Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Again, what are you supposed to cook on in that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Again, what are you supposed to cook on in that thing?

Just fry up dog roll. Makes shopping simple, doubles as food for the dog and you get the true retirement living experience.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Since I missed out on the image of the houseboat, could someone please indicate which picture most closely resembles it:

A

B

C

Thanks

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inept posted:

How many square feet of living space does that have anyway?
Stop dodging this question, OP. How big is the boat!

MRC - Its more like a cross between A and C!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I really dont get all the fears about fires burning down my boat. People do this year in year out without any issues. It's not like I'll be running gas fire lamps with cattle on board.

You were talking about leaving a propane heater running unattended for your dog.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

You were talking about leaving a propane heater running unattended for your dog.

Ah yes of course. I forgot that everyone turns their heater off at home whenever they leave the house. How foolish of me. Otherwise houses would be going up in flames left and right.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So is there an oven or something, or do you have to cook on a foreman or on a grill on the deck?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ah yes of course. I forgot that everyone turns their heater off at home whenever they leave the house. How foolish of me. Otherwise houses would be going up in flames left and right.
Many people who use portable kerosene and propane heaters do, in fact, burn their houses down every winter.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Great thread title change.

All I can think of is the boats lady from how I met your mother going "BOATS! BOATS! BOATS!" every time I read this thread.

I can only predict that you will be cold and your girlfriend will be leaving you. Sad times.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Have you watched "The Gang buys a Boat" as preparation for this adventure? You should. You know, because of the implication.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lyesh posted:

Many people who use portable kerosene and propane heaters do, in fact, burn their houses down every winter.

Yeah good thing I wouldnt be running a Mr.Buddy camp heater full time then. I'd be running something like this:
http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinson-newport-propane-fireplaces-p9000-cabin-heater.html

Have another source from a guy who has lived on a houseboat in winter, and by some miracle made it out alive to tell about it:
http://www.all-about-houseboats.com/houseboat-living-winter-heating.html

quote:

I lived aboard for 7 years, year around in Illinois. Great life, even in the dead of winter. I bought two LP catalytic built in heaters for my '40 RQ.

Pulled all the paneling and put in 2" styrofoam board in the walls and ceiling. Had an LP range already in when I bought the fine boat so I went from the usual 20# tanks to twin 30# tanks.

They would last about a month. I did have a third on hand and always kept a full one in the holders. Then you can pick and chose when you have to make the refill run.

Only time I had to use electric backup was the first winter when it got down to 20 below for two weeks with the highs only 10 below or zero.

As a retired professional firefighter and 10 year full time fire/arson investigator, I would NOT have a wood burning anything on my boat. Too many things can go wrong and could cost you your life.

I have read where some of the responses elsewhere have said LP or propane is dangerous on a boat. This is not so if properly installed using good copper tubing in conjunction with flared fittings for the copper. The copper tubing must be secured well if it runs though the bilge or walls so there is little to no vibrations in it.

If it is the atmosphere you are after with a wood burner, I would suggest a good quality electric fireplace. They come in many styles and sizes.

spwrozek posted:

Great thread title change.

All I can think of is the boats lady from how I met your mother going "BOATS! BOATS! BOATS!" every time I read this thread.

I can only predict that you will be cold and your girlfriend will be leaving you. Sad times.

All I can think of is how lame you and your gf must be for watching How I Met Your Mother willingly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Houses going up in flames left and right is exactly what used to happen before the advent of central heating. Space heaters are absolutely the second biggest fire risk in homes. Only surpassed by 'room full of candles, old newspapers, and lots of cats'.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
How much will the renovations on this boat cost to make it death proof?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

detectivemonkey posted:

How much will the renovations on this boat cost to make it death proof?

I'll be honest, I have no clue. I'd like to think I could get by with the onboard heat this winter. I know that I'll have to buy a couple of bubblers at around $300 a piece. I know that I'll have to get the boat shrink wrapped which is about $7-800. That should get me to this spring when I could really start renovating. I''ll need new marine grade flooring. I'd like to add in plenty of insulation and then I'll have to put up new walls. I have no idea what any of the materials for that will cost. I think I could do most of the work myself saving quite a bit on labor. Ballparking it, if I can get materials gently used or some scrap lets say $1000. But that could be on the low end.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You're getting all bitchy, but the fact is RV heaters suck rear end and are dangerous as poo poo. I remember back in the 90's when we had a travel trailer, carbon monoxide detectors were mandatory because those propane heaters kept killing people.

