Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I loved it. I spent the past week listening to his entire back catalogue in chronological order, and this feels like a natural direction for him to be taking.
Definitely agree with the comparisons to 1.Outside and Station to Station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Earwicker posted:

Yeah I'd definitely agree with that. Especially the way both have such an epic, conceptual opener. But I actually think its more consistent than Station to Station (which has a couple songs I'm really not into)

Agreed fully. Also it would be completely believable as a planned sequel to Outside if it had some weird spoken word segue tracks, or if Outside hadn't had those to begin with.
In the end it's still the more "accessible" tracks I'm listening to the most, though- the last three.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

There is a throughline from Buddha of Suburbia to Outside to Heathen that is the real Bowie

I don't know who that guy on the other albums is, probably some persona

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm glad the reviews have been stellar so far and I ain't spoiling it for myself until the release

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Already posted this in the vinyl thread, but gently caress it. I got my copy of the LP today and it's really good. Rewards intensive listening. The title track is a definite highlight; Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away are probably my favorites. The LP packaging is very cool as well. Lots of constellation shapes, as well as the image from the voyager's golden records (all embossed black on black, naturally). Here's a couple bad cell phone pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/3mDU2

The comparisons to Station to Station are pretty legit, imho. Nothing that hits me quite as hard as Wild is the Wind or that album's title track here, but drat if it isn't a fun (albeit frequently inscrutable) listen.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This record is seriously good. And I was lukewarm (on the positive end) on his last one.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

New video released! There's a theme going, I wonder if there's going to be a storyline in video form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Incidentally I believe the actual name of the album is properly ★ rather than "Blackstar"

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Bought this on CD today. It is a shortish album but it was priced at £9.99 for CD and £23 for vinyl. I don't know what the standard price is for a 60 min album but I think the CD has been priced a little lower to reflect the amount of content. That is fine for me. I'd rather pay less for a shorter album than more for a longer album with filler.

I like it a lot. "Girl Loves Me" is a bit dull but everything else is really fun with a touch of the unexpected. I like "Sue" for its fast beats and tight riff - like a jungle track. "Tis a Pity" has classic early 70s Bowie vocal harmonies.

If you're a Bowie fan or just like some of his stuff I think this is strong recommendation. :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Bought this on CD today. It is a shortish album but it was priced at £9.99 for CD and £23 for vinyl. I don't know what the standard price is for a 60 min album but I think the CD has been priced a little lower to reflect the amount of content. That is fine for me. I'd rather pay less for a shorter album than more for a longer album with filler.

60 minutes makes it one of the longer Bowie albums. Most of his classic albums are around 40 minutes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's not 60 minutes though, it's 41.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh. but still, thats just a normal length, not particularly short.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Yes, that's my point. 50-60 min is about standard for a rock album but Blackstar is 41 min. I assumed - on the basis of the title track being 10 min, which was released first - that a 7-track LP might work out at 50-60 min. Nope, it is atypical. The timings are: 9:57, 4:52, 6:22, 4:40, 4:51, 4:44, 5:47. Hence my thoughts that the price was a touch lower than it would be for a 60min album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I've never heard of albums being priced based on length before. I guess EPs will be discounted, but 40 minutes is a full length album.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I've never heard of albums being priced based on length before.

Generally length only effects price when its a matter of format. EP vs LP vs double etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yes, that's my point. 50-60 min is about standard for a rock album but Blackstar is 41 min. I assumed - on the basis of the title track being 10 min, which was released first - that a 7-track LP might work out at 50-60 min. Nope, it is atypical

Where are you getting that 50-60 minutes is some sort of standard though? Most of Bowie's albums are 40 minutes. That is the normal length of a 12-inch record (the maximum is somewhere around 22 minutes per side iirc, but optimum sound is much shorter). Yes some people started making longer albums once they were releasing on CD only and not on records, and in the digital age all bets are off.. but a 40 minute album is still totally normal.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 8, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

Generally length only effects price when its a matter of format. EP vs LP vs double etc.

Yeah, exactly. New releases are often discounted, though. Maybe that's what the guy is seeing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I listened to "Blackstar" back when it was first released, but it was in the car while I was driving and I couldn't really get into it.

Now that the full album is out and I listened to it in headphones, holy moly. I thought The Next Day was good, but it didn't make an immediate impact on me outside of "first Bowie in a decade," but this is really, really good.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The new album is everything I ever wanted, as a massive Bowie fan. I can't help but be reminded of A New Career in a New Town when the harmonica comes in on the last track. If this is his last album it will be a fitting closer, but I hope it isn't.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Just finished listening to it, and I want more! The whole album had a great cohesive sound. And props for "Girl Loves Me" being littered with Nadsat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Girl Loves Me seems to be the most divisive track on the album. I've seen a few reviews who were left cold by it, but I really enjoyed it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HP Hovercraft posted:

The new album is everything I ever wanted, as a massive Bowie fan. I can't help but be reminded of A New Career in a New Town when the harmonica comes in on the last track. If this is his last album it will be a fitting closer, but I hope it isn't.

I completely agree, I think it must be intentional. Love it when I heard it first today.

cptn_dr posted:

Girl Loves Me seems to be the most divisive track on the album. I've seen a few reviews who were left cold by it, but I really enjoyed it.

