Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What does a nearly all-beer diet do to ya? When I'm not working I tend to stick to a diet of mostly stout and porter with some pickles and lettuce thrown in for roughage. How much earlier will I die?

Aside from everything everyone else has said, if you keep that diet up in the long term you're putting yourself at risk of Korsakoff psychosis from thiamine deficiency. You don't want that. At the very least you need a Vitamin B supplement, but you really should be eating actual food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

Aside from everything everyone else has said, if you keep that diet up in the long term you're putting yourself at risk of Korsakoff psychosis from thiamine deficiency. You don't want that. At the very least you need a Vitamin B supplement, but you really should be eating actual food.
Holy poo poo :stare: I hadn't heard about that being possible without people being like, straight up alcoholics before.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

It's practically impossible to get malnutrition on a western diet, especially if he eats stuff like pizza. Pizza is nutritionally very rich.

It sounds like he is just a manchild, which is not something that a banana can help with. I think the only solution here is to get him a 60's style housewife that will take care of him like a child. Maybe try a Malaysian mail order wife? They have a very good reputation.

Guy might even get malayed.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Tendai posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: I hadn't heard about that being possible without people being like, straight up alcoholics before.

If he's getting nearly all his daily calories from beer then that's honestly some pretty serious alcohol abuse; he's either running a significant caloric deficit or drinking about a gallon of beer a day. Either way he's not getting the nutrition he needs.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 26, 2015

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The one "influence victory" I can partially claim with my wife is sugar intake. Still, she tends to miss the connection with most of her carbs. And still asks for "fat reduced" equivalents despite endless explanations on what the fat substitutes almost always are.

On one hand I have a little bit of sympathy. I didn't regularly eat a lot of fruits and veggies until my late thirties. I would always refuse leafed salads at restaurants until just a few years ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just wanted to inform everyone that I eat very healthy food and dislike unhealthy fast food. I ate a Big Mac once and literally vomited blood afterwards.

(Threads like this almost always end up full of humble bragging.)

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

My co-worker eats the same lunch every day: two cup-a-soup cream of chicken sachets and a small cup of milk. Apart from that I've only seen him eat crisps and drink coke. I asked him what he eats at home: twice a week he has a pepperoni pizza from Dominoes and on the other days he has beige oven food like chicken nuggets and fries.

He looks like poo poo and is frequently ill (he's been off all week), but I don't think he's actually suffering from scurvy or severe anaemia. Is there a baseline level of nutrients in his diet keeping him alive? When I ask him why he doesn't eat other stuff, he just says he isn't interested or something like "Yeah, I tried a banana once and I don't want another one".

I grew up eating worse than that. College was the first time I ate red meat, beans, nuts, tuna, whole grains, oil outside of restaurant meals and precooked food, soup, sauce, and any vegetable other than lettuce and steamed broccoli. My single mom ate even fewer things than I did -- just bagels, salad, apples, margarine, steamed broccoli, and butternut squash soup in a box. It's very hard to flat out die from eating poorly, but there are all kinds of lovely chronic malnutrition problems you can live through. My mother got anemia and osteoporosis in her 30s and as a teenager I had blood pressure low enough to lose vision daily and full-on pass out once a month or so.

Not trying new foods is understandable for somebody who has eaten limited food their whole life. Not only are the tastes unfamiliar, but if you've eaten very low fiber and protein your whole life, the body isn't ready to digest something with a drastically different texture.

Saeku fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 26, 2015

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

gentle pete posted:

How come these "supertasters" never use their godlike tasting powers to become wine critics or Michelin reviewers? Whenever someone calls themselves a supertaster it's always because they only eat french fries and chicken nuggets

Because they self-diagnose themselves as such based on nothing other than the fact they only eat a small variety of foods. In other words, they are not supertasters, they just have food issues like they are still 3 years old.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ytlaya posted:

I just wanted to inform everyone that I eat very healthy food and dislike unhealthy fast food. I ate a Big Mac once and literally vomited blood afterwards.

