Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There is literally nothing to do in Wisconsin except stupid redneck poo poo like fishing, hunting and drinking.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

notZaar posted:

There is literally nothing to do in Wisconsin except stupid redneck poo poo like fishing, hunting and drinking.

try being a man and doing those things

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Try having at least an ounce of intellect and self respect.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

how can you have an ounce of intellect dummy? maybe you should be the one to smarten up old boy

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

twinziez!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcrzoSgQMxI

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Just moved to Ohio from the east coast and I love it. It's still a populated area around Columbus but it does beat the over priced, over populated DC area. It's not like I'm worried about "stuff to do" because I'm buried in debt!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thread makin' me want to make another Des Moines thread with that kind of talk.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
You know what's great about Iowa?

Neither does anybody else.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The tank really screams merry christmas

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

The tank really screams merry christmas

I wanna say it has a little "wind up key" on the back of it, but I can't recall.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've lived in SD most of my life and I'll offer a hearty lol @ wall drug

naem
May 29, 2011

interwhat posted:

Just moved to Ohio from the east coast and I love it. It's still a populated area around Columbus but it does beat the over priced, over populated DC area. It's not like I'm worried about "stuff to do" because I'm buried in debt!

:911:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

XVIII posted:

Does Peoria still smell like grilled cheese?

PokeJoe posted:

You mean the ethanol plant smell? Yes last time I was there.

I worked downtown overnights and once when I was working alone I heard a weird muffled thump and the entire room depressurized for an instant. I thought it was just my mind messing with me. A few minutes later the security guard (the only other person in the building at the time) came in and told me there had been an explosion at the ethanol factory.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Light Gun Man posted:

I wanna say it has a little "wind up key" on the back of it, but I can't recall.

It looks like the poo poo above it is a Death Star pokemon trying to abduct it, Defender alien style.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

5er posted:

It looks like the poo poo above it is a Death Star pokemon trying to abduct it, Defender alien style.

that one is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purple_People_Eater

the blue part in it's mouth is a pair of human legs that flail around

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've lived in SD most of my life and I'll offer a hearty lol @ wall drug

Everyone I know who's been there says the cafe served them mediocre, overpriced food.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

overpriced????

the coffee is 5 cents and the ice water is free!!!

!!!

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

check out this dank pillow

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

Most of my family is from East Peoria and I spent most of my childhood in smaller towns east of there. I suppose there are worse places to live, but yeah, it's a fairly depressing place sometimes. Especially Morton, what the gently caress is up with that loving place.

On the other hand though, Steak n Shake.

Morton is my little connection to the Midwest. I've been suckling at Caterpillars rancid teat for almost 18 years now. I've turned down many opportunities to go visit Caterpillars main distribution facility in Morton because everybody I know that's been there has come back and said that it was the closest thing to a purgatory that exists on this earth. A nothing place.

I also know first hand that some of the laziest, lovely people are from there. The work I see from there is so unbelievably horrible. Literally lovely too. I've encountered actual human feces on trailers coming from Morton.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Morton is my little connection to the Midwest. I've been suckling at Caterpillars rancid teat for almost 18 years now. I've turned down many opportunities to go visit Caterpillars main distribution facility in Morton because everybody I know that's been there has come back and said that it was the closest thing to a purgatory that exists on this earth. A nothing place.

I also know first hand that some of the laziest, lovely people are from there. The work I see from there is so unbelievably horrible. Literally lovely too. I've encountered actual human feces on trailers coming from Morton.

I went to high school there. Everyone in the area is either poor/lower middle class (potentially decent people) or middle class with a credit card who pretends to be rich (i knew maybe one dude in this category who was cool) and they end up in the same school so you get this really stupid 80s-movie-style poors vs wannabe-rich strata going on. Lots of people who "go to church" so they "know they are better than you" and "can just ask God for forgiveness"-style morality mixed in there too. It's basically a nightmare, yeah. It's like a whole town high on their own farts. Pretty sure I've been pulled over there for Driving While Poor. Most people I know from then have thankfully moved the gently caress out of there, to at least Peoria if not several states away.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

I went to high school there. Everyone in the area is either poor/lower middle class (potentially decent people) or middle class with a credit card who pretends to be rich (i knew maybe one dude in this category who was cool) and they end up in the same school so you get this really stupid 80s-movie-style poors vs wannabe-rich strata going on. Lots of people who "go to church" so they "know they are better than you" and "can just ask God for forgiveness"-style morality mixed in there too. It's basically a nightmare, yeah. It's like a whole town high on their own farts. Pretty sure I've been pulled over there for Driving While Poor. Most people I know from then have thankfully moved the gently caress out of there, to at least Peoria if not several states away.

