Amaya clasps her hands together and hops in place. She then tilts her head at Rebecca. <<No way! I want them to talk about us. You'll thank me later!>>

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mary

She moves over to where Steve’s working on the equipment and brings down a heavy boot, and again, obliterating the equipment. Another stomp. She nods at him, <<Go take care of them.>> Nodding to Slide, <<Come on, we got more jungle to cover, less time to do it in.>> And finally looking back to Becky, she takes a stride to stand between her and the prisoners, looking down at the small woman, “We’re going to tranq ‘em, and restrain ‘em, then move on. We can talk ‘bout it after we exfil, if you really want to, but for now…” …have a little pride. “Go get Jay’s back, yeah? We’ll fall in shortly.”

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Jaylene Slide, Psi Null Pathfinder
Current Sheet

<<We just need them out for a few hours to make the hump to their basecamp. After that I don't care what stories they tell about us. Lets keep it moving.>> Jaylene says as she makes sure no further fatalities result before heading out back into the jungle.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2015 around 05:44

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

0507 - JUNGLE

Time passes. Lightning is joined by its good friends thunder, and the party crasher, rain. The Tiger equipment sufficiently and thoroughly FUBAR, the squad reasses its options. The captive hostages aren't going anywhere fast but have no further useful information to divulge for Jaylene's line of questioning, and what visibility there was in the moments before dawn have a curtain of water drawn around it. Everything is wet and a humid 78 degrees Farenheit. At Nanako's command, the three take a temporary nap under a choice tree a bit of a ways away from the clearing, both for disorienting purposes and also to make sure they're not going to lose it by waking up next to two rapidly decomposing corpses. They'll likely find their way back to civilization one way or the other given enough time. Tiger Army soldiers are hardy so long as they're not catching bullets in their heads.

If you're ready to continue we can move on to the next phase unless there's something special that you want to do that hasn't already been done.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Ready to move on.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

<<Let's go—everyone follow Lena!>> she chirps before assuming her position in their standard formation.

I picked a reflex suit, a small monowire knife, and a holdout pistol HUD linked to an armored hyperspectral visor with some software.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Becky

Becky scowls but does not shoot anyone else, following after Jaylene. <Got it. Fine.>

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mary

She waits until Becky’s moved on to lower her crossed arms and sigh. She finishes helping Steve prepare the poor soldiers for their nap, then does the dead soldiers a courtesy of placing their bodies under a tree.

We good

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

Steve takes a moment to double-check the napping soldiers, and the smashed electronics, and jogs to catch up to the group.

good to go

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

1013 - TIGER COMPOUND

It's high morning and it looks like poo poo outside.

Five kilometers in thick jungle, even for someone seasoned with the bush, took hours. It was precisely because people so seasoned recognize the dangers of heavy jungle more readily that slows the journey. A statistically significant example of attrition has been shown (through declassified biometric telemetry from the First Indonesian War and extrapolated data from various Amazon encounters) from, as one as one reporter called it, "Jungle-related catastrophes".

The rain has only worsened in the last four hours and visibility is down to one quarter as normal. As a result, Jaylene, still on point, almost finds herself stumbling into oblivion.

A large hill rears before the group as the TAC-NAV politely informs them that they have arrived at their destination. Currently on an outcropping overlooking a deep valley, Peregrine, as always, was right with the intel. How FALCON got a hold of the location for this base is left as an unanswered question, since it's definitely hidden by a clever trick of the terrain. One of the massive cave systems that Indonesia and much of Southeast Asia is known for with its own microclimate streches out. The rainfall has caused rivers to turn into torrential gushes, and if one fancied themselves a nature tourist, the vantage point that Jaylene nearly became another of the statistical sample on yields a stunning panorama.

In the cave/valley floor large pools have formed with catwalks bolted above them in a confound of pathways. Nobody's on them now, but it looks like they're service ways for the pump and filtration system for the base. Several large pump stations siphon the rainwater through a harvesting system and back to the base, with hydroelectric converters storing a likely considerable amount of reserve power.

Further in there are several walled structures surrounding a large four story building with all manner of milspec communications gear on top of it. That must be the AAA control center that was mentioned in the mission brief. Each of the smaller buildings has people coming and going from it hurriedly. White lab coats, worn Tiger Army fatigues, and so on. There appears to be something going on in the compound.

The TAC-NAV flashes a warning. Heavy electromagnetic interference means it has to switch to cached data, and all that can see is that there is a hill in front of the group. GPS assistance will be useless here - it seems like that they'll need to do things the old fashioned way.

