Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Pollyanna posted:

Now I'm horrified enough not to use Teflon pans anymore. :gonk: I like cooking Asian fare as much as anyone else, but they need high heat, and I'm not willing to get Teflon chips in my food just because I set my electric burner to medium-high.

Then again, I don't understand how to properly set cooking temperatures anyway, so...

I don't either, but here's what I've learned.

It's not "set and forget" on a stovetop. Listen to the speed of the sizzle and adjust as often as you need to keep it right.

A slow sizzle is probably medium or medium low. A fast sizzle is medium high. A really rapid sizzle with light smoking is high. If there's a lot of smoke it's too high.

Quickest way to adjust the heat down is to take the pan completely off the element for a bit. Adjust and try again. I still do it wrong all the time. Also if you have thin, poor quality pans, you may never be able to manage heat levels properly.

Here are some videos.

https://youtu.be/_Ls2B0P8sXw

https://youtu.be/XokCISVqgjU

https://youtu.be/clVZ9t9rQZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Back to wok chat for a second:

Woks are amazing and you can do stuff with them that is almost impossible in other pans, but if you don't have a seriously high btu (at least 20k, but ideally 50k or more) burner they don't really shine. They take a bit to get used to, but on mega burners they're just a joy to use. Stir fries are effortless in them.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
On the subject of taste; I'm by far a picky eater, I've recently even had my first scrambled eggs with pig brains (which is great). But a few years ago, the place where I used to order Mexican food, changed their recipe to a more original one, I guess. One ingredient literally had me gagging, and I could never figure out what it was, since they didn't list anything new on the menu. I've had it a few times since, and as long as it isn't a direct bite, I can stomach it, but it still doesn't taste very good. Something like anise, with a sweet after taste. It just tastes very, well, wrong.

I've had this mystery ingredient a few times since, and it's the only thing to evoke a physical reaction.

Finally, through some random web comics, I've found out what it is: Cilantro.

I'm totally fine with eating everything; it might not be great, but hey, food. Cilantro, after more than 25 years of having no issues at all, is something I can apparently not stomach.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's disgusting

there's no loving way you've never had a dish with cilantro in it before though, there's a lot of disgusting people out there who love to ruin food

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Coriander (cilantro to America I guess) is one of god's gifts to mankind. It even smells delicious.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wasn't cilantro already covered in this thread? A minority of people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like hosed up soap. For the the rest of us, it is delicious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soap is delicious though

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wasn't cilantro already covered in this thread? A minority of people have a gene that makes cilantro taste like hosed up soap. For the the rest of us, it is delicious.

I'm one of those people who taste cilantro as soap, and I'm pretty unhappy about it. Ruined an otherwise lovely goat stew at an Indian restaurant. It sucks to have to muscle through your meal, and I hate how childish I feel about not liking it. Same thing with sea food--I keep trying it, and I keep hating it, and I honestly feel silly for not liking an entire group of protein.

Now I'm on the low-FODMAP diet, which means NO ONIONS OR GARLIC. Out of all the foods I can't eat right now (wheat, apples, mangoes, asparagus, peaches, honey, rye, cauliflower, beans, dairy, etc.), the onions and garlic are the hardest restriction. I love garlic so much, you guys, especially homemade garlic bread. I could eat garlic bread all day every day, especially with tomatoes, until it comes out of my pores. And there's garlic and/or onion in pretty much everything savory, so going out to eat is borderline-impossible.

The no wheat thing isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and learning to bake without it has been a fun challenge. The rolls I made today were a bust, but I think I know where I went wrong, so I'll give them another try. The gluten-free sugar cookies were a hit at work, though. (I'm actually not sensitive to gluten--the problem is the starches in wheat. So I conceivably could try making bread with wheat gluten and non-wheat flours, but I gotta do some research on that before trying to find wheat gluten and cobbling some recipes together.)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nobody survives OP, irrespective of how well they eat.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I'm one of those people who taste cilantro as soap, and I'm pretty unhappy about it. Ruined an otherwise lovely goat stew at an Indian restaurant. It sucks to have to muscle through your meal, and I hate how childish I feel about not liking it. Same thing with sea food--I keep trying it, and I keep hating it, and I honestly feel silly for not liking an entire group of protein.

Now I'm on the low-FODMAP diet, which means NO ONIONS OR GARLIC. Out of all the foods I can't eat right now (wheat, apples, mangoes, asparagus, peaches, honey, rye, cauliflower, beans, dairy, etc.), the onions and garlic are the hardest restriction. I love garlic so much, you guys, especially homemade garlic bread. I could eat garlic bread all day every day, especially with tomatoes, until it comes out of my pores. And there's garlic and/or onion in pretty much everything savory, so going out to eat is borderline-impossible.

