Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Link

quote:

A recent study showed things are not at all bad for women aspiring for STEM faculty positions. According to researchers Stephen Ceci and Wendy Williams, they found no sexism in STEM faculty jobs as women tend to be employed for STEM tenure-track positions at a 2:1 ratio.

They conducted a survey of 900 faculty members from over 371 schools nationwide. They were tasked to evaluate fictional candidates and determine who is fit for assistance professorship in the fields of Economics, Psychology, Biology, and Engineering. Ceci and Williams found surprising results, Polymnia Hadjipanayiotou of Education News reported.

"Contrary to prevailing assumptions, men and women faculty members from all four fields preferred female applicants 2:1 over identically qualified males with matching lifestyles (single, married, divorced)," the researchers confirmed, noting that their findings are backed by real-world hiring data.

"It is a propitious time for women launching careers in academic science."

However, they discovered an exception where female candidates were not favored over their male counterparts with male evaluators who did not show any gender bias.

Female evaluators seemed to have favored divorced mothers over married fathers. Male faculty members, meanwhile, showed a preference toward mothers who have taken extended maternity leave over those who returned to work quickly.

"Women's perception that an extended maternity leave will cause them to be viewed as less committed to their profession may influence some women to opt out entirely," Ceci and Williams explained in a CNN opinion piece. "Anti-female bias in academic hiring has ended."

Both researchers attributed the shift to the increasing gender awareness, changing cultural values, and aging faculty members.

However, Ceci and Williams noted there are some cases where female candidates were four times as likely to be hired in STEM positions over equally-qualified male candidates. This led to their conclusion that gender bias did not cause the small number of women in STEM fields. They said the small representation of women in the sector was caused by their own reluctance to enter these fields. One of the primary reasons, according to them, is the fact that strong female role models and mentors are absent from their lives.

As a female computer science major, I'm kind of happy about this. My classes are total sausagefests right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm vaguely involved in hiring/firing decisions and I know I would have a strong preference for a female candidate over an equally qualified male candidate. A well qualified female candidate probably worked twice as hard as her male counterpart.

This is theoretical though, as I've yet to interview a woman.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i'm glad there's an equally available pool of men & women

although in seriousness the science part is usually pretty gender equal, it's the engineering side that's male dominated

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i always think about female guitarists when this comes up

there are loads of female virtuosos in like, almost every instrument. probably not equal representation but you're certainly not surprised to find out that a woman is an amazing pianist.

but when you find out a woman is really good at the guitar? mindblown

actually now that i think about it, there's probably a lot of weird instrument gendering in classical music

and i dont know the name of a single female composer off the top of my head.

and i guess i dont really know of any female jazz artists.

maybe the difference is that we're comfortable with women playing instruments, as long as they're playing music a man wrote and are being led by a male conductor??

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 25, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
am i allowed to post ironic gendered insults and creepy bizarro-HR world fiction itt or is this a YOSPOS cjs-thread spinoff safespace?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

am i allowed to post ironic gendered insults and creepy bizarro-HR world fiction itt or is this a YOSPOS cjs-thread spinoff safespace?

all the ladies out there, ive got a stem you can look up to

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I'm vaguely involved in hiring/firing decisions and I know I would have a strong preference for a female candidate over an equally qualified male candidate. A well qualified female candidate probably worked twice as hard as her male counterpart.

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i didnt mean 'they have to work twice as hard because of their smaller brains' but it sure reads that way

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is actually a tragedy that male shoegaze got his contract at all, and that it didnt rightfully go to a 2x performing female. do you feel ashamed that you are benefitting from your immense and undeserved privilege

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
our building is 100% technology staff, 20% female

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

it is actually a tragedy that male shoegaze got his contract at all, and that it didnt rightfully go to a 2x performing female. do you feel ashamed that you are benefitting from your immense and undeserved privilege

ya daily

and it didnt go to a 2x performing female because no women applied for the job. thank goodness.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyhow i'm going to recuse myself from this thread because i intended to post in good faith but now i feel like i'm shitposting all over it

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ya daily

and it didnt go to a 2x performing female because no women applied for the job. thank goodness.

What kind of job was it, exactly? It seems crazy to me that exactly zero women would apply.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's such a hilarious scam that "technology" gets lumped in with science, engineering and math

learning programming or it stuff isn't nearly as demanding or even a fraction as valuable as the other fields

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

gas the hugbox

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Clochette posted:

What kind of job was it, exactly? It seems crazy to me that exactly zero women would apply.

the insidious nature of patriarchy at work imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if i could choose between a male programmer, and an equally skilled programmer with big firm tits, knee socks, and a miniskirt - ide choose the vile goon. -said nobody ever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like when women put their measurements, or at least a headshot on the resume

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

if i could choose between a male programmer, and an equally skilled programmer with big firm tits, knee socks, and a miniskirt - ide choose the vile goon. -said nobody ever

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Stymie posted:

it's such a hilarious scam that "technology" gets lumped in with science, engineering and math

learning programming or it stuff isn't nearly as demanding or even a fraction as valuable as the other fields
help im agreeing with stymie

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Clochette posted:

well i have no idea, some women might have applied. we've been hiring for the same role though and we barely have any applicants, let alone female ones.

we mostly hire through recruiters here for some stupid reason, so maybe the recruiters are bad about seeking out women. i mean, given that they want to send us candidates we're likely to hire, and given that they are certainly aware of sexism in the tech industry, it wouldn't surprise me if recruiters screen out women (intentionally or unintentionally).

