Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So for some reason, after abadoning ship after episode 3, I decided to actually finish the season.

Am I correct in assuming that when Tagomi meditates and sees the peaceful United States in the last scene, that's supposed to represent a change in the future from the 2nd film (the one where the Nazis nuke the West Coast) because Wegener didn't kill Hitler and Juliana saved Joe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Josh Lyman posted:

So for some reason, after abadoning ship after episode 3, I decided to actually finish the season.

Am I correct in assuming that when Tagomi meditates and sees the peaceful United States in the last scene, that's supposed to represent a change in the future from the 2nd film (the one where the Nazis nuke the West Coast) because Wegener didn't kill Hitler and Juliana saved Joe?

No, he is literally in our timeline - the newspapers and signs are talking about the Cuban missile crisis. The only possibility is that he is in another dimensional reality

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Abel Wingnut posted:

some of the goddamn dialogue is awful and a lot of the acting is just hamfisted, like i can't tell if it's trying to be noir or realistic or what, but i'm interested enough in the premise to keep along. and there's something about the way it's shot that really annoys me.

only a few more episodes to go...

yeah that's how I felt as well. I don't think I'll recommend it to anyone. Too slow, and not really rewarding. It was ok as background noise to video games.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Just binged watched this and was completely blown away by it. By far the most gripping series since True Detective Season 1 for me. Enjoyed the complex plot; especially in that it wasn't spelled out for retards. The visuals are amazing. I especially liked the setting in the Neutral Zone during the first half of the show. Performances are solid. I admit, I did laugh when John Smith came back into his office and told his assistant to alert the police about the suicide.

10/10 would recommend.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Immortan posted:

Enjoyed the complex plot; especially in that it wasn't spelled out for retards.

Reminds me of when the South Park characters wrote The Poop that took a Pee and everyone is going on about its hidden meanings and subtle messages when it was just random stuff that they strung together.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah this show isn't deep, it's all surface level poo poo

I just finished the last couple episodes and they didn't pull up from the dip that started after Episode 4, the show just sort of meandered and I began to dread the scenes with Joe, Frank, and Juliana. To be honest the entire thing felt like a Network show Cargo Culting as an HBO: great concept, original, but let down by the writing and acting

The main characters should have been Mr Tagomi and the Inspector, they are wayyy more interesting than White Love Triangle

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm a huge Weird War II alt-history nerd and I'm super-stoked to start watching this series, I'm just finishing up Jessica Jones first. I read the book several years ago and liked it, and I'm really glad we've gotten an adaptation of it.

If any of you have seen my posts in the Wolfenstein thread in Games, you'll know that I've got a completely goddamn ridiculous collection of Weird War II poo poo - pretty much anything that's ever been published on the subject.

If any of you are hankering for more books similar to 'The Man in the High Castle', there's two that immediately come to mind, 'The Ultimate Solution' by Eric Norden, and 'The Divide' by William Overgard. They're both more or less about home life in a High Castle-esque world where the Nazis/Japanese have joint control over the USA with a Cold War brewing in the background. The former is more of a noir detective story, and the latter is more of a typical Hollywood action story, and they're both pretty fun reads.

I posted up my "library" in the Wolfenstein thread here, but I could repost it in this thread if there's interest.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

I wouldn't mind a "Lost done right" show. Lost was actually quite popular and good right up until everyone realized the show runners had no actual idea where the story was going.

Catching up on the spoiler text after finishing, The Leftovers Season 2 is a million times better than the first season and is a much better, refined version of LOST (you just have to invest 10 hours into Season 1 for the payoff, but I promise you it isn't one of those cases where goons say "It gets better, you just have to get through x and it turns out that it doesn't get better)!

Also, if you aren't familiar, it's by the creator/writer of LOST

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Xenomrph posted:

I'm a huge Weird War II alt-history nerd and I'm super-stoked to start watching this series, I'm just finishing up Jessica Jones first. I read the book several years ago and liked it, and I'm really glad we've gotten an adaptation of it.

If any of you have seen my posts in the Wolfenstein thread in Games, you'll know that I've got a completely goddamn ridiculous collection of Weird War II poo poo - pretty much anything that's ever been published on the subject.

If any of you are hankering for more books similar to 'The Man in the High Castle', there's two that immediately come to mind, 'The Ultimate Solution' by Eric Norden, and 'The Divide' by William Overgard. They're both more or less about home life in a High Castle-esque world where the Nazis/Japanese have joint control over the USA with a Cold War brewing in the background. The former is more of a noir detective story, and the latter is more of a typical Hollywood action story, and they're both pretty fun reads.

