Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
the idea of self-driving cars is becoming more and more popular seemingly every day, with manufacturers and outside companies like google trying to make the best ones they possibly can

this is all really cool and whatnot but i don't want self-driving cars for one basic reason

i loving love driving cars.

cars are really cool and driving them can be extremely fun if you're not sitting in some lovely little minivan towing around three screaming children and a spouse that probably hates you. for example, i had the pleasure of driving a friend of a friend's maserati granturismo around a local racetrack earlier this year, and it was the most fun i've had in ages. i don't want the ability to drive and race fun, fast cars to disappear :smith:

what do goons think about self-driving cars? good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm scared shitless of driving so this is a good idea

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Chinese people should be forced to use self driving cars.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Mad Monk posted:

:agreed:

also old people and people who are really, really lovely at driving

but people who are good at driving (yours truly :smug:) should be allowed to keep their regular cool guy cars

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I have to agree, I love driving. But if self driving cars would mean less room for human error, and therefore less accidents I'm willing to sacrifice that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like to drive motorcycles

cars are for dweebs

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Self driving cars are good and will make rush hour much more efficient and easy to build roads for.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I like to drive motorcycles

cars are for dweebs

you don't drive a motorcycle, you ride it.

who's the dweeb now?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
op is right

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Helpimscared posted:

I have to agree, I love driving. But if self driving cars would mean less room for human error, and therefore less accidents I'm willing to sacrifice that.

i don't want lovely braindead idiot drivers and 90 year olds to ruin it for me, if that happens there is no justice in this world

the obvious solution is to not let retards drive their own cars, make a computer do it for them because they're obviously not mature and/or intelligent enough to handle it themselves

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm piloting my motorbike

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Automation is the future.

in ten years your automated car will drive you from your automated job to your automated home where your automated wife has made you automated dinner.

Embrace the future.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

in ten years your automated car will drive you from your automated job to your automated home where your automated wife has made you automated dinner.

Embrace the future.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

People tend to just be really scared of change, I imagine what you feel right now is similar to what people who really liked riding horses felt like back when cars were first introduced. Besides, you'll probably still be allowed to drive your car, but people will make fun of you for not plugging into the Matrix like all the cool kids.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

kikkelivelho posted:

Embrace the future.

it's time to automate your posts

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i dont think a self-driving car could figure out the weird driveway configuration of the drive-through starbucks by my house

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Worldshatter posted:

People tend to just be really scared of change, I imagine what you feel right now is similar to what people who really liked riding horses felt like back when cars were first introduced. Besides, you'll probably still be allowed to drive your car, but people will make fun of you for not plugging into the Matrix like all the cool kids.

it's not that i'm scared, i think the technology is really cool and has some great applications. i just don't want it to become the de facto standard and phase out manually operated vehicles for eternity.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
You can look forward to massive premiums for not having an insurer-approved AI car

driving is dying, long live the cyclist

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

You can look forward to massive premiums for not having an insurer-approved AI car

driving is dying, long live the cyclist

if i can keep my car i will gladly pay

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Ideally this would only apply to people under 20 and over 65 but lol nope

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We already have trains moron.

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
Driving is by far the most dangerous thing you will do in your day to day life. So many people die in car accidents every year.

If they actually figure out self driving cars, and you are still so selfish that you still want to drive and have a %chance of killing someone, then that is insane. Go to a raceway if you want to manually drive, it will become a novelty.

Even pilots who have been flying for 40 years still have the occasional human error, no matter how good you are at something there is always that moment you have to sneeze, or god forbid have a heart attack.

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
Driving at night... that feeling, it's so chill.. even more than netflix !

Pls no self-driving cars

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I think my main concern would actually just be that I would probably be really bored in the car.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Something awful forums, 2035:

Highly intelligent shitpost bots roam the forums, procedurally generating mountains of garbage post.

welcome to the future where humans....

need not post.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Helpimscared posted:

I think my main concern would actually just be that I would probably be really bored in the car.
road head will never be easier though

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

deep impact on vhs posted:

you don't drive a motorcycle, you ride it.

who's the dweeb now?

or does the motorcycle ride you?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

think about this

if you live in a big city and love driving cars

driving a car in a city sucks if you love driving cars

driving a car in a city sucks if you hate driving cars

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

if i can keep my car i will gladly pay

Self-driving car insurance will cost the same as regular insurance does now, and manual car insurance will go up approximately 10,000%

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Yall desperate to do computer stuff on your commute anyway, why not just give up on the driving altogether and watch some MLP instead??

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

We already have trains moron.

Why build tracks everywhere if you can use existing road infrastructure AND still force every worker to purchase a small part of the train :911:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Has anyone noticed that technology is mostly just making everything gayer

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I'm sure you'll still be able to drive go-karts or some other dumb poo poo to so who cares. Cars are boring as gently caress. If I can get drunk while my car drives me to a place where I can get more drunk that would be wonderful.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

OlmanRiver posted:

Driving is by far the most dangerous thing you will do in your day to day life. So many people die in car accidents every year.

If they actually figure out self driving cars, and you are still so selfish that you still want to drive and have a %chance of killing someone, then that is insane. Go to a raceway if you want to manually drive, it will become a novelty.

Even pilots who have been flying for 40 years still have the occasional human error, no matter how good you are at something there is always that moment you have to sneeze, or god forbid have a heart attack.

if you lose control of your car over a sneeze you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place

i sneeze while driving all the time (even on the freeway!) and i've never been in an accident or even come close to one as a result

endurance racing drivers spend multiple hours in their cars, and i'm sure they have to sneeze now and again, but i've never heard of a crash in motorsport that resulted from a sneeze

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
replace all roads with railways imo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

replace all roads with railways imo

that's just what the autists want

don't give in

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

that's just what the autists want

don't give in

i thought autists wanted suction tubes

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

i thought autists wanted suction tubes

autistic people love trains

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i can not wait for hooper toob

convert all old resource pipelines to hypertubes

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Mad Monk posted:

:agreed:

also old people and people who are really, really lovely at driving
also women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qzjdH46gY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4TIWECZ30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I agree OP. Self driving cars are cool and all but what happens when the day comes when the self driving cars say 'no more'?

• Locked thread