Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do like driving but only when it is VERY LIGHT traffic conditions. Other people just ruin the experience immediately.

Helps to not drive a shitbox I guess haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah because if the server goes down they have no back ups or anything. The servers are also all hooked up to the open internet for *movie reasons* so hackers can somehow tunnel in and gain control. If one vehicle is compromised it somehow overrides the other 1000 cars nearby all providing sensor info and all the street sensors and poo poo too and GTA hackers are just gonna RUN AMOK!

If the vehicle fails to get central traffic input it just slams into the car in front of it; no automatic braking or anything!

Meanwhile chucklefuck causes a 100 car pile up on the 5 but whatever that's just the cost of manually driving.

dude, if a car is hooked up to a central server it has to upload and download data in some form; unless we're inventing some entirely new perfectly secure paradigm of computing as well it'll be 1s and 0s beamed wirelessly to the server, and where that exists, the possibility of transmitting exploitable code exists. no software is ever going to be perfectly secure at either end.

and your scenario has the server controlling every car in an elaborate dance so I fail to see how a hacker who is able to find a way to get in could not find a way to subvert it, or at least start confusing the system enough to raise havoc

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
ITT we argue about how poo poo that hasn't happened, is going to happen and how it happens to get hosed, without actually happening.

Where is Marky Mark?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

dude, if a car is hooked up to a central server it has to upload and download data in some form; unless we're inventing some entirely new perfectly secure paradigm of computing as well it'll be 1s and 0s beamed wirelessly to the server, and where that exists, the possibility of transmitting exploitable code exists. no software is ever going to be perfectly secure at either end.

and your scenario has the server controlling every car in an elaborate dance so I fail to see how a hacker who is able to find a way to get in could not find a way to subvert it, or at least start confusing the system enough to raise havoc

Idk man what prevents people today from hacking in and loving with the traffic signals? Nothing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I just find it appealing that when I'm a 70 year old man with no kids or close friends I'll still be able to get around even though I'm too old to be driving. Bring on the robot cars.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

notZaar posted:

I just find it appealing that when I'm a 70 year old man with no kids or close friends I'll still be able to get around even though I'm too old to be driving. Bring on the robot cars.

Old age won't be a thing in 2 decades. Another blow to the self-driving car.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ma i married a tuna posted:

Half of the resistance to self-driving cars is all about the 50s myth that cars mean FREEDOM and getting laid in the back seat and your parents don't even need to know. But that's bullshit. And people like the OP are like, why would I want to give up the pleasure of driving a bespoke italian supercar on a racetrack. But that's not the issue at all.

Almost all of the driving people do is awful, and they're awful at it. It's sitting in traffic dropping off kids at school in Honda CRV. Going to a strip mall in a rotting Chevy. Hauling lumber in a lovely pickup. That's the driving people are overwhelmingly doing - slow, predictable, boring, and semiskilled at best. It's so boring and low-demand that lots of people jazz it up - by playing on their phones, or turning it into a weird zero-sum game of aggression to save 4 minutes on their 2 hour commute. Cars are places where we waste our time.

Who can claim with a straight face that they love driving so much that they want to relish the typical experience - driving a lovely econobox early in the morning, or tired from work, through a graceless suburb or office park through stop-go traffic. We need machines to do that, and we need them yesterday. The machines don't even need to be very good, because the advantage of not having a cell phone, or noticing kids in the back seat, or being disappointed with how their life turned out will put them miles ahead of human drivers by default.

I hope your self driving car kills you

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Idk man what prevents people today from hacking in and loving with the traffic signals? Nothing.

because centralized networks controlling traffic signals are themselves relatively new and rare; New York has one but it only apparently controls 7,000 out of 12,000 lights. as well, that's a self-contained network which is probably run exclusively through hard wires; so it could be hacked but it would require someone to break into hardware to do so; it'd have to be a determined and coordinated attack. even if such an attack succeeds, people can still choose to ignore the signals as well. self-driving cars would be over the air and exchanging data with the central server, so it would be more accessible to anyone trying to wreak havoc

this is all not to say a central server system would be impossible but making it into a central point of failure is inviting catastrophe

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 2, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
But like what are you gonna do? Spoof sensor data about a car which would cause it to crash? What happens when the other 50-100 cars near it all go 'nope that's erroneous data' and the street sensors go 'nope that's erroneous data?'

You'd have to compromise every single sensor in the area at that moment in time. And since cars are obviously moving constantly you'd have to be able to compromise all sensors in a given area nearly instantly and then somehow feed data that makes sense to the server which will somehow override basic rulesets and cause the cars to swerve and crash.