I posted up my "library" in the Wolfenstein thread here, but I could repost it in this thread if there's interest.
I was going to ask you to recommend stuff like Resistance, but since it's not on your list I guess I'll recommend it to you instead!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Professor Shark posted:

Catching up on the spoiler text after finishing, The Leftovers Season 2 is a million times better than the first season and is a much better, refined version of LOST (you just have to invest 10 hours into Season 1 for the payoff, but I promise you it isn't one of those cases where goons say "It gets better, you just have to get through x and it turns out that it doesn't get better)!

Also, if you aren't familiar, it's by the creator/writer of LOST

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure I could stand it. I tried watching S1 of that show and it was like Depressed Suburban White kid from the 90's who listens to Nirvana: The TV Show. Think I quit not long after the spin the iPhone episode to keep my eyes from rolling out of my head. Maybe I'll read a synopsis for S1 and jump into S2 if it's as good as you say.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure I could stand it. I tried watching S1 of that show and it was like Depressed Suburban White kid from the 90's who listens to Nirvana: The TV Show. Think I quit not long after the spin the iPhone episode to keep my eyes from rolling out of my head. Maybe I'll read a synopsis for S1 and jump into S2 if it's as good as you say.

It really is, and I doubt you'd miss much if you read the Wikipedia synopsis.

If you need more reassurance (because Season 1 really was bad), if you Google "Leftovers Season 2" there are quite a few articles talking about how the quality has improved immensely, and if you give Rotten Tomatoes any mind, Season 2 is up to 89% from Season 1's 70%...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anne Whateley posted:

I was going to ask you to recommend stuff like Resistance, but since it's not on your list I guess I'll recommend it to you instead!
Thanks for the tip! That book was on my radar but I hadn't gotten around to picking it up yet.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Professor Shark posted:

It really is, and I doubt you'd miss much if you read the Wikipedia synopsis.

If you need more reassurance (because Season 1 really was bad), if you Google "Leftovers Season 2" there are quite a few articles talking about how the quality has improved immensely, and if you give Rotten Tomatoes any mind, Season 2 is up to 89% from Season 1's 70%...

Yeah, I heard some chatter in a couple different threads about s2 blowing some people away so I'll check it out when I get the chance. I don' t really have much to watch at the moment, but I'm currently loving around with Gold Rush, since I suddenly remembered that was a thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah this show isn't deep, it's all surface level poo poo

I just finished the last couple episodes and they didn't pull up from the dip that started after Episode 4, the show just sort of meandered and I began to dread the scenes with Joe, Frank, and Juliana. To be honest the entire thing felt like a Network show Cargo Culting as an HBO: great concept, original, but let down by the writing and acting

The main characters should have been Mr Tagomi and the Inspector, they are wayyy more interesting than White Love Triangle

I would love a show that's just the inspector solvin' crimes against the state in 1960's alt history san francisco. That guy was a stone cold noir motherfucker and a joy to watch, unlike literally everything else in this terrible show, Childen excepted.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I really enjoyed the show. The production values are top notch, but yea it had some serious pacing issues.

Last Episode Spoilers: Hitler is not The Man in The High Castle as some people keep to be stating as fact. The show creator in an interview has said that character is not even introduced in season 1 because he thought it was making the narrative too fast. When he first had the series as a 4 episode mini series that character was not even introduced until the 4th episode.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

insider posted:

I really enjoyed the show. The production values are top notch, but yea it had some serious pacing issues.

Last Episode Spoilers: Hitler is not The Man in The High Castle as some people keep to be stating as fact. The show creator in an interview has said that character is not even introduced in season 1 because he thought it was making the narrative too fast. When he first had the series as a 4 episode mini series that character was not even introduced until the 4th episode.

He is the person that all the tapes are going to, so if season 2 is going to start out with OH BUT THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE CALLED THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE SEPARATE FROM THE PERSON YOU WERE TRYING TO FIND LAST SEASON, that's going to be a super dumb reveal. But it also wouldn't be surprising.

EDIT: Like let me spell this poo poo out for you. The way things like this are supposed to work where they string you along effectively but still feel satisfying is that questions are asked, and then they're answered. The speed that the question is answered should be directly related to the centrality of the question. At the end of the season, all questions should at least have received some level of address, but very large questions can offer "answers" that bring up more questions. That's OK.

