Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
  • Locked thread
Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

"Beck this door takes keycards. Shooting it wouldn't help. In fact it would anti-help."

"I mean, we could just blow the door, though. We've very clearly lost the element of surprise. I think I can get us in a bit quieter, if you can give me cover." Steve says, shifting around some tools, and staying low on his way to the glass cube. "I can work with the lock. Might be able to get us in without having to waste charges or ammo."

Using Electronics Operation (Security) at 18 to try and bypass the keycard lock on the war room door.

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2015 around 07:45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
"Yeah get steve in the war room and he can figure out where everyone is at in this drat base. I'll set up to cover the HVT cells incase they get the idea to send guys in here." And jaylene does just that, taking cover behind some shredded workstation. Poor bastard, she thinks as she looks to the dead tiger army soldier next to her.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

1223 - TIGER COMPOUND - CHECKPOINT, 3F

Nanako poked around while Becky took took care of disabling the remainder of Tiger soldiers. None of them have anything constructive to say, either shellshocked or too injured to otherwise provide anything useful. As Jaylene and Mary stack up, the lights go out - something's going down

1225 - TIGER COMPOUND - HALLWAY, 3F

Steve gets to work on the keycard lock. The access codes are different here, but the wiring is doable. With his tools, though, he's able to spudge the panel open and get at the tasty bits to bypass the verification system entirely. Being able to perceive the flow of electricity is useful in this situation - while it might be jarring to someone newly awakened to their abilities, Steve's eyes are trained to interpret the signals.

It's around this time though that he sees a dramatic change in the flow of electricity. Namely, everything goes dark. The flow of electricity has stopped. Was it due to something they did in the pump stacks before? Or another one of the OWL's tricks?

It's a tense half minute before the failover generators kick in. Red light floods through the hallway. As Steve completes the wirework, the dangling access panel turns green, and the door to the war room slides open, dark save for a monitor array to one side and the window overlooking the operations floor below. Someone has busted the majority of the lights in the room - they flicker haphazardly, as if they were overloaded. The wires are still live. Periodic showers of sparks land on a table with strewn debris of various sorts: pens, papers of a classified nature, coffee mugs, limp hands belong to dead bodies. The upper echelon of the Tiger Base appears to be thoroughly engaged in the long sleep.

It's dark in here. Steve, you're technically on point next to the war room, if you're doing anything.

1226 - TIGER COMPOUND - CHECKPOINT, 3F

Nanako, preoccupied with her thoughts, is alerted to a viewport into the operations floor in the hallway. With the power uninterrupted it looks like all the workstations are booting back up. However, the multistory viewscreen of the Balinese theater is now returning no available data. By the time it recovers and displays the array not ten seconds later, the Youxia frames are no longer appearing on sensor sweeps.

For everybody else, feel free to investigate if you like or head into the side hallway and I can provide more info there.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

Amaya's eyes widen at the possible casualties being conveyed on the enormous screen. "Um… hmm," she murmurs before heading into the auxiliary elevator leading to the operations floor below. The former idol gesticulates and shakes her head as she exclaims, "This is—might be a big problem! I need to see if it's, like, really real!"

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mary

With the absence of the Youxia frames, she takes an educated guess as to their fate, “So much for the diversion. Running out of time.” To Becky and Jaylene, “Can you guys get eyes on Steve?

Holding her PDW at the ready, she joins Nanako, “Can you sniff out the OWL or something? No doubt he’s coming, and if you can point me at him, well, it'd go a long way to finishing things up here.” The Tiger Army is the larger force, but clearly isn't what she's focused on.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

"Maybe! I'll try my best! I'll probably get some easy access; I mean, it's their nerve centre," she blurts out a response. Amaya then moistens her lips and adds, "I'm familiar with faked info and stuff. And, well… we're lucky, the OWL wants his big showdown badly enough to leave a trail. Don't you, like, think he's that kind of guy?" She pauses after entering the elevator. "If we're unlucky and, um, he's putting on an act, then our extraction is going to get super, extra hard." The petite mercenary grips her similarly sized pistol and hesitates for a second before hitting the switch to go downstairs.

Computer Operation-15 and/or Electronics Operation: Media-14 plus Intelligence Analysis-14 for verifying and understanding information on the ops floor computers; Gregarious might give a -1 penalty to IQ skills if not being in a group of four or more kicks in then!

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

“Huh. Real dark in here.” Steve sighs to no one in particular. “Like, something-is-in-here-and-is-going-to-jump-out-at-me dark.” He rummages around in a pocket, and takes out a small flashlight attached to a nylon strap. “If I start screaming, please help.” He hastily affixes the light to his forehead, and dives behind a desk.