At worst it seems like you'd cause an emergency stop to all traffic in the area, which is annoying but not fatal or dangerous really. Presumably it'd be easy to track who did it and throw a felony on them and not many people will be doing it just for kicks.

I know the NSA and the military has equipment that allows encrypted communication over the air that will continually update the keys so you're also talking about hacking thousands of sensors encrypted with 128 bit protection that rotates and then do it in like 15 seconds. End to end encryption cracking isn't something a home hobby hacker person is going to be able to gently caress with and you'd presumably have to have physical access to the vehicle to get the key out of its computer.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 2, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
There is also the human factor of "HOLY poo poo! My car has gone rogue!"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

There is also the human factor of "HOLY poo poo! My car has gone rogue!"

spergdroids itt are talking about banning any form of driver override whatsoever or making it prohibitively expensive

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

spergdroids itt are talking about banning any form of driver override whatsoever or making it prohibitively expensive

Well that's dumb I don't agree with that. If you're getting in a moving 2 ton death box you shouldn't ever be totally devoid of any control whatsoever unless you're like on a plane or something obviously. Even trains have emergency stops.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I do like driving but only when it is VERY LIGHT traffic conditions. Other people just ruin the experience immediately.

Helps to not drive a shitbox I guess haha.

Basically this. Imo driving on less popular highways and freeways between two smaller cities is a pretty enjoyable experience. Driving around town during traffic is pretty meh though admittedly.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well it's not like we have free will anyway. gently caress the e-stop then! YOLO!

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

The Google car hasn't crashed once. Compare that to the tens of thousands of innocents who die in traffic accidents every year. The complete removal of human control is the correct choice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kikkelivelho posted:

Old age won't be a thing in 2 decades. Another blow to the self-driving car.

actually we're all hosed, the next 5-20 years they're allll gonna reverse mortgage their house (this part is already happening) to fund life extension therapies (this is about to), die at 120 and leave their kids nothing. the enormous geriatric care bubble will pop and millions of people will be out of work because there are no more 100 year old asses to wipe. oh and doctors will become accustomed to people desperately throwing cash at them to eke out a few more miserable months so even after the boomers die all the millenials that had kids are gonna pay $170,000 for a wrist fracture b/c dying boomers made every doctor from genprac on up a millionaire. you're not even going to get the loving house when dad dies because he sold it back to the bank for acai injections or whatever

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

Well it's not like we have free will anyway. gently caress the e-stop then! YOLO!

I will curse your name as my Googlzoncar goes sailing off the highway overpass during the 2053 spoof attack on the Union Highway System by Neo-ISIS

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

actually we're all hosed, the next 5-20 years they're allll gonna reverse mortgage their house (this part is already happening) to fund life extension therapies (this is about to), die at 120 and leave their kids nothing. the enormous geriatric care bubble will pop and millions of people will be out of work because there are no more 100 year old asses to wipe. oh and doctors will become accustomed to people desperately throwing cash at them to eke out a few more miserable months so even after the boomers die all the millenials that had kids are gonna pay $170,000 for a wrist fracture b/c dying boomers made every doctor from genprac on up a millionaire. you're not even going to get the loving house when dad dies because he sold it back to the bank for acai injections or whatever

You are still caught in an outdated capitalist mode of thought. Old age, employment and personal responsibility are old concepts with no place in the post-singularity world. in the future, when something goes wrong with your life it's Google's fault, not yours. Loans will not exist since all citizens are part of a government mandated basic income system that allows everyone to live their lives as they see fit. Society's work, both mental and physical, are performed by highly advanced computers and droids.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Problem: Drivers cannot pay attention and cause accidents because they can't stop updating Facebook or playing Angry Birds

Solution: Make the smartphone into a car running on Android but only push updates until the GoogleCar 2 comes out, three months later.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Google's entire automotive division is ran from top to bottom by the guys who had a cool older brother who got dad's Fastback Mustang and a box of condoms for his 16th birthday. While they got an abacus on their 16th.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I do enough driving that involves going on farmers fields, trails and unmarked paths into construction sites in my pickup that all this self driving malarky is going to be an impossibility for me.

Itll probably be OK for all you dickless white collar urban fuckfaces thogh. Enjoy your lovely self driving Fisher Price wagons.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I'm excited for all the impotent road rage we'll see. Steaming little hamsters shaking around in their boxes, unable to do anything.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I do enough driving that involves going on farmers fields, trails and unmarked paths into construction sites in my pickup that all this self driving malarky is going to be an impossibility for me.

Itll probably be OK for all you dickless white collar urban fuckfaces thogh. Enjoy your lovely self driving Fisher Price wagons.

lol if you didn't go to college to work in a cubicle farm for 40 years until you die. Sounds like you didn't plan your life right.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

"Working class hero"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One thing that'll be nice is as long as I can hold out and keep my manual cat I'll be able to go a ton of places that are now completely inaccessible by the public at large because their car can't go anywhere that Google hasn't mapped out.

