Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

It hasn't gone full PKD until someone's reaching for a can of Ubik.

Trudy is loving an as-yet-unseen brother of hers and tripping on inter-dimensional acid while surfing the VR sex-net. She unknowingly rats on herself to the Japanese police but then she wakes up in a Rekall facility and remembers that the real enemies are space aliens that can be defeated by a magic wand she had when she was a child. The rest of the series is written on an two week long amphetamine bender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Frank is an android and finds out he is unwittingly reenacting stories from the Bible after a late-night encounter at a gas station. Hitler avoids assassination attempts by using an envelope full of trinkets mailed to him by himself.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What an incredibly slow show that has so little pay-off until the last 20 or so minutes, reminded me of Sense8 in that way but here the pay-off was at least better.

I did have it on mainly as background noise while doing other stuff so probably missed a ton of things.

1x10
Loved that Hitler was using the resistance to get tapes to him so that he could change his fate into a different destiny. Weird though that he was focused on ones from the end of the war still and not something closer to the now and from a more similar timeline. Maybe he can teleport to the other timeline too or to other ones, who knows.

Frank being the one that can craft the teleport trinkets is weird and I have no idea where they're going with it, like do you need a high woo factor or some poo poo? IDK, weird, dragged out and no real reward yet, guess if they do a season two we might get some pay-off in the last 10 mins of the last episode.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just watched episode 10. I liked the series, it took a different approach to some parts then I thought it would (based on the book which I read after the pilot came out in Jan) but I enjoyed the production values, the cast was great and almost always engaging.
The pace is slower but I loved how it seemed like a 10 hour movie, with each episode picking up right after the last ended. It could have been one 10 hour movie and it'd still work, although you'd only get to see the great title scene once if that were the case.

cenotaph posted:

Or Fanta ads.
Coca-cola pulled this ad campaign in March this year, so yeah...
http://consumerist.com/2015/03/03/coca-cola-pulls-fanta-ad-suggesting-nazi-germany-was-good-old-times/

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
(1x10)I've been skipping around on it since I'm always impatient, but I like most of what I've seen. Hitler's stash of like 100 newsreels in his high castle was a nice touch, as was him having such a hold over people that he could talk a guy out of killing him. And extra kudos to the show for creating a world where we want Hitler to live because it means that the entire west coast of the U.S. doesn't get blown up. That's a drat tricky thing to pull off.

The worst moment so far for me was Frank's sister and her kids dying, though I still have lots to catch and that's probably trumped later. It's messed up because they probably would have killed them anyway even if he'd told them what he knew, but just the casual nature of the Japanese authorities after the fact. "We found out too late, but you're off the hook. We're not monsters! :xd:" So messed up. It made me feel bad for letting my general love for Japanese culture shine through when we had our first shots in San Francisco and I was like, well this isn't so bad.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
1x01
I just wanted to share that the moment Joe got on one of the public telephones with the swastika prominently displayed, me and my boyfriend immediately joked that they were "Nazi phone for nazi business." So the reveal that he was a nazi spy was entirely undercut by us having that joke confirmed as fact.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Binge watched 7 episodes of this yesterday and only stopped because it was 4 am. Really liking it. I read the book years ago and I think most of the changes they've made work really well for television.

The high point, for me, is the amazing job the show does at building its world - it really feels like a realistic alternate history. The scenes in the suburban neighborhood where Smith lives are really effective - it's disturbingly similar to our world, but with just enough Nazi to make the paranoia and danger of the fascist state come to life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

my bony fealty posted:

The scenes in the suburban neighborhood where Smith lives are really effective - it's disturbingly similar to our world, but with just enough Nazi to make the paranoia and danger of the fascist state come to life.

But why is there jazz playing in Nazi territory?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Platystemon posted:

But why is there jazz playing in Nazi territory?
Maybe it's a neighborhood with a lot of Italian fascists?

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
Does anyone have a translation for the I-ching questions that The Trade Minister writes down during each session?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

1X01 and a little into 1x02:

Early on so maybe things are yet to be revealed but have I missed something, or is Juliana behaving awfully casually for someone that just witnessed her sister get shot and had to flee the country, leaving her boyfriend that she was all loved up with behind in the knowledge that the Nazis will certainly capture and interrogate him because of his connection to her and her sister? She's flirting with the other main guy, enjoying the view and generally settling in and getting a job. She just doesn't seem too gutted about the recent turn of events and it's making me think I've misunderstood her relationship with her family and boyfriend.

Or is all of that an act on her part so as not to arouse suspicion? If so it's a really really convincing act!

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013

Cactus posted:

1X01 and a little into 1x02:

Early on so maybe things are yet to be revealed but have I missed something, or is Juliana behaving awfully casually for someone that just witnessed her sister get shot and had to flee the country, leaving her boyfriend that she was all loved up with behind in the knowledge that the Nazis will certainly capture and interrogate him because of his connection to her and her sister? She's flirting with the other main guy, enjoying the view and generally settling in and getting a job. She just doesn't seem too gutted about the recent turn of events and it's making me think I've misunderstood her relationship with her family and boyfriend.

