Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

That video/song was pretty great. Kinda amused the news of the new album coincided with my most recent Bowie phase too. I'm stoked for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
As someone who never had a Bowie phase before... where should I start?

edit:

Lots of answers. Thanks guys.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 22, 2015

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Start anywhere you like (maybe not the 80's). Low and Heroes are probably the safest bets, but there's something great on almost every album.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
might be worth checking out one of his compilation albums just because it's otherwise kind of hard to get a grasp on the different parts of his career. Best of Bowie is pretty good, and Changesonebowie (which only covers through 1976) is canonically one of the best compilation albums ever released

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It was mentioned earlier but A Reality Tour is a great live album. It leans heavily on his final record before "retiring" (Reality) but it's chock full of what I consider to be the definitive live versions of his classic stuff.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I don't know whether to recommend Hunky Dorky as a first listen or to wait it out. On one hand you've likely heard a few songs from the album so it should be easy to get into, on the other hand imo it's one of his most consistently great albums all the way through (save for Fill Your Heart, bleh) so I sort of feel like saving it as a treat for later is a viable path.

Also, a fun option to work into the Berlin trilogy would be to go Kraftwerk's Autobahn > Bowie's Station to Station > Kraftwerk's Radioactivity > Iggy Pop's The Idiot > Low/Heroes to track the krautrock influence. Then tack on Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express (from station to station back to Düsseldorf city, meet Iggy Pop and David Bowie~) and finish with Lodger.

Millions fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 21, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jack's Flow posted:

As someone who never had a Bowie phase before... where should I start?

This is a decent guide. Otherwise I'd probably start with a greatest hits compilation, since Bowie's career is ridiculously diverse and spans several genres. Generally his albums are solid besides the first two or three and some of his 80's output, so I'd just follow up on the albums of whatever songs grab your attention.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IMO it is fun and interesting to go through his work chronologically. Each of his phases was in many ways a reaction to the previous one, as well as his evolving interests.

quote:

Generally his albums are solid besides the first two or three and some of his 80's output, so I'd just follow up on the albums of whatever songs grab your attention.

His first three albums are great

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Earwicker posted:

His first three albums are great

uh

his second self-titled isn't nearly so dire, but still isn't great. I do absolutely love The Man Who Sold the World, though.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My very first CD was The Best of David Bowie 1969/1974. For me, that's classic Bowie.

Honestly, I don't really 'get' his 90s period.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Outside has some awesome tracks on it. I really like We Prick You. I love every album though. I love everything up through Let's Dance, and then from Outside on. Anything between those periods seems to have really dated production, and I don't care for them as much. Even Let's Dance has really 80s production, but it's still a fun one.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I would say start with classic early 70s work up to the Berlin trilogy then Scary Monsters (an overlooked album), then go to the most recent few albums. Then work backwards to the others. Don't neglect Tin Machine albums. (Personally I would skip some of the 80s and early 90s albums.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It took three or four listens to get into it but Blackstar is pretty great. I definitely prefer it to everything on The Next Day.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

abraham linksys posted:

might be worth checking out one of his compilation albums just because it's otherwise kind of hard to get a grasp on the different parts of his career. Best of Bowie is pretty good, and Changesonebowie (which only covers through 1976) is canonically one of the best compilation albums ever released

This. Get a compilation (e.g. Nothing Has Changed), see what you like most and then get more from that era. Bowie has covered SO much ground over the last decades that it's unlikely you won't find something you like, and it's equally unlikely you'll really like everything. Personally, I've never liked his Ziggy Stardust phase that much, even though it's arguably what made him famous in the first place.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I personally absolutely can't get into Earthling other than I'm Afraid of Americans. A compilation is a pretty good place to start, there's just an impossible amount of sounds and themes to pick one.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I feel like I'm the only person who unabashedly loves everything Bowie's ever made, and I'm okay with that. I have zero complaints about anything, and I'm currently completely obsessed with Blackstar. I can't stop listening to it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

uh

his second self-titled isn't nearly so dire, but still isn't great. I do absolutely love The Man Who Sold the World, though.

I don't think the first album is bad at all, though I'll concede it's not for everyone.