You should probably see a medical professional about that

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think that has been the case, really. Lots of people have admitted to substandard diets, in fact.

Very interesting stuff. I should have thought of the fact that humans would survive on whatever they could get, which may have been even more limited than what my coworker eats, so it's no surprise that he 'survives', although he is damaging his longterm health through malnutrition. He's 32 now, so not a college kid. He just got back to work from having stomach problems all week and I expect he'll have his usual lunch out of fear that having anything else will upset his stomach again.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

As long as potatoes, grains and dairy are in his diet and he isn't over or undereating by a huge amount, he could potentially live an average life. You forget how lovely the average person's diet was through the ages. For a long time in Europe, meat was a luxury and people just ate a ton of root vegetables and bread as staples, getting hold of a bird or some fruit now and then. That's without getting into poo poo like taverns having filthy standards of hygiene and people being sold unregulated food with poisonous ingredients. At one point in the 1500s, English writer Tobias Smollett remarked on a trend of people buying white bread over brown, which encouraged scam artists to make lovely white bread cut with garbage. According to him, people knew what was in it, but bought it anyway. With the exception of really poor people in deprived areas, people who eat crap today are basically doing the same thing, only due to taste and convenience rather than not having access to better stuff.

As far as "why didn't anyone slap some sense into him", the answer is that people will have tried when he was a kid and not really had the willpower or knowledge of how to get him to eat vegetables. Sometimes a parent gives their kid lovely food at first, the kid forms a habit, and then when they try to give the kid vegetables it seems like an insurmountable task because the child will do anything to get their way. Sometimes a kid just doesn't like most vegetables, though. I was raised with pretty good food and came out as someone who was saying their favourite food was salad as a six year old, but my brother only likes a few cruciferous vegetables and mushrooms a couple of times a week. Either way, once they're an adult there isn't much you can do other than laugh at them on TLC because it's their life and they can do whatever they want.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A person can live a long time eating terrible food. There was a case in the UK of a girl who ate only chicken nuggets for like 10 years and it took that long for health effects to catch up enough to be moderately serious.

My personal story is that I knew/know a guy who will not eat fruit or vegetables. To the extent that he would not eat pizza because it has tomatoes on it. He lived exclusively on coke and chocolate bars/crisps. He was Scottish and actually very thin. Pale and tiny, like stunted. He was also failing at everything in his life pretty much, which probably had something to do with being nutritionally bankrupt. I expect him to die young.

Other people who knew him/me told me to leave it alone and not confront him, not my business, and that it was weird that I had a problem with it. From my POV the dude's committing some weird long drawn out suicide, but yeah. Somebody should just cram some carrots in his face imo.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Thuryl posted:

but yeast has lots of B-vitamins

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Saeku posted:

I grew up eating worse than that. College was the first time I ate red meat, beans, nuts, tuna, whole grains, oil outside of restaurant meals and precooked food, soup, sauce, and any vegetable other than lettuce and steamed broccoli. My single mom ate even fewer things than I did -- just bagels, salad, apples, margarine, steamed broccoli, and butternut squash soup in a box. It's very hard to flat out die from eating poorly, but there are all kinds of lovely chronic malnutrition problems you can live through. My mother got anemia and osteoporosis in her 30s and as a teenager I had blood pressure low enough to lose vision daily and full-on pass out once a month or so.

christ :gonk:

never post again you loving moron

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Healthy food is good but today I had Taco Bell and it was good in that "oh god this is horrible" sort of way.

I thought I was a picky kid for not liking cabbage and cauliflower, then SA taught me about people in their 20s who live on chicken nuggets. Thanks for the self-esteem boost, SA.

Rond
Mar 2, 2015

Tendai posted:

Healthy food is good but today I had Taco Bell and it was good in that "oh god this is horrible" sort of way.