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
great avatar-post combo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well i have no idea, some women might have applied. we've been hiring for the same role though and we barely have any applicants, let alone female ones.

ill be right over

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

ill be right over

valeyard i would unironically and enthusiastically hire you over everyone we've interviewed so far

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Tiffany, could you give me a hand with this programming algorythm thing? sure, she replies. she leans over you, the smell of her perfume sending your senses into overload, her supple busom pressing aginst my cheek. this is making concentrating ... easier? this hard boner is increasing my skills? if you peek out of the corner of your eye.. while shes leaning there.. whats that between the buttons? a slight peek at her lacy bra?? I am now a Programming God :vince:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
heck yeah some yospos nepotism get in

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

heck yeah some yospos nepotism get in

even if i had no idea who he was, i guarantee you valeyard could walk into an interview and blow all of our previous candidates out of the water.

at least on technical skills and stuff. no idea what valeyard would be like to work with.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

Tiffany, could you give me a hand with this programming algorythm thing? sure, she replies. she leans over you, the smell of her perfume sending your senses into overload, her supple busom pressing aginst my cheek. this is making concentrating ... easier? this hard boner is increasing my skills? if you peek out of the corner of your eye.. while shes leaning there.. whats that between the buttons? a slight peek at her lacy bra?? I am now a Programming God :vince:

img-a young smythe hiding his erection from the dental hygienist.png

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

valeyard i would unironically and enthusiastically hire you over everyone we've interviewed so far

:smugmrgw:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

even if i had no idea who he was, i guarantee you valeyard could walk into an interview and blow all of our previous candidates out of the water.

at least on technical skills and stuff. no idea what valeyard would be like to work with.

id get imposter synndrome on day 1 and probably never recover. although i think you had a touch of that but seemingly not anymore

its weird that you dont get many people applying with technical skills. do you think they arent familiar with the company and its just another job on the list

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the owner of the place I'm working is a foreigner who speaks mostly in english so he's trying to hire people with decent english skills

it's sad to watch the candidates with "advanced fluent english" on their resumes just meltdown in front of him without being able to answer "how are you?"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

:smugmrgw:
id get imposter synndrome on day 1 and probably never recover. although i think you had a touch of that but seemingly not anymore

not everyone who works here is a kernel developer. i had (realistically) one year of professional programming experience and 2 years of 'loving around' experience when i started here and i'm doing really well. i had way more imposter syndrome at my last job, where every developer was allowed access to the production console.

quote:

its weird that you dont get many people applying with technical skills. do you think they arent familiar with the company and its just another job on the list

yeah i think it basically comes down to the fact that it's a "contract for hire" position at a relatively corporate gig. absolutely a good job but it doesn't look great on paper.

making the jump made a lot of sense for me, since i was so inexperienced and getting the brand name on my resume alone was worth making the jump. but i dont think it would make sense for most people, especially people who aren't straight out of college who might already have families, etc.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2015

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I went back to this one laboratory that I used to work to see if I could find good candidates there, and there was this girl who seemed super great

she didn't apply because she didn't think her coding skills were good enough :sigh:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

making the jump made a lot of sense for me, since i was so inexperienced and getting the brand name on my resume alone was worth making the jump. but i dont think it would make sense for most people, especially people who aren't straight out of college who might already have families, etc.

see id have thought that it would be a place where almost every role would be asking for a couple of years experience, scaring away all the fresh college grads

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why do women try so hard??? they are making me look bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

why do women try so hard??? they are making me look bad

yea, in heels

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

see id have thought that it would be a place where almost every role would be asking for a couple of years experience, scaring away all the fresh college grads

we are, but imo we dont offer enough money to snag people with experience. at least not anyone good.

i talked my manager into removing the experience requirements from our recruitment process (now we're just looking for college grads with some stuff on github) and we've been getting more bites.

fyi i'm sub 6 figures as a contractor, which is pretty lovely. it is, however, a very good job otherwise and i'll be very nicely set up when i get hired.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Light the MRA signal!!!
*giant fedora projects into sky*

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Clochette posted:

Link

As a female computer science major, I'm kind of happy about this. My classes are total sausagefests right now.

Is it still as bad as 13 years ago? Two women in our entire year for compsci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
here's the actual study, if anyone wanted to look at it (it's three links deep from the OP)

wonder what sort of results you'd get in industry

• Locked thread