Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
winkle just talk about your extensive criminal history and love of bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Athanatos posted:

It's your civic duty! Just go and serve.

Unironically this. People who lie to get out of jury duty are unquestionably lovely people*.

*Only exception is if serving jury duty will seriously impact you in a negative way, such as loss of job or something similar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do the Panthers play the Packers this season?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Pretend you know things like everyone itt

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In 2 weeks.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Donkwich posted:

you just described the ideal juror

e:f;b

axeil posted:

Nah prosecutors love stupid jurors.

Say you're an expert in forensic evidence.

Or Bayesian statistics. True story, a mathematicians testimony once got thrown out of a courtroom because a judge didn't believe Bayesian probability meant the witness was actually almost certain to be wrong.

well i learned somethign today

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

three posted:

In 2 weeks.

That should be fun go Big Cats

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Andrew Luck is a fraud

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To the op

announce you do not believe in punishment for crime and that you are also a member of the KKK.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

blue squares posted:

Unironically this. People who lie to get out of jury duty are unquestionably lovely people*.

*Only exception is if serving jury duty will seriously impact you in a negative way, such as loss of job or something similar.

peremptory strikes are actually kind of dumb though so you should do your best to have them wasted

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol the Colts are 3-4 but 0-4 outside the AFC South.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes, unfortunately.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

old dog child posted:

well i learned somethign today

A little more background on this. The case in question hinged on witness testimony swearing that he saw a blue car in the evening. The defense called in a car salesman who gave information around how many blue vs black cars are on the road in that model. They then called in an optometrist who said there's an 85 percent chance that the witness could see the car. Then they finally brought in the mathematician who said that given how few blue cars there are compared to black cars and the 85 percent likelihood, it is more likely that the witness actually saw a black car than a blue car.

Upon hearing this the judge got agitated and called a mistrial.

Bayesian statistics are weird yo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

just go with the nullifcation excuse. it works and the option least likely to make everyone hate you

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

three posted:

This should be a really interesting game. Eagles were up 38-7 in the 3rd quarter vs the Panthers last year.

I was at that game last year. It owned

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Do your civic duty and do it proud.

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Costas doesn't wash his hands after taking a dump.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Lawyers want blank slates for jurors. Simple farmers, people of the land, the common clay of the new west.

You know, morons.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ask them if they have stairs

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jota posted:

I was at that game last year. It owned

You going to watch the game with us Jota? :D

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I was a jury foreman, it was neat. Used lots of colored sharpies to diagram a timeline, delivered a verdict.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Who is the favorite in this anyway?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just The Facts posted:

Who is the favorite in this anyway?

the plaintiff

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

Lawyers want blank slates for jurors. Simple farmers, people of the land, the common clay of the new west.

You know, morons.

Add to the list of morons "people who hasn't seen 12 angry men"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Was the sideline reporter for the Giants-Cowboys game crying? Did someone tragically die on the field or something?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I was a jury foreman, it was neat. Used lots of colored sharpies to diagram a timeline, delivered a verdict.

How similar was it to 12 Angry Men?

Were you strangely aroused to have the fate of another person in your hands? Did you find the power intoxicating?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Was the sideline reporter for the Giants-Cowboys game crying? Did someone tragically die on the field or something?

Yeah the Cowboys playoff hopes

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
just show them your extensive titty collection OP. also us

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I did jury duty once, and got picked to actually sit on the jury. I would have been pissed if I wasn't in the middle of a super depressing low point in life of 6 months unemployment after getting a second college degree. 3 days wasted, judge threw out the case because of lack of evidence. He came in to the deliberation room after to tell us why and he was pretty cool. He was pissed at the state for bringing such a limp dick case against a guy well known to be a mid tier heroin pusher with a long history of priors. I did learn that if you really want to deal drugs without consequence, just hire minors to push for you and use burners. Have the kids take the fall for possession, they just get some easy time in juvie and you just pay them a little for their silence.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

What was the case?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

How similar was it to 12 Angry Men?

Were you strangely aroused to have the fate of another person in your hands? Did you find the power intoxicating?

Not really? We did have several rounds of voting on some of the counts but nobody paced, sweated and wanted out to go to a ball game.

The whole process was fascinating, case was depressing-- sexual assault in a Wendy's restroom.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

A little more background on this. The case in question hinged on witness testimony swearing that he saw a blue car in the evening. The defense called in a car salesman who gave information around how many blue vs black cars are on the road in that model. They then called in an optometrist who said there's an 85 percent chance that the witness could see the car. Then they finally brought in the mathematician who said that given how few blue cars there are compared to black cars and the 85 percent likelihood, it is more likely that the witness actually saw a black car than a blue car.

Upon hearing this the judge got agitated and called a mistrial.

Bayesian statistics are weird yo.

Judges who don't understand base rate fallacy should be disbarred

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Not really? We did have several rounds of voting on some of the counts but nobody paced, sweated and wanted out to go to a ball game.

The whole process was fascinating, case was depressing-- sexual assault in a Wendy's restroom.

Aw poo poo. That sounds really sad.

Did you find guilty or not guilty?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My neighbors had a tailgate for the MNF game last week and let me bum some food and beer off of them, sadly they don't seem to be out here tonight :( However their previous kindness dictates that I root for Philly tonight.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Qwijib0 posted:

redheads, man

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It is correct to toss out Bayesian Statistics in court. Using statistics to hone down on a suspect during an investigation is fine, but using it to define guilt or innocence is not comparable. Sorry yall

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

hahah Kirk Cousins

https://vine.co/v/eYBbTpLquPd

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

I have to report to court tomorrow to see if they pick me for Jury Duty, what the gently caress do I have to do to get out of it? My grandma just said go in and be a giant racist, is it really that easy?

"Your honor, I'm a Cowboys fan...."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Madcosby posted:

It is correct to toss out Bayesian Statistics in court. Using statistics to hone down on a suspect during an investigation is fine, but using it to define guilt or innocence is not comparable. Sorry yall

How? The defense was attempting to show that the witness really wasn't as certain as she said she was. Seems legitimate to me.

I mean witness testimony is garbage anyway, but I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that, statistically, the person on the stand isn't absolutely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I just got back from a wedding. How was football today.

• Locked thread