Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I've never tried Locomotion before, but I've played TTD off and on since my childhood. It's still a fantastic time sink after all these years, and the modding community has been quite creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Robhol posted:

Is that why I've never been able to turn a profit in OTTD? Every now and then I try to play that game and I always go bankrupt within a year or two because the short lines I make always lose money. If you're actually supposed to start with lines that are as long as possible rather than as short as possible then that seems like really poor game design for how unintuitive it is.

The pro open strat in OTTD is to create passenger tram service in the busiest town (streetcars have higher startup cost than buses but are more cost-effective in my experience). That will create a profit stream while you take out enough loans to connect a productive coal mine to a faraway power plant. Preferably there's several other coal mines in the vicinity that can later be branched to. Once you've got that stuff going for you, it won't be long before you pay off your debt, and once that happens, you're basically printing money. Then you can get into the real meat of the game, building elaborate rail networks to transport passengers and goods at maximum revenue without everyone dying in a fireball or getting stuck.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I see they never really did fix train pathfinding between Tycoon and this game. At least in OTTD they modded in nice features like better signals, and waypoints to help prevent trains from getting so lost.

I suppose you could make a waypoint of your own, if it's possible to make a 1 tile station on the correct track for each train, and then create "non-stop via" orders. As long as no train actually stops at the station, it should never generate cargo. I don't know if that's possible in Locomotion but that was what you used to do in Tycoon before waypoints were invented.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So creating a dual-track layout will fix some of that pathfinding, right?

You would think, but in my experience that can just compound the pathfinding issues. If a train is getting lost on a single rail, it's probably still going to get lost on a dual rail, unless you get creative and design the junctions such that there's no possible way it can stray down the wrong track.

edit: sorry, I should add the disclaimer that "my experience" refers to Transport Tycoon and not Locomotion. However, the two games do seem to have equally bad train AI.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Poil posted:

I've never really had much problems with train pathfinding in OpenTT though. :shrug:

I'm not totally sure, but I think in OTTD the pathfinding was recoded to be a little better. The addition of improved signals helps a great deal, too. I definitely remember pathfinding being terrible in the original game, although my cognitive abilities as a 10 year old being weaker than they are now, I probably wasn't building optimal railroads :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
That's some unfortunate design. Big depots are not just the most efficient way to run large networks in OTTD, they're also arguably the most fun to design and observe. When done right, you can have a steady stream of trains coming and going, and it's basically a license to print money as long as you can keep the feeder ratings high.

OTTD tracks separate quantities so your station inventory will say, for example, "6 tons of coal from Mine Y, 20 tons of coal from Mine Z," and so on. The oldest stuff gets picked up first automatically. You can also set trains to "Transfer Cargo w/o Loading" and they'll drop their cargo at a station that normally wouldn't accept the cargo. The credit is counted towards your eventual delivery of the cargo to its final destination.

Oh, one other thing, as far as I know, the thing about assigning orders is not new to Locomotion. There's several different shortcuts in Transport Tycoon. Does Locomotion have order sharing? What I mean is, placing a group of vehicles under shared orders, so that changing one vehicle's orders changes the whole group's.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should give OpenTTD a try one of these days, though the better track options in Locomotion might have spoiled it for you. If I could just have OpenTTD with Locomotion's better track system, I'd just be in love. Too bad Sawyer (or Atari?) wouldn't let fans modify Locomotion like Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Given what OpenTTD is like, just Imagine what OpenLocomo could've been. :allears:

Keep wanting to dig into the scenario, but at the same time I want to sit and wait to see what you do!

The graphics really are quite lovely. That's my only hangup about TT, the limitations of the graphics. It's nice for nostalgia, but having smooth curves and more interesting landscapes would go a long way towards my enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Are tunnels and bridges against the rules? Seems like there's at least one easily brute-forced route if you make judicious use of terrain ignorance :v:

• Locked thread