The no wheat thing isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and learning to bake without it has been a fun challenge. The rolls I made today were a bust, but I think I know where I went wrong, so I'll give them another try. The gluten-free sugar cookies were a hit at work, though. (I'm actually not sensitive to gluten--the problem is the starches in wheat. So I conceivably could try making bread with wheat gluten and non-wheat flours, but I gotta do some research on that before trying to find wheat gluten and cobbling some recipes together.)

What is fodmap and why does it matter if you eat garlic?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi FODMAP buddy. My biggest problem with doing FODMAP is being really self-conscious people will think I'm one of those idiots who's avoiding gluten because of pseudoscience rather than as part of a larger actual doctor recommended diet. It was funny though because after years of gut problems I already avoided a bunch of foods that through trial and error I got an idea maybe made me feel bad. When I discovered FODMAP I realized it mostly matched up with the stuff I was already avoiding.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Squalid posted:

What is Google and why does it matter if you learn things?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been wondering if my new roommate's incredibly lovely diet has been keeping him in poor health. He eats Taco Bell at least 5 times/week, works at a pizza place so he can bring home a pizza every shift(which would be awesome but he literally just puts as many ingredients on as possible) and if he's not feeling either of those choices it's like nacho/mud dip or microwave burritos.

I've seen him cook pasta twice in the past month, and I did a double take.

His "insomnia" he believes is cured by basically eating himself into a food coma. :psyduck: I've tried like, nudging him towards a better diet/more healthy lifestyle but without me just flat out saying "dude I think you're giving yourself type 2 diabeetus at an alarming rate" I don't think he's going to listen.

Thank god this lovely winter is over so I can get back into my healthy ways. He definitely was an enabler into me eating like garbage for a few months.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Now I'm on the low-FODMAP diet, which means NO ONIONS OR GARLIC. Out of all the foods I can't eat right now (wheat, apples, mangoes, asparagus, peaches, honey, rye, cauliflower, beans, dairy, etc.)

Oh my god this sounds like hell why would anyone do this to themselves. :gonk:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Captain Bravo posted:

Because it's better than constant gastrointestinal pain.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Bravo posted:

The Ferret King posted:

What is Google and why does it matter if you learn things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Because it's better than constant gastrointestinal pain.

As someone who experiences near constant gastrointestinal pain from his diet I would disagree.

Yes sometimes I poo poo rocks and have stomachache a lot but gently caress you I like my goddamn bread and onions and poo poo.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone decides for themselves whether they'd rather eat what they want or have the shits/voms/pain. I added onions and garlic back in without too much of a hassle, but gently caress peaches forever, they don't taste good enough to be worth the suffering.

I was already off wheat and all its delicious friends (real beer, I miss you) so it was a little less of an adjustment for me.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Squalid posted:

FODMAP is an acronym for certain sugars that can be difficult for some people to digest. I'm on the low-FODMAP diet to treat a condition called Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), which is exactly what it sounds like. The small intestine isn't supposed to have a lot of bacteria in it, unlike the large intestine. I started getting sick a few months after starting birth control (a not-uncommon cause), and just went from there. It can be chronic, and often requires more than one round of antibiotics; sticking to the low-FODMAP diet helps starve the excess bacteria without loving up the large intestine's microbiome. Probiotics and certain herbal supplements also help (not Woo Science, I found information from The National Institute of Health), but maintaining a low-FODMAP diet is the most important part of treatment.

SIBO can be cured, though, so this isn't going to be for the rest of my life. If I'm still symptom-free in another month or two, I'll be able to start adding things back to my diet again. Garlic, onions, and wheat are the first ones on my list.

OwlFancier posted:

As someone who experiences near constant gastrointestinal pain from his diet I would disagree.

Yes sometimes I poo poo rocks and have stomachache a lot but gently caress you I like my goddamn bread and onions and poo poo.