You're currently thirty feet above the catwalks. You have enough equipment to rappel down no problem, or you can look for another way into the compound.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

Amaya leans forward and crosses her arms at their objective. She sways side-to-side while utilizing her hyperspectral visor. The mercenary begins scrutinizing enemy movement to deduce the Tiger Army's strategy for defending the complex.

Strategy (Land)-14

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

1020 - TIGER COMPOUND

Nanako spends some time marking out patrols, but it will take awhile to actually process the data in detail. She gets the high notes after a few minutes of intense study, though - there are rotating squads such that there is always an additional squad in support range of the other one in the perimiter. There are manned gun emplacements on the walls and a few lookout towers on the opposite end of the compound (from the FALCON squad's perspective), where a large helipad resides with several VTOLs. Whoever arranged the patrols at the base itself is no joke - this is a heavily fortified area. There still are some openings, though, but the timing is strict.

There aren't any real blind sides visible, but slipping through where the coverage is weakest and going in through a service corridor is likely the best option. It'd all have to be very quick and hush hush - it seems that the base is on high alert, but not because of the squad they wiped out earlier. It does require finesse, otherwise things will become complicated. The OWL agent is nowhere to be found.

Nanako critically succeeds in her strategy roll.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mary

The veteran guerilla stands looming over Miss Amaya with her arms crossed, watching her watch the Tiger compound. <<Well-drilled, aren’t they? Target’s there though, just over the pools.>> With a thoughtful gesture, she offers up, <<So what do you think? Opening big enough for us, or do we have to make our own?>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
Jaylene and Nanako are likely scoping out the base for similar reasons. Where Nanako is looking at how the Tiger Army would defend the base and their weaknesses, Jaylene is figuring out how she'll ghost each individual patrol at each chokepoint or outright eliminate them in a firefight. A firefight that wakes up the base would be the last thing she wants, but then again, she's Jaylene loving Slide. She's pretty confident about her chances of being able to fight her way out and survive. Now fighting her way out with an asset, thats a different story. <<Ok friends. Moment of truth if any of you all have some sideline you need to get done before we come out of there and score the primary say something now. For my part, I got a priority directive from FALCON command to extract an asset. This asset is being held prisoner. Primary objective comes before all but I'm not leaving without her. I'll cut one you guys in for 20% of my cut for the main job if you go out of your way to help me get my payday. But uhh, I think I can handle this without loving up our exfil.>>

<<First things first, getting inside.>> Jaylene says as she goes quiet for a few minutes to muse and study whats in front of her. <<They won't get off our jocks for this one. I'm not sure if any of these timing windows are big enough for us to sneak the whole squad in but going one by one, two by twos maybe? We can definitely ghost them but the exfil is going to be a problem...unless one of you knows how to fly.>> She says as she looks over at the helipad. "Alternatively, some big explosions at the helipad would divert the security teams to handle that first and give us a window to bounce out. I'll tell you more after I figure it. By the way those ICEE nano mix packs at the commissary, so loving worth it.>> Jaylene says as she mixes one into her canteen and enjoys an instant ICEE after a minute or two.

Tactics at 12 base please. Also where are those guys in lab coats walking in and out of mainly?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 16:38

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<Falcon needs me to switch some data out. I guess if you see a big bank of hard drives or anything let me know, but getting a prisoner out seems like it's a bit more high priority.>> Steve just drinks normal water out of his canteen, disappointment visible on his face. <<As for how we want to go, I'm all for staying quiet until we get the job done, and using the buddy system if we need to. An explosion sounds like it could do more harm than good.>>

<<Anybody want to be my buddy?>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<You know my going rate Steve. 20%. Shake on it and its a done deal.>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<Jeez, Jay, I'm not asking you to hack the gibson, just tell me if you see anything and I'll do the same.>>

He reluctantly shakes her hand.

.
..
...

<<Wait, you're getting a bonus?>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 14:09

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<Good deal then. Hey want an ICEE?>> Jaylene says as she holds up another nano packet of the good stuff.

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<More than anything...>> Steve says, ICEE envy visible in his eyes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<Coke, Strawberry, or Blueberry dude?>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

Steve thinks long and hard about this, truly the most important question of his mercenary career. <<Definitely the cola.>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
Jaylene smiles as she digs through one of the pockets of her tiger stripe Reflex Bodysuit and fishes out a small packet of Coke ICEE and hands it to Steve. "Normally nanites are powered by body heat and glucose and stuff, I dunno. But this mix right here has everything it needs to turn ordinary, air-heated canteen water into the best battlefield beverage on this side of the Eastern hemisphere. Give a few minutes to do its thing and enjoy."

