Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished the season. I'm kinda confused by the spoiler policy so I'll just tag everything.

Knowing Philip K. Dick, I was gunning for an alternate universe from the beginning, so that wasn't too much of a surprise. I was, however, very surprised when Togami switched timelines just by holding onto Juliana's amulet really hard. Given how little of the real story the show has explained so far, I was not expecting them to give it to us outright. If that leads to a "Togami wanders the non-occupied American west coast trying to figure out what the gently caress just happened" main plot thread I will be so happy.

I really liked the show overall, but I do share some people's criticisms. Mainly, Joe's character is super loving confused. The writers did not think him through very well. I wouldn't have minded the Jules x Joe x Frank triangle if it was kept in the background, but it was a little more intrusive than I hoped. Also, hinging the ending of their plot thread on that felt rather dumb. In the end, nobody won.

One thing I absolutely loved about the show was the music. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack overall. Many of the main tracks have this ethereal quality to them with subtle, magical tones that sell a uniquely unsettling atmosphere in which everything feels just a little bit stranger than it should. The track that plays when Frank is deciding whether to shoot the crown prince was one of the highlights of the show for me.

I'm looking forwards to a second season, but I really hope they don't drag the supernatural side of the mystery on for too long because the show has been pacing the background plot very slowly so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Well he did spend three full episodes staring at it for no apparent reason so you know. One of the subplots was that Frank has so much emo man-pain that he imbues stuff he makes with wu, and so that is likely responsible for what happened, and also why Togami kept staring at the pendant. It's dumb as gently caress and filled with a sort of messed up orientalism that was more socially acceptable back when dick wrote this sucker, but I guess we're just gonna put it in the TV show why not.

Was that really what we were supposed to understand? :psyduck:

If so, that was really badly done. I just thought either the wife was bullshitting because she felt bad for him or because "japan people are dumb".

• Locked thread