I like it quite a bit too. There's no track on the album I don't like. And I think this version of 'Tis a Pity She's a Whore is much better than the single version. Something about the instrumentation on that one irked me.

Anyway I agree that this album is great and I'm enjoying it a lot. Love The Next Day for being a comeback after a long silence but there's only a few tracks I find myself coming back to a lot. This one is an excellent package.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

I'd actually put it up as the top track on it for me. It's just pure fun and the vocals are incredibly unique. It's a song only Bowie could do.
I also listened to Outside several times the past couple of days and musically this is such a good follow-up. I wish he'd do a thematic one too but this is absolutely excellent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hallo spacedog posted:

And I think this version of 'Tis a Pity She's a Whore is much better than the single version. Something about the instrumentation on that one irked me.

IIRC, he did the original (or at least a substantial portion of it) at home himself with a DAW. I could be wrong, though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Listened to it yesterday for the first time and I didn't think too highly of it. I'll give it another few listens because whenever a new album comes out I never really appreciate it first time because I'm too impatient to see what the next song will be like, if that makes sense.

Edit: Still not liking it after a second listen. I think it's pretty weak, nothing really memorable or stand out in my opinion. I liked The Next Day quite a bit but I'm not getting anything from Blackstar unfortunately.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 9, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Frankston posted:

Listened to it yesterday for the first time and I didn't think too highly of it. I'll give it another few listens because whenever a new album comes out I never really appreciate it first time because I'm too impatient to see what the next song will be like, if that makes sense.

Edit: Still not liking it after a second listen. I think it's pretty weak, nothing really memorable or stand out in my opinion. I liked The Next Day quite a bit but I'm not getting anything from Blackstar unfortunately.

As living proof of how subjective taste is I love this album. Definite Thin White Duke vibe coming through so the Station to Station comparison is apt in spite of the 40(!) year gap between the two. Jesus that album is almost as old as I am.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Hot drat, after listening to the album more-or-less on repeat since it dropped, I like it a lot better than TND. It sounds like a proper followup to Heathen (which is one of DB's most underrated albums, I think), and Bowie actually channels his Scott Walker fixation in an interesting way here. In this sense the title track is an incredible success; after almost 40 years and at least two failed attempts ("The Motel" and "Heat"), he's finally written his answer to "The Electrician." It's ominous, strange, catchy, and darkly funny all in equal measure, and I think it ranks up there with "Station to Station." I'm also really glad that he's willing to modulate his voice again after the spoken word fiascos on Outside; the "I'm a blackstar" bits call to mind the end of "Bewlay Brothers," and it's disconcerting as gently caress.

The new versions of "Sue" and "Tis a Pity" are both really good, if not terribly exciting considering how long the originals have been out. I think the album will age well once the fact that these two came out as singles fades from memory. Also, I think using Nadsat in 2016 is gimmicky and lame, but Bowie's weird-rear end cadence on "Girl Loves Me" constitutes some of the most distinctive vocal work he's ever done, and the song is great in the album sequence. And the final two ballads are both great. I got chills when the "New Career In a New Town" harmonica first came in.

I think "Lazarus" is the only real weak link. The lyrics are straightforward and kind of bad, honestly, and it doesn't really go anywhere. It's a damned good chord progression in there, though, and I think that with some more dynamic vocal work it could have been a real highlight of the album. It's not a bad song, but it's forgettable, especially sandwiched between "Sue" and "Tis a Pity." Strange choice for a single.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I just saw Lazarus and it was fantastic! Very surprising songlist, including a few songs that are either the deepest of cuts or haven't been recorded/released by Bowie. The (slighly spoiler-y) Slate review by the author of http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com hits on most of the points I would.

Oh, one spoiler-y story I can't resist: I had a front & center seat, and during "Valentine's Day," Valentine gestured me to pick up a balloon for him that had fallen off the stage (which he later popped in front of the girl who's name escapes me), and I obliged. That was one of the more terrifying interactions I've ever had with an actor.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

In the never-ending procession of albums from Bowie that have been hailed as "the best since Scary Monsters," this one joins Outside and Heathen as actually deserving it.

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah
Welp, Bowie's Twitter and Facebook are saying he passed away :(

https://www.facebook.com/davidbowie/posts/10153176666977665

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hoping for a hack

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 11, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, did he have cancer? I don't remember ever hearing about that.

That's gotta be a hoax. Weird that it's on the official page, though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fwiw the Twitter account is set up to auto-publish from FB so it would have only required accessing a single account, too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

His Wiki hasn't been updated and I'm not seeing any news stories about it anywhere besides that post, if that matters.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

on the site http://www.davidbowie.com/news/january-10-2016-55521

+ THR http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/legendary-artist-david-bowie-dies-854364?utm_source=twitter

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 11, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

loving hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loving hell, this is legitimately really sad :smith: :cry:

At least he was making loving incredible music up until (literally) the very end.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was about to say that Duncan Jones has been tweeting normally, but he confirmed it too a few seconds ago.

*Sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve2911 posted:

I was about to say that Duncan Jones has been tweeting normally, but he confirmed it too a few seconds ago.

*Sigh*
Oh gently caress :(

• Locked thread