I'm sure there's some fine folks there. It's just the ones that load the trailers bound for the warehouse I work at that are complete shitheels. I wasn't kidding about the poo poo either. There was literally a turd on the back of the trailer. Nobody noticed it at first and it got run over by a forklift. Let me tell you, nothing smells quite as terrible as a 3 day old turd that's been rolled out 20 feet long by a forklift tire. I've also found plastic bags full of piss taped to the sides of trucks too.

Theres a ton of total wastes at my warehouse in Pennsylvania too so I guess Caterpillar just sort of attracts them. I believe it's because they don't want anyone TOO good because then they'll actually last long enough to earn benefits, vacation time and decent pay. CAT has a long and awful history of union busting bullshit. Aside from that, I've never known any of my co-workers to actually poo poo or piss into an outbound truck so it must be an Illinois thing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm sure there's some fine folks there. It's just the ones that load the trailers bound for the warehouse I work at that are complete shitheels. I wasn't kidding about the poo poo either. There was literally a turd on the back of the trailer. Nobody noticed it at first and it got run over by a forklift. Let me tell you, nothing smells quite as terrible as a 3 day old turd that's been rolled out 20 feet long by a forklift tire. I've also found plastic bags full of piss taped to the sides of trucks too.

Theres a ton of total wastes at my warehouse in Pennsylvania too so I guess Caterpillar just sort of attracts them. I believe it's because they don't want anyone TOO good because then they'll actually last long enough to earn benefits, vacation time and decent pay. CAT has a long and awful history of union busting bullshit. Aside from that, I've never known any of my co-workers to actually poo poo or piss into an outbound truck so it must be an Illinois thing.

I can believe those are things Morton people would have done, easily. I also can somewhat confirm the stuff about Cat not wanting actually good people. A friend of mine does semi-high-level tech stuff there and he's always bitching about how they go through a cycle of hiring outsourced support, realizing it sucks, replacing them with locals, realizing that costs too much, repeat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

so we're just supposed to know and understand the deal with the "free ice water" bullshit?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

wall drug exists as the irony of somehow being world famous for being the middle of nowhere

Matey posted:

overpriced????

the coffee is 5 cents and the ice water is free!!!

!!!

that cowboy got some serious squat game. no wonder the slavs lost world war 3

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

hell yeah pimp

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

I can believe those are things Morton people would have done, easily. I also can somewhat confirm the stuff about Cat not wanting actually good people. A friend of mine does semi-high-level tech stuff there and he's always bitching about how they go through a cycle of hiring outsourced support, realizing it sucks, replacing them with locals, realizing that costs too much, repeat.

Seems to be par for the course as far as corporations are concerned. Even at the lowest end of the spectrum. Using temp agency labor with little intention of hiring folks, and the union requiring dues from those people and offering nothing in return. If you ever want to be depressed by a story of union greed and corporate fuckery take a look at what happened in York PA with CAT and the UAW in the late 80's and early 90's. Its still affecting me personally to this day. Nothing to do with the Midwest specifically aside from CAT being an institution in those Illinois towns.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://vid.me/5WoZ

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

notZaar posted:

drinking is a redneck thing now? lmfao

also you're dumb as gently caress if you think these are sincere and not ironic

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Everyone knows wall drug plays up the kitsch game hard Brad :thejoke:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

interwhat posted:

Well lots of people are migrating to no so ideal cities since all the big name cities in the US are really overpriced now esp. in terms of housing costs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I love the Wal Drug signs that are 5 states away and are like "Wal Drug This Way ----> 700 miles"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fyodor posted:

so we're just supposed to know and understand the deal with the "free ice water" bullshit?

It was a big deal decades ago when families would go on summer vacations in cars with no A/C.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VectorSigma posted:

wall drug exists as the irony of somehow being world famous for being the middle of nowhere

sounds like a lamer, even more whitebread, low rent south of the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

My grandma would say "iced" water as if the very concept was new fangled

• Locked thread