Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

As someone who didn't really care for the book (felt like a series of not really connected character studies than a cohesive story, just wasn't what I was looking for), I am loving the first two episodes. Some definite changes from the book (in the book, Hitler was already not in charge, here's that a pretty big plot point, and yeah, no possibility of alternate timeline trickery that I remember), but the changes are all for the better. Can't wait for the rest of the season.

As for how it could happen, I can't say, but how the book handled how it happened, (minor setting spoilers at absolutely worst, may not even be covered in the show) FDR was assassinated before the war even began while in Miami, causing his weak Vice President (not Truman, can't remember which one) to take over, do a terrible job, and lose election to a Republican, who took a totally different approach to the war. I'm guessing that let the Nazi's focus entirely on Russia, but my memory gets hazy at that point.

But yeah, great show so far, and Rufus Sewell especially is killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Blackchamber posted:

Actually in the book Hitler was still in charge, but he was syphilitic and it was a matter of time before he was hospitalized. I'm not just splitting hairs here, it was one of the interesting things in the book as there were about 3 different people who were in the running to replace him and most of the americans were hoping it was going to be a younger more moderate leaning guy (his name escapes me) that might have made things nicer for them. EDIT: oh also the Japanese were concerned that if Goebbels came to power it would spell trouble for them since he was a hardliner and they didn't have the economic or military power to really keep him and Germany in check. The more I think about it, the power struggle after Hitler is gone while brief is a major plot point in the book and is the whole reason why 3 central characters are even in it so I'm curious why you thought Hitler was already gone.

For all we know they could still do that in the show.

Nope. In the book, Hitler was already hospitalized, and Martin Bormann had already become chancellor. The power struggle you're thinking of is when, near the beginning of the novel, Bormann dies, which leads to Joseph Goebbels, Reinhard Heydrich, Hermann Göring, and other top Nazis to try to succeed him as Reichskanzler.

In the show, they appear to be skipping over Bormann as chancellor entirely, which is fine as Hitler makes for a better figure to have leave a power vacuum.

• Locked thread