If that's what floats your boat, go nuts. As for me, SIBO is too painful and time-consuming to tolerate. It's more than nausea or constipation: bloating, excess gas, heart burn, throwing up several times a day and then dry heaving for another five minutes after my stomach was empty (which loving hurts, especially when it happens daily). Plus SIBO can permanently gently caress up the digestive system, cause chronic constipation/diarrhea (which I don't have yet, and would to keep it that way), interfere with nutrient absorption, and possibly lead to chronic conditions like IBS. Since I started the low-FODMAP diet, my symptoms are pretty much gone. If sticking to this diet for a few months will spare me that sort of pain and inconvenience in the present and possibly in the future, then I'm absolutely going to do it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm not sure you guys quite grasp the purpose of ask/tell

That sounds really gross. One time I had really bad food poisoning or cholera or something like that and even after I started feeling better continued having horrible diarrhea for weeks afterwards. Doctor gave me some kind of powdered probiotic formula with the antibiotics which looked and smelled kind of like yeast packets. It was supposed to dissolve in water but it just kind of floated in a brown film on top. I got better in a few weeks though I'm not sure eating the live bacteria helped.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

What did the people you quoted say?

edit. It must seem like I'm singling you out but you keep posting badly.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tell me how people who post badly every day survive

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

Coriander (cilantro to America I guess) is one of god's gifts to mankind. It even smells delicious.

I don't think it's regional. I believe the seeds, stems, and refering to the plant as a whole is coriander, and the leaves, specifically as an herb, is cilantro.

Could be wrong though.

Also, you are also correct that it's got a delicious flavor and incredible smell.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

om nom nom posted:

I don't think it's regional. I believe the seeds, stems, and refering to the plant as a whole is coriander, and the leaves, specifically as an herb, is cilantro.

Could be wrong though.

Also, you are also correct that it's got a delicious flavor and incredible smell.

It's regional, I didn't know wtf herb Americans were talking about for years until I finally looked it up. Cilantro is the Spanish name, Americans call it that because Mexican food/people.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's cilantro to the US because that's what people call it in Spanish and the cuisine that uses it the most here comes from areas that are near Mexico. Nobody calls the Mexicans out on using the "weird" term for it though.

Edit.. Completely beaten.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

It's cilantro to the US because that's what people call it in Spanish and the cuisine that uses it the most here comes from areas that are near Mexico. Nobody calls the Mexicans out on using the "weird" term for it though.

Edit.. Completely beaten.

Do you call it cilantro seed or coriander seed? In Canada, the seeds are called coriander seeds and the leaves are called cilantro or, much less commonly, Chinese parsley.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah that sounds the same (though I've never heard Chinese Parsley used). The spice bottles of the seeds are labeled "coriander," according to my spice rack.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
At least in America, there used to be all kinds of non-foreign sounding names for foods. For instance, avocados used to be called "alligator pears" and pomegranates "Chinese apples".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

cheerfullydrab posted:

At least in America, there used to be all kinds of non-foreign sounding names for foods. For instance, avocados used to be called "alligator pears" and pomegranates "Chinese apples".

What the gently caress? Pomegranates are from the middle east and have been a part of european diets since before America was even a thing. :stare:

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Captain Bravo posted:

What the gently caress? Pomegranates are from the middle east and have been a part of european diets since before America was even a thing. :stare:

Apparently it's originally a British term, and it's used in Dutch for oranges, so it's not strictly an American ting. (I've never heard of the term "Chinese apples" before this thread, so I wouldn't pin this one on the Americans.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Apparently it's originally a British term, and it's used in Dutch for oranges, so it's not strictly an American ting. (I've never heard of the term "Chinese apples" before this thread, so I wouldn't pin this one on the Americans.)

I am American, and I have definitely heard more than one older American person use the term.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Well I mean, pomegranate is just "grenade apple" so it's not like the English term for it is any less dumb.

Even though grenade derives from pomegranate and not the other way around.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm the several people thinking about grenadine

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Jeza posted:

I'm the several people thinking about drinking grenadine

:v:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Do you call it cilantro seed or coriander seed? In Canada, the seeds are called coriander seeds and the leaves are called cilantro or, much less commonly, Chinese parsley.

I call the herb cilantro, and the seeds and plant coriander. Like whether it's coriander seed to be used as a spice or seeds in a greenhouse with a picture of a plant that you grow, it's coriander.

Edit: man if I didn't know what an avocado was and I was handed an "alligator pear", I'd probably take a big bite and be super pissed.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cheerfullydrab posted:

The term "avocado" comes from the Aztec word ahuacatl, which means "testicle." :eng101:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Isn't the apple thing because back in the day pretty much all fruit was called apple so you gotta differentiate somehow.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Pomegranates were called mala grenata in Latin, meaning "Apple with many seeds" so the French "pomegranate" is just the same.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm also told that there were no apples in the Middle East, so the forbidden fruit in Genesis was most likely actually a pomegranate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I know pomegranates as wineapples, but alligator pears is a great term I wish we had.

• Locked thread