I thought I was a picky kid for not liking cabbage and cauliflower, then SA taught me about people in their 20s who live on chicken nuggets. Thanks for the self-esteem boost, SA.

Indeed, there's a lot of people who dislike most vegetables and fruits... It's impressing.

I know some people that only eat pastas and fries and that kind of stuff... They are "healthy" but meh. Some people are probably taking vitamins and pills to get some things you only find in vegetables I think.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTOYGnqU4Y

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jeza posted:

My personal story is that I knew/know a guy who will not eat fruit or vegetables. To the extent that he would not eat pizza because it has tomatoes on it. He lived exclusively on coke and chocolate bars/crisps. He was Scottish and actually very thin. Pale and tiny, like stunted. He was also failing at everything in his life pretty much, which probably had something to do with being nutritionally bankrupt. I expect him to die young.

Other people who knew him/me told me to leave it alone and not confront him, not my business, and that it was weird that I had a problem with it. From my POV the dude's committing some weird long drawn out suicide, but yeah. Somebody should just cram some carrots in his face imo.

Some people just hate food. A nutritionally complete human dogfood like "Bachelor chow" could be a really useful product for guys like this. It'd have to taste really bland and cheesy I guess.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

lmao how is talking about eating healthy "bragging"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

guys im going to eat some chicken breasts to day, and some carrots *smugly climbs the social status ladder as people bow to my superior eating habits*

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
So, update on the guy. He came back to work today and told us that he'd had stomach pain and IBS symptoms, so he went to the doctor and he has to take medicine before he eats anything. He was also advised to change his diet, but he was moaning about what a pain that would be. Surely giving himself stupid chronic health problems is worse than changing his diet a bit?

Anyway, he started the change by having a cream of tomato soup sachet for lunch today. Apparently a sachet counts as a vegetable portion so I wonder if I'll see a change in his health if he makes the swap permanent. He commented about it being acidic so I expect he'll go back to the chicken salt water soon.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

BarbarianElephant posted:

Some people just hate food. A nutritionally complete human dogfood like "Bachelor chow" could be a really useful product for guys like this. It'd have to taste really bland and cheesy I guess.
Why don't you buy Soylent, then? It's almost exactly what you say, except more of a sweet flavor than a cheese flavor.

Control Volume posted:

guys im going to eat some chicken breasts to day, and some carrots *smugly climbs the social status ladder as people bow to my superior eating habits*

Bad diet is pretty much directly correlated with poverty.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Keldoclock posted:

Bad diet is pretty much directly correlated with poverty.

it somewhat correlates for women but not at all for men

e: im going off of obesity rate here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Keldoclock posted:

Why don't you buy Soylent, then? It's almost exactly what you say, except more of a sweet flavor than a cheese flavor.

microwave dinners fill the same niche in a not insane way with stuff that isn't artificial vomit, and consequently are a real industry

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

but yeast has lots of B-vitamins

Alcohol interferes with the absorption and storage of thiamine and other B vitamins, so even though there's some thiamine in beer the human body can't use it efficiently.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thuryl posted:

That's some wicked poo poo. Eating a normal "healthy" American diet in addition to the beer prevents it though, right guys? I drink a lot of beer and eat fairly healthy so I hope I'm good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Dad, if that's you, I'm logged on and ready for video chat :peanut:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

adorai posted:

That's some wicked poo poo. Eating a normal "healthy" American diet in addition to the beer prevents it though, right guys? I drink a lot of beer and eat fairly healthy so I hope I'm good.

You mostly see it in people who are getting the majority of their daily calories from alcohol; thiamine is in enough different foods that it's hard to avoid unless you're eating a very limited diet or doing something that impairs your ability to absorb it (for example, consuming large amounts of alcohol with every single meal). It's a good idea to have at least two alcohol-free days per week, just as a general health thing.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Don't end up like this guy:

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=636442

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
At uni one of the lecturers told us about a guy who decided he would rather skimp on food that have to cut down on his beer money. So he bought huge bulk bags of oats and lived on nothing but porridge while he was at university.