On point, entering the room using Rifle/14 to shoot at anything moving. Using Gizmos 2 to pull a penlight out of nowhere and use it to look around the room with Perception 16.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

1226 - WAR ROOM 3F

Steve fishes out a penlight from his tactical vest and starts having a look around with his gun at the ready. Nothing stirs as he shines the light, but he can clearly mark at least 8 bodies that are not moving all surrounding the main conference table. This isn't actually particularly unsettling, but there is a certain level of wrongness - who killed the base staff? The reconnoitering of the room is slow - Steve finds a tripwire right away leading to a grenade. Simple enough to get around, but an effective trap nonetheless. In his suit, the audio activity sensor is picking up some kind of noise outside of the group chatter and background noise, but he can't pinpoint it. Is it someone talking?

One of the more decorated members of the Tiger Army was not angled particularly gracefully, and she abruptly slides out of her chair as gravity asserts a more firm hold on her limp body. In one hand is a telephone receiver off the hook. The audio volume changes, but whatever is coming through the handset will need to be amplified before Steve can parse it. In other words, it's too quiet.

1227 - OPERATIONS ELEVATOR

Nanako and Mary branch off and head into the lift, going down. There is a brief moment where there's a question if the thing is even working after the doors slide shut, but thankfully there are no claymores or improvised booby traps that are in the lift. Nanako figures that there's a good reason for that, but when the two see the door cycle and open up, they are greeted by...nobody. The operations floor is devoid of anything alive except for them. This fully contradicts what Nanako was seeing on the original elevator ride up and in the hallway - there were scores of people in here

- or were there? Nobody else seems to have even made a mention of it, not even Mary or Jaylene, both people who are extremely adept at surfacing activity like that. Doubt trickles into the back of Nanako's mind. What did the others think at this point?

Nanako gains 2 CP.

1230 - OPERATIONS FLOOR

In the happy-go-lucky way of things, Operator Nanako has an unlocked terminal nearby with which to analyze the latest data that's put up on the multistory display. The information is tactical in nature - each discrete workstation on the floor represents coverage of the Tiger Army anti-air artillery network, segmented in such a way that it only displays the relevant information for that coverage grid. Backing out of that runtime though allows her to review other operational bits, including a local area only messaging system and the ability to pull information from the main display back down to the terminal. One thing - it looks like that there is a notification waiting at the terminal, but whatever it is hasn't actually been opened yet. It's the only thing on the messaging system that hasn't been read.

The timestamp is 12:25. In other words, when the lights went out earlier.

I'm in the process of moving right now, so if you've been wondering what the hell is going on, that's what's going on.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Jaylene
PREVIOUSLY ON CHRONICLES OF THE PSYCHIC WARS
Jaylene sticks close to Steve as he does his work, keeping an eye on the HVT cells.

CURRENTLY ON CHRONICLES OF THE PSYCHIC WARS
"You good here Steve? I need to go recover the package." Jaylene says out loud, not noticing the telephone off the hook as she's still sighted down, looking at the way to the HVT cells. <<Jaylene here, beginning my sweep of the HVT cells. I'll shout if I have resistance.>> Jaylene begins advancing into the HVT cells after checking for any booby traps

Jaylene: Sweeping through and operating silently as much as possible. Stealth/20 for general movement. Guns 22 on any hostiles IDed as she makes her way through and goes looking for the intel operative she needs to extract.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Becky

Becky has been babysitting Steve. She tends to take it as her duty to do so, because she views him as a tiny baby who cannot shoot gun very well, and also her pet techmonkey.

She has her guns ready to shoot anyone that's trouble, but so far, no trouble.

She's not even singing any more.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Nanako Amaya

Amaya pouts in front of her commandeered workstation. "Eh… wasn't this room, like, full of tigers?" She beckons Mariana over after spotting the unread message. The operator then opens it so they can peruse its contents!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Mariana

“How’d you mean?” Her brows furrow intently. Asking questions like, makes her think. “What’d they evacuate or something?” She clicks her tongue, and impulsively draws her weapon and fires at an open space on the operations floor, then another. Then she moves the barrel to a space where a supervisor might stand to get a good view of the op center, and shoots a third time. Seeming satisfied with the non-result, she holsters the sidearm again. All a rather odd bout of seemingly random gunfire.

Turning back to Nanako, “Think about what you’ve seen, mm? Good to compare notes back often. This whole thing…” She shakes her head, “I was expecting a fight instead we get… weirdness.”

She’s just firing three shots around the area impulsively, seeing if she gets a reaction out of… anything, searching for someone hiding. Her Perception’s only 10, but she at least has Mind Shield 3 – she’s trying to figure out if there’s some sort of trap or chicanery going on. Mary’s just backing up Nanako and Jaylene ultimately though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.


Steve

“Huh, what do you have to say, mysterious headset?” Steve whispers to no one in particular before picking the errant piece of equipment up and turning it over in his hands. He takes a gander at the console it's attached to, and begins to fiddle with it, putting an ear up to the speaker.

Using Electronics Operation [Communications] at 18 to amplify the headsets volume and hear what's on the other end.

  • Locked thread
«6 »