E: We used to travel from VAFB, CA up to coyote point marina in the SF bay every other weekend and stay on my Dad's Hunter 30(sailboat) and that was a cold, harsh thing to live on for just two days at a time. Also, gently caress pumping out blackwater tanks, gently caress they make the whole boat stink like poo poo. We'd end up just using the marina bathrooms just avoid having to deal with that. The travel trailer was much better, but a marine head is a completely different setup. So, get used to what amounts to using an outhouse now.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 5, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

All I can think of is how lame you and your gf must be for watching How I Met Your Mother willingly.

Lol, OK :rollseyes:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How do you plan on cooking in this flammable deathtrap of a hull?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'll be honest, I have no clue. I'd like to think I could get by with the onboard heat this winter. I know that I'll have to buy a couple of bubblers at around $300 a piece. I know that I'll have to get the boat shrink wrapped which is about $7-800. That should get me to this spring when I could really start renovating. I''ll need new marine grade flooring. I'd like to add in plenty of insulation and then I'll have to put up new walls. I have no idea what any of the materials for that will cost. I think I could do most of the work myself saving quite a bit on labor. Ballparking it, if I can get materials gently used or some scrap lets say $1000. But that could be on the low end.

Are you sure you're ever going to save money over just renting? I suppose if you actually stuck with this for multiple years the possibility exists, but your startup costs are looking to be pretty enormous, in both your time and $$$.

If you haven't already, try to be agnostic about the two choices and make a detailed, realistic cost comparison between the two. I know how I get when my heart is set on something and I tend to fudge the numbers to make things look more appealing than they really are, but this seems like an expensive endeavor.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know boats, here are some things that work well in trailers and RVs.

If that boat is gutted to the frame right now, spray foam insulation may be your best answer. You get about R19-21 insulation rating at 1" thickness. It's about twice as effective as 2" foam. About 79 cents fer square foot at 1" thickness, but most foam guys will insist on spraying no less than 2", which doubles the price. Make sure your windows are double pane and have thick curtains or roman shades that are flush with the surface. There is a track system that keeps them from moving. You're probably using paneling for your walls, get vinyl or cellular pvc instead of wood or particle based material.

Does 1 single heating furnace enough to cover multiple rooms?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Barry posted:

If you haven't already, try to be agnostic about the two choices and make a detailed, realistic cost comparison between the two. I know how I get when my heart is set on something and I tend to fudge the numbers to make things look more appealing than they really are, but this seems like an expensive endeavor.

By this Sunday I will try and post a side by side breakdown of monthly expenses and projected boat expenses to try and get a better idea of the numbers. So far the boat costs keep going down so I think it'll look a lot better than people seem to think.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why are you so convinced that your girlfriend is going to go through this ordeal with you? She already said she hated the idea and she's probably not going to just change her mind because it looks cool. And even if she decides to stick it out with you for a bit, she's going to resent you because of your stupid houseboat eventually. So basically you are going to have to choose between your houseboat and your girlfriend. Good luck!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mind_Taker posted:

choose between your houseboat and your girlfriend. Good luck!

Or both the houseboat and GF become burdens and they both end up at the bottom of a river.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This thread delivers, we have finally reached the point where the OP is starting to be combative. As far as insulation, the best cheap method I have seen is cutting Styrofoam smaller then the space between the joists and using the cans of spray foam to outline it to do a ghetto spray foam insulation job on the cheap. The advantage is I think this stuff makes a glorious flame if you can get it to ignite.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This sounds like an expensive, dangerous, and dumb way to force your girlfriend to dump you. Just sack up and tell her you want to break up.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A furnace is designed to work unattended. Very few people who warm their homes when they're not there are mind-bogglingly stupid enough to try to do it with a propane heater. The ones that do experience a phenomenon known as "increased risk of house fires." Please tell your insurance company when you're shopping for rates that you intend to leave a propane burner running for a loose dog on the boat and see what happens to your quote.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

How do you plan on cooking in this flammable deathtrap of a hull?