After that I guess I'll buy a dirt bike or ATV.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

One thing that'll be nice is as long as I can hold out and keep my manual cat I'll be able to go a ton of places that are now completely inaccessible by the public at large because their car can't go anywhere that Google hasn't mapped out.

Oh what are these things at the end of my legs? Google! Help me!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

EvilJoven posted:

it's already begun :negative:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

ma i married a tuna posted:

Half of the resistance to self-driving cars is all about the 50s myth that cars mean FREEDOM and getting laid in the back seat and your parents don't even need to know. But that's bullshit. And people like the OP are like, why would I want to give up the pleasure of driving a bespoke italian supercar on a racetrack. But that's not the issue at all.

Almost all of the driving people do is awful, and they're awful at it. It's sitting in traffic dropping off kids at school in Honda CRV. Going to a strip mall in a rotting Chevy. Hauling lumber in a lovely pickup. That's the driving people are overwhelmingly doing - slow, predictable, boring, and semiskilled at best. It's so boring and low-demand that lots of people jazz it up - by playing on their phones, or turning it into a weird zero-sum game of aggression to save 4 minutes on their 2 hour commute. Cars are places where we waste our time.

Who can claim with a straight face that they love driving so much that they want to relish the typical experience - driving a lovely econobox early in the morning, or tired from work, through a graceless suburb or office park through stop-go traffic. We need machines to do that, and we need them yesterday. The machines don't even need to be very good, because the advantage of not having a cell phone, or noticing kids in the back seat, or being disappointed with how their life turned out will put them miles ahead of human drivers by default.

you can buy a car that's not a cr-v or rotting chevy hth

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

EvilJoven posted:

Fear and denial are natural reactions to the automated future. With time however you can rise above these base emotions and realize that you are not defined by your work or your ability to steer a multi ton vehicle.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Oh what are these things at the end of my legs? Google! Help me!

Hiking is fun as gently caress but I'm not about to hump my gear 10 miles back into the bush. Hike in campers are weird they all sleep in tents the size of coffins and eat nothing but trail mix and bannock all weekend and don't even bring coffee or booze.

I bet their camping shits are like passing polished rocks.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

you can buy a car that's not a cr-v or rotting chevy hth

check your privilege Daddy war bucks

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Hiking is fun as gently caress but I'm not about to hump my gear 10 miles back into the bush. Hike in campers are weird they all sleep in tents the size of coffins and eat nothing but trail mix and bannock all weekend and don't even bring coffee or booze.

I bet their camping shits are like passing polished rocks.

You are one enormous, gaping vagina.

Which, coincidentally, is who I normally see driving those comically over sized trucks, after the divorce, of course.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

"self driving cars are for pussies" :smug:

*drives car with automatic transmission, power steering and full suite of drive assists*

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax

kikkelivelho posted:

"self driving cars are for pussies" :smug:

*drives car with automatic transmission, power steering and full suite of drive assists*

Wha

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Eventual widespread use of self-driving vehicles is looking more and more inevitable every day.

You might as well stop acting like loving babies and accept it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
There's no rule against being completely hosed up on like GHB or heroin in the passenger seat of a car though.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

What happens if you're puttering along in your self-driving car and you feel a major bout of the shits coming on, but the car only ever drives the speed limit? Do you just try your best to not poo poo yourself?

I also assume that these cars will be sealed from outside tampering, which probably means things like bent tie-rods or any kind of preventative maintenance or repairs will be relegated to qualified professionals. But I guess preventative maintenance in this case would be like installing CCleaner to get rid of your car's registry errors.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dr. Wang posted:

What happens if you're puttering along in your self-driving car and you feel a major bout of the shits coming on, but the car only ever drives the speed limit? Do you just try your best to not poo poo yourself?

I also assume that these cars will be sealed from outside tampering, which probably means things like bent tie-rods or any kind of preventative maintenance or repairs will be relegated to qualified professionals. But I guess preventative maintenance in this case would be like installing CCleaner to get rid of your car's registry errors.
I hope that personal car ownership goes away too. There's no reason every individual needs to own a car that spends 90%+ of the time sitting in one spot not moving. You just call for one when you need one and that's it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

Eventual widespread use of self-driving vehicles is looking more and more inevitable every day.

You might as well stop acting like loving babies and accept it.

You can watch VR porn on the way to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope that personal car ownership goes away too. There's no reason every individual needs to own a car that spends 90%+ of the time sitting in one spot not moving. You just call for one when you need one and that's it.

Yeah, but what if you're gonna have diarrhea?

• Locked thread