Or is all of that an act on her part so as not to arouse suspicion? If so it's a really really convincing act!

I think it was fairly clear in the book (and I know the book and the show are not the same thing) that she was mentally ill, schizophrenic if I remember correctly.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ekkerates posted:

I think it was fairly clear in the book (and I know the book and the show are not the same thing) that she was mentally ill, schizophrenic if I remember correctly.

Ah ok I must have missed that, I'll continue watching with that in mind, thanks. (haven't read the book)

Edit: Oh god this is a PKdick thing isn't it, I think I have a suspicion where this whole thing might be going in light of that knowledge......

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I watched the pilot when it first came out, so I'm sure I've forgotten some details. But iirc when she leaves it's not clear they've established she has to do with her sister's death or the film? She also doesn't have much choice about settling down for now, since she has zero money.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Well, if it's like the book, maybe next season Juliana will realize that her world in The Man in the High Castle is not real and achieve gnostic transcendence or whatever

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm on episode 7 and find the series to be a bit slow, often meandering, populated by characters I don't feel invested in. I'm going to stick it out for the remainder of the season, but I want to know if the show comes to a satisfying conclusion or does it end on a cliff hanger? If it's the latter I think I might sit this one out.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm on episode 7 and find the series to be a bit slow, often meandering, populated by characters I don't feel invested in. I'm going to stick it out for the remainder of the season, but I want to know if the show comes to a satisfying conclusion or does it end on a cliff hanger? If it's the latter I think I might sit this one out.

Nothing is resolved and it has a hum dinger final scene. Cliff hanger? It could be viewed as either a cliff hanger or a season finale if it gets cancelled.

Also I loving loved the series. What an awesome production. I am certainly on board for more.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Holyshoot posted:

With all this talk of the guy with the burn marks possibly from our time line and the finale being what it was. This show is going to turn into a Lost type series isn't it? :smith:

I wouldn't mind a "Lost done right" show. Lost was actually quite popular and good right up until everyone realized the show runners had no actual idea where the story was going.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
By far the best show I've watched since House of Cards S1. I watched the entire season today and was gripped the whole time and couldn't help myself but to watch the next episode. I found the finale quite satisfying and look forward to season 2.

Also the intro is perfect.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 26, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm just glad Shang Tsung found some work finally.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Loved this show. Just finished episode 10. My thought on how much I liked some of the characters:

I really liked Inspector Kido, Mr Togomi, Frank, John Smith, Lemuel, Juliana, and the antique guy. He had my favorite bit where he said something like "Ok anxiety passed, my greed has returned unabated." My favorite people are a toss up between Frank, Inspector Kido, and John Smith. Kido has such a classic loving look. The round glasses.

Didn't so much care for Burn Gorman's sneering bounty hunter, DJ Qualls, or Joe Blake, who has the dopiest loving face I've ever seen. Kido's second was also a bit iffy. I thought a lot of the other secondary characters did a great job like Frank's sister (which was upsetting & well done), the Yakuzas, Wegener, & the resistance lady. Never read the book, though I'll probably change that now that the seasons done.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 26, 2015

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Finished the season. I thought it had a great atmosphere, but suffered from a cast of uninteresting characters, a meandering story line and low-stakes throughout.

I reliably enjoyed scenes with Obergruppenführer Smith and the antiques dealer. By the halfway point I had given up on the idea that anyone would ever do anything interesting, or act apart from their very predictable and rote motivations.

It wasn't for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah, I was all in after 2 episodes but fell off the train during the 3rd. I've read the spoilers in this thread and the ending seems interesting enough that I might watch ep 10.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I regret the 10 hours I put into this. Slow and unsatisfying.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

pr0p posted:

I found it very satisfying, it was a great series and well deserved of a second season

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pr0p posted:

Should have fingered yourself while watching it then... 10 hours is too long to be bored and have unused fingers.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

currently watching ep. 5. was looking forward to some crazy alt history tv show. not sure why I'm still watching. acting bad, low production value, writing eh. pfft. gently caress. nothing else on tv.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

mike12345 posted:

currently watching ep. 5. was looking forward to some crazy alt history tv show. not sure why I'm still watching. acting bad, low production value, writing eh. pfft. gently caress. nothing else on tv.

There is a lot I disliked about this series, but the production values were top notch: I'm not sure what you would find acceptable. It blew Netflix's most recent attempt out of the water in terms of looks and is equivalent to an HBO prestige production in that arena.

I have no idea what they were going for with Joe Blake but whatever it was they missed badly. If he had been killed, however, the show would have totally redeemed itself he is the worst loving character. All of the cast aside from Frink, Blake, and McCarthy were great and I won't fault Crain's actor for getting stuck with two screen black holes.

