Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

i see quite a few stem job ads that specify they will give preference to women where possible, it's good imo

there are no women in my lab of about 15 people, a woman applied for the last job we posted and we had to borrow a female interviewer from another department to sit on the panel lol. it's bad

y'all are trying, that's part of the solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

i see quite a few stem job ads that specify they will give preference to women where possible, it's good imo

there are no women in my lab of about 15 people, a woman applied for the last job we posted and we had to borrow a female interviewer from another department to sit on the panel lol. it's bad

Maybe those companies should advertise their maternity plans, flexible work hours, generous leave and other stuff that women want. Maybe then women would apply :raise:

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

homercles posted:

flexible work hours, generous leave and other stuff that women want.

dudes don't want this?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love working as basically the only dude at my job. idk why guys talk about boring poo poo or outdo each other. girls talk about makeup sometimes and have nicer voices. end of day though lovely people in any gender

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BooLoo posted:

dudes don't want this?

I want Jeff Bezos to forcibly disrobe me and stomp on my scrotum when my output falls below acceptable levels

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

homercles posted:

Maybe those companies should advertise their maternity plans, flexible work hours, generous leave and other stuff that women want. Maybe then women would apply :raise:

that's not it at all. the problem is they aren't entering college for computer stuff and that's because they aren't getting interested in it in middle/high school like every dude in computers. its not cool to be a loser nerd and it wont ever be so idk if this problem ever changes.

the reason there are so few women applying is there are so few women qualified to do the work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BooLoo posted:

dudes don't want this?

we do and lots of places provide it but you only ever hear about the lovely startups and their dumb policies cause that's good click bait.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shaggar posted:

its not cool to be a loser nerd and it wont ever be so idk if this problem ever changes.

computers havent been loser nerd poo poo for like fifteen years now, grandpa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no they're still loser nerd poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
at best they're part of making business work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
even in college, attrition rates for women are like twice as high as for men

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

it's OK to own a computer but if you don't just throw it away to moment it stops working then you're a nerd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah college is pretty lovely and most stem professors should have been fired 15 years ago.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hot white girl leaving from zumba class in her brand new escalade and sipping on a pumpkin spice latte. she is heading home to her husband mark who makes $350,000 as regional sales manager and who played football in college. suddenly, a terrified look on her face...she screams and drops her iphone, breaking its screen yet again. "Oh my God!" she exclaims. "I could be putting numbers in a computer right now while surrounded by fat smelly manchildren! It's too late for me, I'll never be a Technology major now!" she pushes her ugg boot down firmly on the accelerator and plows into the next embankment she sees

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nice misogyny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah dumb basic white dudes like pumpkin spice too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pic of qirex standing in line at Starbucks

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Dislike button posted:

hot white girl leaving from zumba class in her brand new escalade and sipping on a pumpkin spice latte. she is heading home to her husband mark who makes $350,000 as regional sales manager and who played football in college. suddenly, a terrified look on her face...she screams and drops her iphone, breaking its screen yet again. "Oh my God!" she exclaims. "I could be putting numbers in a computer right now while surrounded by fat smelly manchildren! It's too late for me, I'll never be a Technology major now!" she pushes her ugg boot down firmly on the accelerator and plows into the next embankment she sees

actually they exist they just usually work on the product team telling the smelly manchildren what to do to appease marketing/sales/clients.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Dislike button posted:

LOL

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

actually they exist they just usually work on the product team telling the smelly manchildren what to do to appease marketing/sales/clients.

yeah of all the female comp sci majors I went to school with most ended up moving to project management. good project managers are even harder to find than good developers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you mean someone who actually does anything ??

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Shaggar posted:

good project managers are even harder to find than good developers

this is god's truth. client side i've come across two in the last ten years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had a good one on one project w/ a 3rd party and then she of course got stolen away by some other group in her company and I got stuck w/ some scrubs.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BooLoo posted:

this is god's truth. client side i've come across two in the last ten years

I have always had great project managers and always been grateful to them for handling a wide swathe of stuff which I never want to have to deal with

here's to you, person I've worked with/for for years, thanks for existing and not quitting :)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qntm posted:

I have always had great project managers and always been grateful to them for handling a wide swathe of stuff which I never want to have to deal with

here's to you, person I've worked with/for for years, thanks for existing and not quitting :)

it's always rad when you get to work with people who are good at their job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
other oharmacist I work with is good

she may not feel the same way lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

other oharmacist I work with is good

she may not feel the same way lol

about herself or about you?

it's never about you. this isnt how it works here on sa: the dangerous feminism den of the internet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im likey not the hardest worker

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

it's always rad when you get to work with people who are good at their job

oh and another thing

managers who are on our side rather than the executives' side, and are willing/able to push back on our behalf when we say something is garbage, and even shield us from the backlash

are gold and I love them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qntm posted:

are gold and I love them

lol, as if managers like that were as ordinary or common as mere gold

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah, as awful as bad managers are, good managers are awesome and super great. one of the best things about current job, actually

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
ya its pretty great when people do their jobs and make yours less hard

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the difficult thin is to recognize that management is about optimizing and solving the bits and pieces that fall into the gaps between specialization sin a given team.

management and leadership are different things i think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a good manager will probably be more effective if they are also a good leader?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I think we can all agree that executives should be put to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shaggar posted:

that's not it at all. the problem is they aren't entering college for computer stuff and that's because they aren't getting interested in it in middle/high school like every dude in computers. its not cool to be a loser nerd and it wont ever be so idk if this problem ever changes.

the reason there are so few women applying is there are so few women qualified to do the work.

We need to get more women to read YOSPOS.

• Locked thread