Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just make more money and live on this thing. Problem solved.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-CUSTOM-50-Houseboat-101801838

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Just make more money and live on this thing. Problem solved.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-CUSTOM-50-Houseboat-101801838

At least you don't have to shrink wrap it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Half a mill for that shed on a floating platform. Thats a good deal.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Some minor differences in risk when comparing insuring a house vs a houseboat with zero maintenance budget:
If a pipe breaks, or you get a small crack in the wall of your house, the house doesn't end up literally under water, with a drowned fool and his dog inside.
If a drunk guest exits your property in the wrong direction, oops, they're now trespassing in your neighbor's yard. If they do the same thing from your houseboat: oops, they're now drowning.

Also, you can pump water out of your basement worry free, should you find your basement flooding. Not exactly the same case with a boat

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well than I guess I should provide an "update". I haven't gotten anywhere with these drat bankers and insurers. At one point I thought I had a fixer upper steel hulled boat lined up. But I couldn't get insurance. AT ALL. I thought I had a chance getting insurance on it through my small business as a business policy but they turned it down after questioning me on my boating experience and skills, despite me telling them a million times that it would be just docked at the marina %90 of the time.
Have you considered asking these insurers and banks to give more details on why you get turned down/bad rates/etc for your dream boat? It's probably not because of an evil banking conspiracy that pushes cars and houses over boats. Insurance companies are pretty damned good at determining who's a good risk and who's a bad risk.

Also, here's some boating skills that might come in handy for a mostly-stationary boat:

-Knowing how to not die if the boat sinks, if you fall overboard, if poo poo catches on fire, etc. This includes helping other people on your boat avoid death.
-Basic boat maintenence & spotting common boat problems before they turn into big problems.
-Being able to handle your boat enough to safely dock it, undock it, and move it around for supplies/waste disposal.
-Knowledge of boating laws & regulations.

You may not agree with it, but there are reasons an insurer would want to see at least a little bit of boating experience.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmpQrIiDPk

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I haven't seen you post in any of the boating threads that I linked to on the forum yet.

Nor have you responded to the ~$800 wrap every year at least doubling your assumption of monthly heating costs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I haven't seen you post in any of the boating threads that I linked to on the forum yet.

Nor have you responded to the ~$800 wrap every year at least doubling your assumption of monthly heating costs.

You are such a negative nancy. Issues get solved as you figure them out, obviously boats are cheaper and obviously issues just get fixed when they come up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can we group buy some life insurance on the OP since we all now have an insurable interest in this thread continuing? Seems like a good investment.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Elephanthead posted:

Can we group buy some life insurance on the OP since we all now have an insurable interest in this thread continuing? Seems like a good investment.

I am looking forward to his girlfriend dumping him for a guy with a real house.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Or a guy with a larger dinghy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Breetai posted:

Wile E Coyote, with a puzzled expression, stands directly under the precariously balanced boulder, wondering why the tripwire didn't cause it to fall. With a look of grim determination on his face, he picks up the long wooden pole and begins to poke at it.

Perfect.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I request an update on your :sureboat: quest

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I request an update on your :sureboat: quest

Not much to update unfortunately. I talked to another lender and they were willing to offer me a personal loan for enough money to get a fiberglass boat but it was at %11 APR so I said hell no. Right now my only option in my mind at least is using my bonus that I get in April and put that towards a boat. That way I'll either be able to afford a larger down payment or just buy a really lovely houseboat outright.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

just buy a really lovely houseboat outright.

This one please.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Just build your own boat dude, the savings will be immense.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Maybe the bankers would take you seriously if you put the percentage sign after the number. 110% interest is the best I would offer you.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

OP: do you have a state issued boater safety card yet?

Still waiting for an answer. It may hold the key to some of your insurance woes.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I have a sinking feeling that the lenders think your plan doesn't hold water. That your income won't keep you afloat. Other puns

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not much to update unfortunately. I talked to another lender and they were willing to offer me a personal loan for enough money to get a fiberglass boat but it was at %11 APR so I said hell no. Right now my only option in my mind at least is using my bonus that I get in April and put that towards a boat. That way I'll either be able to afford a larger down payment or just buy a really lovely houseboat outright.

Why aren't you just trying to rent a houseboat? I forget.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

n8r posted:

Why aren't you just trying to rent a houseboat? I forget.

Oh sure, THROW money away! Yeah, right.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
That 11 percent interest will eat up p much all of your Salty Sea Wench budget imho

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

oxsnard posted:

That 11 percent interest will eat up p much all of your Salty Sea Wench budget imho

OP have you considered what you'll do if you get attacked by Minnesotan pirates??

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Still waiting for an answer. It may hold the key to some of your insurance woes.

No. I have no idea what a state safety boater card is or why I need it. If it helps with the insurance issue than I am all for it. This whole boat debacle has really been bringing me down lately. It shouldnt be this hard to get a loan for a boat. If I wanted to buy a stupid impractical car I could be out scooting around already. The boats I'm looking at are cheaper than a lot of cars even. I have heard that there are some companies out there that do house boat type mortgages. Hopefully after the holidays I can get in touch with them. A 15 year loan on a houseboat would be dirt cheap. I'd be saving even more money then

SarutosZero posted:

OP have you considered what you'll do if you get attacked by Minnesotan pirates??