He ended up getting hospitalised due to getting scurvy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Chas McGill posted:

Surely giving himself stupid chronic health problems is worse than changing his diet a bit?

I don't know this guy, so I can't say that his poor diet is the result of a psychiatric problem like depression, or picking up bad life skills as a kid, or because he's an idiot and loves having super horrible bowel movements. The way you're wording your updates about him suggests to me that you think that he's doing this willfully, which seems needlessly smug.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Chas McGill posted:

So, update on the guy. He came back to work today and told us that he'd had stomach pain and IBS symptoms, so he went to the doctor and he has to take medicine before he eats anything. He was also advised to change his diet, but he was moaning about what a pain that would be. Surely giving himself stupid chronic health problems is worse than changing his diet a bit?

Anyway, he started the change by having a cream of tomato soup sachet for lunch today. Apparently a sachet counts as a vegetable portion so I wonder if I'll see a change in his health if he makes the swap permanent. He commented about it being acidic so I expect he'll go back to the chicken salt water soon.

I feel vaguely sad for chicken soup guy. Quite probably, no-one ever taught him to try a wide variety of foods when he was tiny, or ever praised him for doing so. I remember not really liking the tomato taste when I was little, so maybe he can try some really bland, smooth vegetable soup. Batchelors do a packet potato and leek soup -- if he can't tackle instant vichyssoise, he's probably beyond help.

Most people would get nothing from vitamin supplements, but I wonder if he would be an exception, because while not obviously suffering from any particular deficiency syndrome, he must be bumping along on the bottom of the tank on a few micronutrients apart from vitamin C, especially the B complex. Has he got anything against those fruit chew or soluble sorts of supplements, at least for a bit? Is anything fruity too much of an ordeal? Can chicken soup guy be helped?

MikeCrotch posted:

At uni one of the lecturers told us about a guy who decided he would rather skimp on food that have to cut down on his beer money. So he bought huge bulk bags of oats and lived on nothing but porridge while he was at university.

He ended up getting hospitalised due to getting scurvy.

It could be true, but http://www.snopes.com/college/horrors/scurvy.asp

Less amusingly, a few years ago a boy of 8 really did die of scurvy, in the UK, in the 21st Century (the boy was homeschooled and it seems that literally no-one outside his immediate family had met him for some years prior to his death :smith: ). It's still not extinct, though usually the parents will take their child to hospital when they're clearly unwell, and be mortified by the diagnosis, which they genuinely hadn't considered. And happily, it's easily cured.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

cash crab posted:

I don't know this guy, so I can't say that his poor diet is the result of a psychiatric problem like depression, or picking up bad life skills as a kid, or because he's an idiot and loves having super horrible bowel movements. The way you're wording your updates about him suggests to me that you think that he's doing this willfully, which seems needlessly smug.
I don't mean to come across that way, but you're probably right that I haven't empathised with him enough. It's easy for me to look at and judge his behaviour without understanding the reasons behind it.

Carnival of Shrews posted:

I feel vaguely sad for chicken soup guy. Quite probably, no-one ever taught him to try a wide variety of foods when he was tiny, or ever praised him for doing so. I remember not really liking the tomato taste when I was little, so maybe he can try some really bland, smooth vegetable soup. Batchelors do a packet potato and leek soup -- if he can't tackle instant vichyssoise, he's probably beyond help.

