Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Love the show - I think the only time I lost patience with it was around episode 5. I think the episode 6 to 10 stretch is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Fateo McMurray posted:

(1x10)Am I supposed to be rooting for Obergruppenführer Smith? Or feel bad for him and his kid? gently caress him. And his kid. I knew the kid was a goner when they went to see the doctor, but making the nazi dad kill the nazi son himself before the state does it for you? :perfect:

I think the show making you root for loyal American nazi and team Hitler (vs. everyone dying horribly) is supposed to make you feel weird and confused inside

I personally loved Heydrich. I mean seriously, who was more evil than Heydrich? Compared to him and Himmler, Hitler was a moderate nazi. I read the book years ago, and my favorite part was when the Japanese minister fell into our universe - I really wish that had happened before the last 3 minutes of the season.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Well, if it's like the book, maybe next season Juliana will realize that her world in The Man in the High Castle is not real and achieve gnostic transcendence or whatever

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I hope the new season has many, many more scenes of Juliana arriving somewhere, sitting down exhausted, sloppily tossing her dirty jacket or bag or whatever nearby, then suddenly realizing "I've got to go!" "Got to go! See you soon! I can't explain!!!" All she needs is an out-of-battery iPhone with a full voicemail box to be a true alternate-reality millennial.

It seems like every loving scene ends with one of our young heroes shouting "got to go!" before rushing off to catastrophically gently caress something else up. Juliana's the worst offender here but Frink does it a lot too.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
just finished season 2! holy poo poo do I hope they never bring back that joyless prick Frank Frink. He was such an entirely unlikeable rear end in a top hat and I'm glad he's dead.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I agree with all the posters saying that the treatment of American nazis is well done- they are disgustingly familiar. If viewers find the American Nazis too appealing then they're already a lost cause. Two things to add:

I wish we would see working class activism - some sort of a left. The resistance we see in America is vaguely about "freedom" and beating back axis powers but what do they actually believe in? One possibility is, of course, that the left has been brutally suppressed - but so have the liberals. Is there no communist underground?

The problematic area where the show actually reifies nazi ideology is the Lebensborn. Apparently the Nazi eugenics program really worked and produced some of the most beautiful actors to appear in the show. I would have preferred the Lebensborn to be more average looking rather than beauties plucked from Calvin Klein ads - Joe Blake is bad enough in that regard.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Mike the TV posted:

Watch the documentary The Act of Killing to get a sense of a real example of what happens when the fascist regime wins.

Spoiler: they kill anyone who opposes them and the murderers become heros.

I have seen this movie - I agree it is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Well for one thing it's what 1960? 62? This is the first generation product of eugenics.

Sure, of course we could breed blonde haired blue eyed people through eugenics. I'm troubled more by the fact that they're beautiful people.

• Locked thread