I have a dog who I will train to knock intruders overboard into the icy river. Also they will have to break my plastic boat wrap barrier.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No. I have no idea what a state safety boater card is or why I need it. If it helps with the insurance issue than I am all for it. This whole boat debacle has really been bringing me down lately. It shouldnt be this hard to get a loan for a boat. If I wanted to buy a stupid impractical car I could be out scooting around already. The boats I'm looking at are cheaper than a lot of cars even. I have heard that there are some companies out there that do house boat type mortgages. Hopefully after the holidays I can get in touch with them. A 15 year loan on a houseboat would be dirt cheap. I'd be saving even more money then

I have a dog who I will train to knock intruders overboard into the icy river. Also they will have to break my plastic boat wrap barrier.

I think the problem is house boats are not cars. It's a different type of vehicle with different risks and a far smaller market - so most lenders don't even bother with them. The lenders that do make those loans know they're the only lenders that make those loans so they have more leverage in getting the terms they want.

It's probably more difficult getting a RV loan than a car loan as well.

And LOL the fact you were told you needed a state safety boater card and still have no idea what that is.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/boatwater/education.html

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boaters courses are typically only required for 12-17 year olds. I am pretty sure that is the case in MN. It may get you an insurance discount, like a defensive driving course. It is most likely not a requirement though.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Boaters courses are typically only required for 12-17 year olds. I am pretty sure that is the case in MN. It may get you an insurance discount, like a defensive driving course. It is most likely not a requirement though.

If you're gonna live on a boat it might be a good idea to have taken a safety course regardless of the requirements. But paying for one would cut into the savings!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Do barnacles grow in sub arctic lakes?

Bad news, you'll have to clean them off in the summer.

Good news, you can punish mutineers by keelhauling them

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Why do you need to take a boat safety class when nobody takes a house safety class. It's just a house on water instead of a house on a secured foundation.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Ha, I didn't know it was a youth thing in Minnesota. In Washington state it's for anyone operating a boat over a certain horsepower. It's good knowledge to have. Right of way, fire safety equipment, required lights, all that stuff. There's more required equipment than you would expect.

I often dream about live aboard life but the larger floating homes in Seattle are as expensive as regular houses and the wife and cats would mutiny on a sailboat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
candy rear end OP going to banks and credit unions instead of paying the iron price

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrKatharsis posted:

Ha, I didn't know it was a youth thing in Minnesota. In Washington state it's for anyone operating a boat over a certain horsepower. It's good knowledge to have. Right of way, fire safety equipment, required lights, all that stuff. There's more required equipment than you would expect.

I often dream about live aboard life but the larger floating homes in Seattle are as expensive as regular houses and the wife and cats would mutiny on a sailboat.
That's because Washington has water ways worth traveling on - and they go to the ocean ;) Much better than some lovely lake in MN. (I realize MN has a water way that goes to the ocean, but it takes a lot of states to get to.)

I'm still confused by the OP. Why isn't he looking at a proper sailboat? They are more practical and way nicer than any of the shitboats he's been posting thus far.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 8, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

candy rear end OP going to banks and credit unions instead of paying the iron price

Ahhh ha ha ha ha. Favorite part of this thread.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

OP have you considered asking your GF to cosign a boat loan

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SarutosZero posted:

OP have you considered asking your GF to cosign a boat loan

That's puting the cart before the horse there getting the anchor like that.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It shouldnt be this hard to get a loan for a boat. If I wanted to buy a stupid impractical car I could be out scooting around already. The boats I'm looking at are cheaper than a lot of cars even. I have heard that there are some companies out there that do house boat type mortgages. Hopefully after the holidays I can get in touch with them. A 15 year loan on a houseboat would be dirt cheap. I'd be saving even more money then

You know the first two thoughts the workers at the bank have when they see a request to get a loan for a 20 year old house boat are: sunk coast, and under water.

This is the only way. Mods please change baseballPChikers name to reek until he buys a boat.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 8, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What is dead may never die

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

car loans are easy to get because if they have to repo it there's a market for it. who the gently caress wants to buy a houseboat?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

baram. posted:

car loans are easy to get because if they have to repo it there's a market for it. who the gently caress wants to buy a houseboat?
The OP :allears: But he doesn't want it enough to reasonably shop around for a loan or insurance, or look for a decent house boat. I bet it's easier to insure and finance a proper boat like a Beneteau 37~45', and its a way better yacht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

The OP :allears: But he doesn't want it enough to reasonably shop around for a loan or insurance, or look for a decent house boat. I bet it's easier to insure and finance a proper boat like a Beneteau 37~45', and its a way better yacht.

Goddamn, a '07 Beneteau 45 costs as much as my condo. Guessing frozen houseboat guy won't be able to swing that.

• Locked thread