I don't know if is worth a season 2 or where they would go with it, but pacing is a serious problem that infects everything else about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The worst character is Ed McCarthy. This is non‐negotiable.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The worst character is Ed McCarthy. This is non‐negotiable.

yeah, he was terrible too, but we don't see that much of him. Also lol at how contrived the attempted pistol destruction was. Like, there are no deep bodies of water in SF, or sewers or whatever; no, gotta melt it likes it's the terminator

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Finished the series and I am pretty disappointed. The show is very different from the book, and that's a good thing which made me want to see where they were taking things. Unfortunately they didn't change the thing I disliked about the book and the show too.

In the book they mention alot the I Ching a lot and the trade minister does use it to guide himself. Well after I finished the book and I looked for the meaning of it and I found that the author used the I Ching to write the book and determine what happened. He rolled the dice on ideas. So at the end of the book Juliana meets the man in the high castle she slips in and out of her reality and ours, as does Tagomi. And really that's a poo poo end to the book because its like taking any movie or book you've read and changing the ending to 'it was all a dream' or 'a wizard did it'. It makes everything that happened worthless (except wizard of oz where its fine I guess). There are no answers to any questions and the questions don't matter, because it was all a fevered dream or whatever. Maybe if they do a second season they will make it about the collisions of reality or something, but as it stands now it's a show about nothing and not in a good Seinfeld kind of way.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

1x10: It seems they also drawn some ideas from Ubik. All prominent characters in this universe are the ones that died before the point of divergence: Hitler and Goebbels committed suicide in 1945, while Haydrich was shot in 1942. Tagomi's assistant has burn scars and lived in Nagasaki. The historical figures who lived beyond 1945 are dead or conspicuously absent: Stalin is mentioned to have been executed, Churchill and Roosevelt aren't even mentioned. The Crown Prince is definitely not Akihito - he would still have been a teenager in 1961.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

some of the goddamn dialogue is awful and a lot of the acting is just hamfisted, like i can't tell if it's trying to be noir or realistic or what, but i'm interested enough in the premise to keep along. and there's something about the way it's shot that really annoys me.

only a few more episodes to go...

also: what's with the japanese guy relying on a chinese oracle? what's the historical basis for that? did the japanese really do that? i know the emperor was a god, but i'm not sure how religious/mythical they went

also, also, i thought the man who played the antiques dealer played data from star trek until looking it up now.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 27, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I figured it all out, regarding the importance of the films. Read only if you've finished episode 10.

Hitler is gathering the films, but he's not actually interested in any of the news reels or war footage. He is only really after the ones that are popular movies, which he then recreates starring himself and using the limited filming tech of his time. That's fine until he gets to modern age films like the Matrix and terminator series. By doing this he is able to make Berlin a new Hollywood and the center of the movie making industry. He is also the highest awarded actor of all time.

His live action version of Toy story is actually well received but his confusing interpretation of saving Private Ryan is universally panned.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 27, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gantolandon posted:

1x10: It seems they also drawn some ideas from Ubik. All prominent characters in this universe are the ones that died before the point of divergence: Hitler and Goebbels committed suicide in 1945, while Haydrich was shot in 1942. Tagomi's assistant has burn scars and lived in Nagasaki. The historical figures who lived beyond 1945 are dead or conspicuously absent: Stalin is mentioned to have been executed, Churchill and Roosevelt aren't even mentioned. The Crown Prince is definitely not Akihito - he would still have been a teenager in 1961.

Book spoiler the EVENT that changes the timeline is the assassination of Roosevelt in 1933, I think it was Gangsters who did it? its been a while since i read it. So of course he wouldn't mention. It's also likely that Churchill was not PM long enough to make any impact because I assume Operation Sea Lion went ahead as planned following the invasion of France.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Roosevelt is mentioned by Childan when he shows the two Zippo lighters to Frink, one of which was on Roosevelt during the assassination.
As far as I remember this scene is taken straight from the book as are most of the better scenes in the series. Everything with Childan in particular is great since he's almost untouched from his portrayal in the book. Great choice of an actor there.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Quote is not edit :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm binging on the series and Episode 6 is like a melodramatic speed bump, I hope it gets better going into the final 3 episodes

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Two episodes in. No comment on the plot, just wanted to +1 the greatness of the intro. Love the paratroopers falling like tears down the faces of Mt. Rushmore.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

also: what's with the japanese guy relying on a chinese oracle? what's the historical basis for that? did the japanese really do that? i know the emperor was a god, but i'm not sure how religious/mythical they went

Japan stole borrowed* many aspects of Chinese culture up to and including their entire writing system, so it's not really a leap at all for Tagomi to be consulting it. Also, they wouldn't be the only country in East Asia to use it, those 4 groups of broken bars on the South Korean flag are from the I Ching as well.

*Fun story from my past: I was taking first semester Mandarin in university and the prof was a mainland Chinese woman (who had lived in Australia since like 1989). On the first day of class she was asking if anyone knew where Japan had gotten their writing system, so I raised my hand and said they'd borrowed it from China, which she replied instantly "No, they stole it!", totally deadpan. Two of the students in the class were Japanese. I actually tried to look up whether it'd been smuggled out or gifted or whatever and wasn't able to find a satisfactory answer, but I guess it's not like they're giving it back anytime soon...

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 28, 2015

• Locked thread