This is a show where literally nothing is ever addressed, unless it turns out that the questions were irrelevant in the first place. The "new questions" raised by the trade ministers' dumb acid trip were the answer to the super pressing question, "why has he been staring at a piece of found jewelry for three full episodes?" None of the questions are answered in any meaningful way, even, save one. "Who is the man in the high castle?" answer: Hitler. If that's not the loving answer, then this is without a doubt the most badly-told season of television I have ever seen. It's Lost, only less satisfying.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 29, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also lol that the writers believed that this show was in danger of moving too fast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

Also lol that the writers believed that this show was in danger of moving too fast.
Yeah the middle of the season, especially the Yakuza plot, were utterly useless.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

30.5 Days posted:

He is the person that all the tapes are going to, so if season 2 is going to start out with OH BUT THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE CALLED THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE SEPARATE FROM THE PERSON YOU WERE TRYING TO FIND LAST SEASON, that's going to be a super dumb reveal. But it also wouldn't be surprising.

EDIT: Like let me spell this poo poo out for you. The way things like this are supposed to work where they string you along effectively but still feel satisfying is that questions are asked, and then they're answered. The speed that the question is answered should be directly related to the centrality of the question. At the end of the season, all questions should at least have received some level of address, but very large questions can offer "answers" that bring up more questions. That's OK.

This is a show where literally nothing is ever addressed, unless it turns out that the questions were irrelevant in the first place. The "new questions" raised by the trade ministers' dumb acid trip were the answer to the super pressing question, "why has he been staring at a piece of found jewelry for three full episodes?" None of the questions are answered in any meaningful way, even, save one. "Who is the man in the high castle?" answer: Hitler. If that's not the loving answer, then this is without a doubt the most badly-told season of television I have ever seen. It's Lost, only less satisfying.

Woah ok man. Don't shoot the messenger. I will post sources below:

Spoilers from Show Creator: "Originally, the man in the high castle was to be revealed fairly early on, but creator Frank Spotnitz tells Zap2it that he decided to hold that reveal for later in the series.

“You won’t meet him in the first season and you won’t find out [about where the film comes from]. There’s clues, definitely. Very strong clues in Season 1, but I don’t answer it in Season 1,” says Spotnitz. “When this was originally written for Syfy as a four-hour miniseries, we met the man in the high castle in episode 4." Source: http://zap2it.com/2015/11/season-1-hints-man-in-the-high-castles-identity/

I also don't believe Hitler is the one that all the tapes are going to. I do not think the resistance reels are going to Hitler at all... he is just collecting them as well and using their information.

I think there are extremely strong hints that Tagomi's assistant is eponymous character. His burns on this body and saying he was from Nagaski, his comments about Tagomi being too good for 'this' world, etc. Too much weird stuff about him, but I would have to watch the series a second time to really get them all written down and I don't really feel like doing that right now.

Woden
May 6, 2006

insider posted:

Woah ok man. Don't shoot the messenger. I will post sources below:

Spoilers from Show Creator: "Originally, the man in the high castle was to be revealed fairly early on, but creator Frank Spotnitz tells Zap2it that he decided to hold that reveal for later in the series.

“You won’t meet him in the first season and you won’t find out [about where the film comes from]. There’s clues, definitely. Very strong clues in Season 1, but I don’t answer it in Season 1,” says Spotnitz. “When this was originally written for Syfy as a four-hour miniseries, we met the man in the high castle in episode 4." Source: http://zap2it.com/2015/11/season-1-hints-man-in-the-high-castles-identity/

I also don't believe Hitler is the one that all the tapes are going to. I do not think the resistance reels are going to Hitler at all... he is just collecting them as well and using their information.

I think there are extremely strong hints that Tagomi's assistant is eponymous character. His burns on this body and saying he was from Nagaski, his comments about Tagomi being too good for 'this' world, etc. Too much weird stuff about him, but I would have to watch the series a second time to really get them all written down and I don't really feel like doing that right now.

After reading that I hope they just cancel this poo poo show.

The 4 part SyFy series would have been pretty cool, wouldn't really have to cut much.