There is a small propane counter stove that needs to be setup. Also a microwave. It'd be nice to have an oven but I can live without that.

Mind_Taker posted:

Why are you so convinced that your girlfriend is going to go through this ordeal with you?

Well we dont live together now so she wont have to deal with it all the time as it is. Only when she wants to stay over.

kazmeyer posted:

A furnace is designed to work unattended. Very few people who warm their homes when they're not there are mind-bogglingly stupid enough to try to do it with a propane heater. The ones that do experience a phenomenon known as "increased risk of house fires." Please tell your insurance company when you're shopping for rates that you intend to leave a propane burner running for a loose dog on the boat and see what happens to your quote.

I honestly dont get the great furnace boat burn panic in this thread. People do this all the time in RV's and houseboats without any issues at all. And actually I'm waiting on hearing back from an insurance company now on some more detailed quotes so that I have some better numbers to work with.

I have to say though seeing the boat up close and personal this past week really makes me want to dive in that much more. It was pretty cool on board. Like having your own personal cabin! Hopefully I can secure financing soon and get the ball rolling.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You could get a real cabin.

Honestly I fully support you. Have a blast man. I bought a house so I could remodel it so I get the allure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

spwrozek posted:

You could get a real cabin.

Honestly I fully support you. Have a blast man. I bought a house so I could remodel it so I get the allure.
High five house project buddy!

kazmeyer posted:

He linked an actual furnace that burns propane. Looks about as safe as the one in my, and possibly your house. It will have a fresh air intake and a chimney. He's not talking about portable open flame heaters.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well we dont live together now so she wont have to deal with it all the time as it is. Only when she wants to stay over.

The only thing you've said is that she thinks it's a terrible idea and that you aren't being reasonable. She's not going to want to spend the night on a god drat houseboat in the middle of the winter surrounded by bums in different houseboats.

Like everyone else said: if you want to have your adventure, great! You sound like you are still young and you don't have kids or anything, so you aren't hurting anyone else. But don't expect your girlfriend to be your girlfriend much longer.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'll be honest, I have no clue.
This would be thread title material if we didn't just get a new one

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is there a reason you have to buy the boat now instead of next spring or early summer? Couldn't you just find a 6-month rental somewhere and save yourself the hassle of half-assing your winter preparations?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You can stop now OP. I understand the I already said I'd do it so I'm doing it mentality, but most people won't tut tut you for backing down from a bad idea.

Now if you wanted to go sailing around the world on a great adventure cool do that, but a house boat on the river just seems dumb unless you set sail for NOLA to escape every winter. Cause that's what I would do.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Your boat looks awesome OP and I'm sure it'll come in handy as a gigantic pussy magnet when your girlfriend inevitably peaces out.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

bulkheads and deckheads ... the crawl space or bulkheads
It's probably good information, but difficult to accept from someone who puffs up their chest about their experience and qualifications, only to mix basic terminology. Or is this a case that since it's a houseboat, house specific and boat specific terms are interchangeable?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have no clue.
I don't think you realise how true this is.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Are you going to look at any houseboats - or just boats that have some sort of interior living space. Couldn't you just find a little month to month room rental in the winter, and live on the boat during the not arctic time of year?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
That romantic feeling when you're heating up hot pockets on top of your space heater for you and the misses on your boat shack

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BaseballPCHiker posted:

By this Sunday I will try and post a side by side breakdown of monthly expenses and projected boat expenses to try and get a better idea of the numbers. So far the boat costs keep going down so I think it'll look a lot better than people seem to think.

super stoked to not see a m&r line in the boat side expenses

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

super stoked to not see a m&r line in the boat side expenses

He won't have to worry about m&r when he is no longer in a relationship. I'm sure that saves more money!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
$700-$800 to wrap the boat? That's a yearly thing I'm assuming? You're going to blow what is basically the equivalent of a months rent on wrapping your boat each winter. It sounds to me like the price of heating your boat is astronomical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
op won't be posting anymore as he's been overcome by CO from portable propane heater combustion

• Locked thread