But the second album is the one that was re-released as Space Oddity and it's definitely great. In addition to the title track has several other very good tunes like Cygnet Committee, Memory of a Free Festival, Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed... all great stuff and definitely a major part of the formation of that classic Bowie sound that established more firmly in the early 70's.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
As far as "I've played it enough that I can hear it in my head when I look at the title" goes, the only songs I really dig off Space Oddity are the title track and God Knows I'm Good.
I totally unironically like at least half the (first) self-titled, especially Please Mr. Gravedigger, which is so loving weird and dark after the preceding 13 tracks.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Rolling stone has an article out about the album, apparently James Murphy features on it and was originally going to coproduce. Sounds cool

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-inside-story-of-david-bowies-stunning-new-album-blackstar-20151123

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Blackstar is absolutely loving stunning. It blows my mind that he's still making such compelling music this far into his career.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I dropped off Bowie just after Heathen. Listening to this, I forgot how inspiring his music is. Been catching up w/ the next day right now and it's just straight up quality.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The better his post-hiatus stuff gets the more bummed I get knowing that I'll never see him perform.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
freddie was better

never liked this one

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
New song released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSt9RDIIa0k

The cast of the production "Lazarus" will perform the track tonight on the Late Show With Stephen Colbert. Its official video is set to premiere on January 7th.

Droopy Goines fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 17, 2015

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Droopy Goines posted:

New song released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSt9RDIIa0k

The cast of the production "Lazarus" will perform the track tonight on the Late Show With Stephen Colbert. Its official video is set to premiere on January 7th.

I like this one a lot! I liked Blackstar a lot too, but this is great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that's a great song, definitely excited for this album

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I think I'll skip listening to this one until the album drops. Seems weird that 4/7 of the tracks have been released already!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I really like that song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Silver Brushes posted:

The better his post-hiatus stuff gets the more bummed I get knowing that I'll never see him perform.

It's funny how we won't even see him give an interview or appear at an event. He's become this mythical being. I wouldn't be surprised if he records a lot of music and then has someone keep up the facade that he's alive and releasing things long after he's dead.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Nail Rat posted:

It's funny how we won't even see him give an interview or appear at an event. He's become this mythical being. I wouldn't be surprised if he records a lot of music and then has someone keep up the facade that he's alive and releasing things long after he's dead.

:psyduck: What exactly would it take to surprise you?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised either, seems like a no brainer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So when the album hits there'll only be three so far unheard tracks on it I guess. That's a bummer.

I have a feeling he made the title track and just thought 'poo poo this is good, it should form the basis of an album!' and then just scraped together the stuff he'd already done since the last one.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Steve2911 posted:

So when the album hits there'll only be three so far unheard tracks on it I guess. That's a bummer.

I have a feeling he made the title track and just thought 'poo poo this is good, it should form the basis of an album!' and then just scraped together the stuff he'd already done since the last one.

Sue on the album is different from the Maria Schneider version that was released and Tis' A Pity is also very different from the demo version that we have heard (apparently David Bowie, who has recently been learning how to use a DAW, made that all by himself at his home studio.)

So there's actually five unheard tracks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Pumped for this. I actually really liked Heathen, particularly Slow Burn. His voice really ages well, I wonder if it's only because he doesn't perform live.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
It leaked. :filez:

It's really good, supposedly.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sometimes you get embarrassed about poo poo you used to like when you were younger

Some things however are continually confirmed to be eternally cool and good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it's extremely good. IMO it sounds very much like a spiritual successor to 1. Outside, which is something i'd been hoping he would do for like two decades now. definitely his most experimental album since then.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Count me in as another one who really enjoyed it. I only listened to it once over the weekend, but some of the tracks have been stuck in my head ever since.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Earwicker posted:

it's extremely good. IMO it sounds very much like a spiritual successor to 1. Outside, which is something i'd been hoping he would do for like two decades now. definitely his most experimental album since then.

Yeah, to me it sounds like Outside mixed with a bit of Station to Station. The leak's audio is pretty lovely and it still sounds incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I'd definitely agree with that. Especially the way both have such an epic, conceptual opener. But I actually think its more consistent than Station to Station (which has a couple songs I'm really not into)

• Locked thread