Woden fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I have to say I enjoyed the show, but I'm enjoying the petulant goon whining even more. Especially 30.5 days. It takes a lot of dedication to hate-binge watch an entire season and then stick around the thread to throw a fit. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mike the TV posted:

I have to say I enjoyed the show, but I'm enjoying the petulant goon whining even more. Especially 30.5 days. It takes a lot of dedication to hate-binge watch an entire season and then stick around the thread to throw a fit. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

There's definitely something unique about SA w/r/t films & TV where a large segment of users will always trash critically acclaimed materiel. It's weird.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'm definitely on "Team Morally Uncomfortable," because the actual resistance plot is outrageously dull and the most fascinating characters are aligned with the Axis powers. Particularly OGF Smith and Inspector Kido (and Tagomi, though he seems pretty unambiguously good.)

The show's main flaw, in my mind, is assuming we actually give that much of a gently caress about this bullshit love triangle with Frank, Juliana, and her Nazi boyfriend. Frank's not so bad on his own (the scene where his sister's boss reads a Hebrew prayer is stunning), but as soon as Juliana and Joe get in there, everything comes to a screeching goddamn halt. Joe is garbage, and Juliana is a selfish child. gently caress them both.

This show is best, I think, when it forces characters who actually have power to think on the systems they're part of. We already know the Nazis were evil; showing us "good guys" who share American liberal values isn't new or interesting. But a hardliner like Smith coping with his sick son, or a stickler like Kido struggling to sort duty from the greater good with the real assassin, is fascinating to watch.

That one Japanese guy is 100% a dimensional traveler from a-bomb Nagasaki, though. I hope the "mystery of the film reels" doesn't become some Lost-style clusterfuck, because complicated lore feels like gilding the lily when the show's premise is already a horrifying alterverse where genocidally insane supremacists have taken over the world.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 30, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Finished watching the show yesterday. Pretty good overall, but as many people have said before, anything to do with Juliana and Joe could be tossed strainght into garbage. Especially close to the end, the nonstop back and forth rescuing each other was insufferable. I hope they sprinkle some PKD-style drug-fueled schizophrenia on the second season, instead of going down the "it's magic" Lost path.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Finished watching the show yesterday. Pretty good overall, but as many people have said before, anything to do with Juliana and Joe could be tossed strainght into garbage. Especially close to the end, the nonstop back and forth rescuing each other was insufferable. I hope they sprinkle some PKD-style drug-fueled schizophrenia on the second season, instead of going down the "it's magic" Lost path.

The Julliana/Joe/Frank plot line was a rollercoaster of eye rolling towards the end. Otherwise this was very good. Especially OGF Smith and Trade Minister Tagomi, who resembles a tortoise.

I don't think :hitler: is the man in the high castle, as Smith told Joe to kill him the moment he entered the same room (or something like that)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Immortan posted:

There's definitely something unique about SA w/r/t films & TV where a large segment of users will always trash critically acclaimed materiel. It's weird.

What the gently caress does that have to do with Man In The High Castle?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Collateral posted:

...and Trade Minister Tagomi, who resembles a tortoise.

I can only see Shang Tsung.

Like, I'm glad he settled down and got a stable Ministry job. A nice office, good benefits...Shao Kahn would never offer him so much.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Xenomrph posted:

Just cause I didn't see it on your list, but Dominion is another alternate WWII history book that's pretty good. It's focused on the UK and presumes the US never enters the war or loses to Germany but it was pretty fun to read.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Xealot posted:

I can only see Shang Tsung.

Like, I'm glad he settled down and got a stable Ministry job. A nice office, good benefits...Shao Kahn would never offer him so much.

Getting killed by Lu Kang will change a man

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

:agreed:

Overall I like this show but it has a high potential to turn into a gigantic turd depending on where they take things. In fact, I feel that unless they have a very good idea where to take the story this is likely to happen.

-As a few others have noted, I feel the best and most interesting characters by far are OGF Smith, Inspector Kido and the Trade Minister. Maybe because they seem to have the best actors, but the Young People/Love Triangle characters just don't seem to be particularly well written, and the actor that plays Joe Blake is pretty much a stiff in addition to his character being dull.

-I did like the rare items dealer, I found his character annoying at first but when he does his turnaround I was completely sold on the character. I particularly liked the fact that it was the dinner where the hipster rich Japanese couple were condescending to him and he learned that he was just another curious white ethnic to them that turned him around. I was really worried that he was going to wind up in jail or shot at that dinner because of something related to the investigation and I shared his puzzlement at what was going on as that dinner wore on.

