Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Steve2911 posted:

Coincidentally the book's next on my to-read list. Are the first few episodes of this any good? (Is Amazon's stuff in general any good? I never hear anything about it other than it exists).

While I don't know how the rest of Amazon's original stuff is, this series is really great. The best parts are all the worldbuilding they do. Little minor things like comments about how the hospitals burn their infirm every week/month.

As for episode 2: Holy poo poo. :(

I don't have anything else to say.

They've done a really amazing job adapting the book into a tv series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Sleeveless posted:

I never read the book but I wasn't expecting what appears to be parallel universes and communication/travel between them to be a thing in the show, let alone featured so prominently and as it has been with the film reel from our world being the focal point of everything that has happened so far.

This is probably the biggest difference between the book and the series so far. In the book, the McGuffin is a book, not a film, and there's not really any implied parallel universes or anything. It's just a work of speculative fiction that some guy in the neutral zone wrote. In the Amazon series, the film reel comes across as a full on parallel universe artifact, especially given how nearly impossible it would be to fake a film in the 60s. Of course, if they had kept it as a book in the Amazon series, it wouldn't work as well. I'm interested in seeing the explanation for the origin of the film reel.

• Locked thread