Most people would get nothing from vitamin supplements, but I wonder if he would be an exception, because while not obviously suffering from any particular deficiency syndrome, he must be bumping along on the bottom of the tank on a few micronutrients apart from vitamin C, especially the B complex. Has he got anything against those fruit chew or soluble sorts of supplements, at least for a bit? Is anything fruity too much of an ordeal? Can chicken soup guy be helped?
I definitely think that he just picked up bad habits when he was younger and now he's finding it difficult to change. He had tomato soup again today, so hopefully that's the first step on the road to having a slightly more varied diet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I eat mostly total crap. I don't eat vegetables at all except potatoes and occasionally corn. I have never tried broccoli. I rarely eat any fruit. My diet is entirely almost entirely grains and meat. However I exercise like mad, martial arts and weightlifting and running 6 times a week. I'm 6'3 170 pounds. My blood pressure and cholesterol are very good according to my doctor. Where does this put me on the healthy/imminent death scale? I've always felt like I would be considerably more healthy if I adjusted my diet, but that seems like a lot of work for not that drastic of a change.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So I eat mostly total crap. I don't eat vegetables at all except potatoes and occasionally corn. I have never tried broccoli. I rarely eat any fruit. My diet is entirely almost entirely grains and meat. However I exercise like mad, martial arts and weightlifting and running 6 times a week. I'm 6'3 170 pounds. My blood pressure and cholesterol are very good according to my doctor. Where does this put me on the healthy/imminent death scale? I've always felt like I would be considerably more healthy if I adjusted my diet, but that seems like a lot of work for not that drastic of a change.

Unless you are perpetually constipated, you probably don't need to change much, assuming you're giving an honest appraisal of yourself.

You might be lacking a Vitamin A source, if you aren't eating oily fish (Sardines/Tuna/Salmon), or liver. You can get it from cheese as well, but you didn't mention dairy.

If you're really worried about missing some particular nutrient, you can solve it pretty easily. Buy a bunch of different leafy greens, and root vegetables, and cook them however you like. Then eat them. You don't need to eat very much, or carefully select them, just make you eat a variety and you'll be fine.

Those types of vegetables are so nutritious because they're where plants like to store all the crap they draw from the ground. Grains and fruit (And "fruit veggies"), only store a smaller selection of a plant's total nutrients. Instead, they're more energy-dense because they're intended to grow young plants.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Unless you are perpetually constipated, you probably don't need to change much, assuming you're giving an honest appraisal of yourself.

You might be lacking a Vitamin A source, if you aren't eating oily fish (Sardines/Tuna/Salmon), or liver. You can get it from cheese as well, but you didn't mention dairy.

Constipation has never been a problem, though I probably should eat more fiber. I never eat fish but I live in Japan so I probably should start doing that. I actually do drink a shitload of milk though, like a quart a day maybe. Is that enough?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Constipation has never been a problem, though I probably should eat more fiber. I never eat fish but I live in Japan so I probably should start doing that. I actually do drink a shitload of milk though, like a quart a day maybe. Is that enough?

Man, you don't want to miss out of Japanese seafood. Everything is amazing.

Milk is commonly fortified with vitamins/minerals, especially in Asia. Since it's also pretty awesome on its own, you're probably getting quite a lot from it.

All in all, being healthy enough to work out all the time says that you're not missing something critical. But vegetables are cool and good, and there's a lot of variety in them. Japanese cuisine has a lot of different vegetable dishes to try, so there's no harm in asking somebody to teach you how to make some.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Genuine question: how is eating tasty food equal to "a lot of work"? Do you mean that you have to get used to eating different food or something? Why? If I try new food and it's tasty, it's tasty instantly, without any work involved.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Living on a diet of meat, potatoes, bread and milk in Japan of all places sounds really expensive and bizarre. Like, the country is famed for their fish and vegetables.

Anyway you'll probably be fine. Although long term, high levels of eating processed meat has been suggested as being pretty bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thuryl posted:

My great aunt died from this after being an alcoholic for...poo poo, about 50 years? Surprised her liver didn't die off first. It was really bizarre; I imagine it's like being the guy from Memento except that instead of forgetting things wholesale your brain invents false memories constantly that you wind up ardently believing in.

• Locked thread