Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol where's the film reel from the universe where this show is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I’m don’t understand why (spoilers whole season) Chief Inspector Kido needs Ed McCarthy as a scapegoat. It seems to me that he could lay the blame on anyone, and he certainly isn’t morally above that.

Witnesses saw the revolver, but they saw it in Frank’s hands, and confirm he never fired. The revolver is at odds with the true ballistics report anyway. Why not create a frame‐up from a clean slate?

I guess they needed at least a murder weapon in hand, but you're right that it only sort of makes sense, like a lot of things. Like for instance, why didn't hitler just have the nazis grab the films instead of having the resistance and also additionally the nazis grab them. Or just have the resistance grab them and not have the nazis grab them, if he doesn't trust the nazis. It doesn't make any sense to tell both groups that they're mega-important and have them fight for the films, except that it's the primary source of drama in the show and so it has to be back-justified.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Or heck, while we're asking questions, why is the hero of the show's only satisfyingly-concluded plot thread Adolf Hitler, why would you write a show like that when you're basing it off a book where Hitler isn't even a character?

Why is a key plot point the prince changing to a warlike leader resolved entirely off-screen and introduced by a guy who's only there for one scene to deliver the news when the prince and the guy the news is being delivered to are acquaintances and it could have actually been shown on screen with no difficulty? Why do we establish in the first ep that a major character has martial arts training have her use it in the second and then have it never come up ever, ever again despite the multiple opportunities?

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 21, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Why does the plot point about John Smith's son that's CLEARLY there to humanize him just stop all of a sudden short of anything actually happening and then get forgotten about entirely? Am I supposed to feel better about this nazi because a bad thing might happen to him at some point in the future? Did they run out of room in the edit? Maybe they could have cut 3 of the hours that the old dude spent staring at that necklace.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I thought that maybe (1x10) that was going to be the turning point for him, but it wasn’t.

I don’t mind the Hitler is the Man in the High Castle reveal, except that it’s not clear where they can go from there. They can’t make Hitler a good guy, but removing him from the picture immediately would be a strange turn of plot. So what’s he going to do if there’s a second season?

It's not clear what anybody would do, because the source of hope in the series is now revealed to be worthless, but no characters are aware of that so they have no reason to change their behavior. There's basically no value in any characters attempting to do anything unless magical chinaman's acid trip ends and he does something useful. But hopefully they'll kill this dumb show and no one will have to worry about that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah this show isn't deep, it's all surface level poo poo

I just finished the last couple episodes and they didn't pull up from the dip that started after Episode 4, the show just sort of meandered and I began to dread the scenes with Joe, Frank, and Juliana. To be honest the entire thing felt like a Network show Cargo Culting as an HBO: great concept, original, but let down by the writing and acting

The main characters should have been Mr Tagomi and the Inspector, they are wayyy more interesting than White Love Triangle

I would love a show that's just the inspector solvin' crimes against the state in 1960's alt history san francisco. That guy was a stone cold noir motherfucker and a joy to watch, unlike literally everything else in this terrible show, Childen excepted.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

insider posted:

I really enjoyed the show. The production values are top notch, but yea it had some serious pacing issues.

Last Episode Spoilers: Hitler is not The Man in The High Castle as some people keep to be stating as fact. The show creator in an interview has said that character is not even introduced in season 1 because he thought it was making the narrative too fast. When he first had the series as a 4 episode mini series that character was not even introduced until the 4th episode.

He is the person that all the tapes are going to, so if season 2 is going to start out with OH BUT THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE CALLED THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE SEPARATE FROM THE PERSON YOU WERE TRYING TO FIND LAST SEASON, that's going to be a super dumb reveal. But it also wouldn't be surprising.

EDIT: Like let me spell this poo poo out for you. The way things like this are supposed to work where they string you along effectively but still feel satisfying is that questions are asked, and then they're answered. The speed that the question is answered should be directly related to the centrality of the question. At the end of the season, all questions should at least have received some level of address, but very large questions can offer "answers" that bring up more questions. That's OK.

This is a show where literally nothing is ever addressed, unless it turns out that the questions were irrelevant in the first place. The "new questions" raised by the trade ministers' dumb acid trip were the answer to the super pressing question, "why has he been staring at a piece of found jewelry for three full episodes?" None of the questions are answered in any meaningful way, even, save one. "Who is the man in the high castle?" answer: Hitler. If that's not the loving answer, then this is without a doubt the most badly-told season of television I have ever seen. It's Lost, only less satisfying.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 29, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also lol that the writers believed that this show was in danger of moving too fast.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Immortan posted:

There's definitely something unique about SA w/r/t films & TV where a large segment of users will always trash critically acclaimed materiel. It's weird.

What the gently caress does that have to do with Man In The High Castle?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

How are they going to decide whether it was a successful run -- just reviews?

Yes, and Man in the High Castle has been inarguably successful. Slate put a pretty fine point on it in their review. They called the show "watchable", pointed out that it was damning the show with faint praise, then continued that this still makes High Castle the second best show made by amazon out of about a dozen greenlights and several dozen pilots.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

RL Hitler was kinda known for "crazy level micro managing" and considering the stakes for him (the films are after all the reason why he is successful in this alternate universe) it would make sense. For the same reason he wouldn't care about supporting a resistence movement which will never be a serious threat in his eyes but they increase the chances of him getting his hands on the films even if some of "his" people get killed.
Someone asked why he wouldn't use just "his" people for it. Well, there are two good reasons:
1) He might not be able to fully trust his own people and thus it's a risk to rely just on them
2) His own people don't have access to the Japanese territories.
The 2nd point is especially important because the Japanese are also aware of the films and hunt them so the Resistence is probably the only reliable way for Hitler to get his hands on all the films in their territories.

But if he doesn't trust his people, why tell his people to get the films? He told both sides to do, thus ensuring that the people who he doesn't trust have a higher chance of getting them and making it harder for both sides to get ahold of anything (after all, telling both sides to get the films is exactly why that whole stupid Yakuza plot happened).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I never had any doubt.

Yeah people who were saying "if" it got renewed are ridiculous. I seriously despised this show and even I agree that it's the second or third best series that amazon has greenlit. Transparent is better, Alpha house is probably better, but amazon's first party offerings are largely a wasteland. Anything that most people can stomach watching from start to finish is going to get renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I was, however, very surprised when Togami switched timelines just by holding onto Juliana's amulet really hard.

Well he did spend three full episodes staring at it for no apparent reason so you know. One of the subplots was that Frank has so much emo man-pain that he imbues stuff he makes with wu, and so that is likely responsible for what happened, and also why Togami kept staring at the pendant. It's dumb as gently caress and filled with a sort of messed up orientalism that was more socially acceptable back when dick wrote this sucker, but I guess we're just gonna put it in the TV show why not.

withak posted:

I hope they put OGF Smith's back-story in Season 2. How does an american who must have been a teenager during WW2 end up super-good buddies with high-ranking german nazis then put in charge of the whole show in america afterwards?

It was explained to some extent, when you take it with the historical context. There were a lot of people in 1930s US that were super agreeable to nazism. That generally evaporated when we went to war with them, but there's little reason to think that with our army and navy defeated and the nazis offering a peaceful occupation that those sympathies wouldn't resurface. The show makes reference to the fact after that offer was made, there was a civil war between those agreeable to nazism and everyone else, and Smith fought in that on the nazi side (Joe's father fought on the American one).

• Locked thread