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

Steve's eyes light up as he excitedly mixes the paste with a canteen of water, watching it expectantly. Thinking suddenly, he reaches into a pouch and pulls out a single chalky looking tablet, handing it to Jaylene with no explanation. <<Don't worry, it's chewable.>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 16:35

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<Whats it do? Is it gonna get me high?>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<What? No, it's just food. I figure your prisoner might need it when you find her, depending on how the Tiger Army tend to treat their POWs.>> Steve pulls out a small foil pack, and rattles off nutritional information. <<It's not going to make anyone feel full, but it'll stop you from starving.>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 16:36

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
Jaylene pockets the thing. <<Not a bad thought but if she's been put through the ringer she's gonna need first aid, not just a ration pill. Also this is how these look like? For real?>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

Steve shrugs and sips his icey treat. <<They look a lot of different ways. I think these ones are an old style though, before they started adding appetite suppressants and stuff. Not the best, but it gets the job done. I used to binge on these things like crazy at my last job. Deadlines were too strict to grab real food.>>

<<As for first aid, I got that covered as well,>> He says, patting a large bag on his belt, <<I'm not great at a lot of this Merc stuff, but I've got the best test scores here when it comes to first aid.>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 16:35

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Becky

<I can keep one package alive. Don't know about two. If I have to pick, that package is Steve. He might be a useless sack of poo poo, but he's our useless sack of poo poo. So I guess that makes you my buddy, Steve. God, you are such a lameass suit. Buddy system, Jesus gently caress.>

Becky has been quietly reloading her magazines.

<How's the armor situations look here? I brought party favors but I'm not gonna use 'em if I don't have to. They cost.>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<...I like the buddy system.>>

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2015 around 16:34

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Becky

<Nah, it works for you, you definitely need someone to keep your rear end from getting shot. Just, y'know, I gotta wonder. Did your mama pack you a lunch, too?>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<I hear that Becky. Here's the thing, this prisoner was one of those undercover agents. And FALCON's intel on this place is pretty on point. My gut says she's the reason for it. Not saying go out your way but if you by chance run into someone indian chick thats like 5'7, long black hair and with a star-shaped birthmark above her left eye give me a shout ok and I'll handle that.">>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Radioactive Bears posted:

Steve

<<Jeez, Jay, I'm not asking you to hack the gibson, just tell me if you see anything and I'll do the same.>>

He reluctantly shakes her hand.

.
..
...

<<Wait, you're getting a bonus?>>

<<Nah I'm not getting a bonus, I gotta get her out or I don't get paid. Also you do realize I was kidding about the 20% right? You're on the team, I'll make sure you are covered.>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<Oh thank god.>> Steve lets out an audible breath. <<That sounds good though. I got your back with the hostage if you got mine with the data, Jay.>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<Deal, so hows that ICEE?>>

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

<<Perfect.>> He continues sipping, a look of utter contention spreading across his face. <<Are there supposed to be so many lab coats wandering around? I'm new to this but that seems... off.>>

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
Current Sheet
<<Absolutely not. There has to be a lab somewhere in that base. Keep your eyes peeled, try to figure which buildings they are frequenting.>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mary

Her scowl deepens, <<So we gotta find the brig, and this data thing… you think it’s in the lab? Not the ops center or something?>> Changes some things, now they gotta get in real quiet because they’re going to be searching, and there’s no telling how long. She would love an ICEE but…

<<So, we work our way in together, brig’s low, lab’s probably ground or down low, operations up higher.>> She’s not the most brilliant one on the team, but she’s done similar things like this before, so she workshops, laying out her thinking for the others, <<Sounds like… Sounds like two teams. Thinkin’…>>

<<So I’m thinking, Jay and Amaya head for the brig, secure the prisoner, and then try and secure transit for our way out. Lee, Robert’n’me, we make for the lab then finish the AAA thing at ops. Longer we go without anyone knowing we’re here, the better but…>> She shrugs her shoulders a little, uncrossing her arms and putting hands on her hips, <<…we’re gonna get made sooner or later, so all of this might fall apart at some point. That happens, we head there…>> Pointing, <<North gate. If that’s blown, we disperse, try’n make your way back here. Failing that, just find one of halcón‘s extraction points from TACNAV, and if that’s all hosed, head for the beach we landed on. Cool?>>

  • Locked thread