-Really how the show will ultimately be regarded depends on where they take the "alternate history" plot and what the Heisenberg device is/does. I've assumed that these are related, and that the Heisenberg device either facilitates spinning alternate realities, traveling between them, or recording events in other realities that one can learn from.

-I also thought that Juliana's heart necklace had some kind of talismanic property, possibly not in and of itself, but that perhaps it allowed something else like a Heisenberg device to access another reality by focusing on it. But yeah, maybe Frank's sculptures will wind up being like Valyrian steel or dragon glass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Heisenberg device is just a nuclear bomb.

Werner Heisenberg was the head of the Nazi atomic programme in our timeline, the one that didn’t get anywhere.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Irony of course is that Teller, Ulam and Fermi, important contributors to the atom bomb and critical to the hydrogen bomb's advent, all left Europe because of antisemitism.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Calling it a Heisenberg Device is particularly noteworthy because IRL, Heisenberg had no idea how the hell the atom bomb worked when he first found out. He was the old distinguished scholar at that point. MI6 bugged the Nazi physicists they picked up in 1945, and we have actual transcripts of when they first found out about Hiroshima. it's great reading.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want to read more about what the Nazis knew about the Manhattan Project and the finer points of bomb‐making, this article is good (as is everything on that historian’s blog).

e: I was trying to find a post by the same historian about the fervency with which Heisenberg did or did not work toward the Nazi bomb. It’s here.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 1, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This was a Good Show. Slowed down a bit in the middle, but the subplot with the Antiques Dealer had a hilarious pay off so I'm fine with it.

The Japanese cast steals the show, especially Trade Minister whatshisname's facial expressions. He can scrunch his face up like nobody's business, it's too loving funny. I knew he looked familiar, but somehow didn't recognize a soul-stealing supervillain in the Prime Minister so that shows some solid acting there.

Joel De La Fuente coulda fooled me that he wasn't Japanese. Or maybe he is? Either way, the Japanese characters are really excellent and I liked Oppengrupper Smith a lot too, especially how he's almost never out of his uniform, which becomes only funnier as the show goes on.

Of course the Nazis would design their buildings with the least safe and most easily pushed off rooftops in existence.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

Collateral posted:

I don't think :hitler: is the man in the high castle, as Smith told Joe to kill him the moment he entered the same room (or something like that)

Smith is just too low ranking to know maybe? The obvious shots of the CASTLE, HIGH in the mountains were really labouring the point...

Xealot posted:

That one Japanese guy is 100% a dimensional traveler from a-bomb Nagasaki

Perhaps having seen the devastation of the city he loves in our timeline and suffered horrible injuries, he wishes himself/works out how to get to the Nazi one?

There was a good show to be made on the topic but this isn't it. How many times did the three main characters cheat death/escape? Escaping bounty hunters, Yakuza, embassies... just strained credulity after a while. They seemed to get over the loss of people close to them somewhat quickly too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Season 2 should start with the love triangle put out‐of‐action.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Season 2 should start with the love triangle put out-of-action.

Joe Blake died on the way back to his home planet.

The notion of a Nazi civil war is kind of neat, based on the events of the finale. I can only assume Hitler loyalists and those defecting to Heydrich's cause are both fairly substantial factions. That can't have been fully resolved by OGF Smith overtaking one guy at the end of the episode.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Season 2 should go to a totally different set of characters for the first half of it. I'd say shorten the scope down to a group of people working in a propaganda office. The tapes are a problem, since they are negative propaganda, so the initial drive is the main cast trying to find and suppress tapes. First season characters start filtering in as the pursuit of the tapes grows national, and the propagandists--who were all news men and artists before the occupation--are conflicted about their work.

In the end, they attempt to make a "real" Grasshopper tape, but perhaps instead they end up discovering more about the Man in the High Castle, with an open ending over the nature of the real tapes and so on.

EDIT: Keeping it confined to a single set for a lot of the show, with news about the ongoing civil war and Japanese aggression becoming increasingly hard to distinguish fact from fiction adding a layer of confusion to the characters, who may be making truth into propaganda or making propaganda into truth. Nobody knows, and the progress of the war is hard to tell until there's bombings outside their doors.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I haven't even watched the series yet and I hope season 2 starts with an American soldier named William waking up from a 20-year coma in a Polish hospital and then straight up adapts Wolfenstein: The New Order.

• Locked thread