Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Marine battery & an inverter works. (read this if you want to know why you'd use a marine battery over a car battery)

Or a UPS with a high enough rating based on the power usage. The one I've got can rock a monitor, full tower and external hard drive for 5-7 minutes, and something like 20-30 with just the tower and no display. Having an incredibly tiny low power cpu like a pi or something doing routing with a wireless adapter on a fairly large UPS would do what you want. Mains kick out, you're still good. UPS regulates voltage for under/over as well.

Or just get a generator for this specifically. Pick your input- gas, solar, wind, or..other..There's a ton of options in the portable genny that doesn't use gas route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm kind of laughing at the idea of an electrician coming out and hooking up an inverter to a battery for you.

I mean, it's two color coded clips. Clip red to red, black to black and congrats, the inverter is powered.

A battery and inverter will be half the price if not cheaper then a UPS for what you're doing, but I guess be one step more complicated in having to clip the inverter and the charger to it as needed..how much that convenience is worth to you is totally subjective, but they make really cheap low AH @20hr batteries and low wattage inverters. (you could probably get away with the 50-60 usd range for both)

Just so you can see how silly your reply was, here's some guy stuck in 1995 hooking up an inverter to a battery. Spoiler: He is instantly vaporized.

e: looking at things like 10-20 ah batteries, it looks like it's pretty much what they throw in UPS systems anyway, so basically you could just do what you need from the 60 dollar replacement batteries you mentioned in your post hooked to an inverter directly. you're missing things like OS shutdown and PC-related functions that a UPS provides that are useless to what you're doing anyway. most inverters will even have watt and voltage readouts on them and over/under volt regulation that you'd find on a UPS (not that it matters anyway since you're pulling off a battery source not shaky mains)

e2: the 100 or more you'd save upfront sounds like it's not worth the tradeoff of having everything automated. as long as your ups is using a decent deep cycle battery you should be totally fine. i doubt running a charge/discharge cycle every day is going to kill the thing, they wouldn't make them if they weren't made to run off battery on a whim.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 28, 2015

• Locked thread